Leaky carb

Last year when I put the old girl away for the winter I noticed the carb for no.2 cylinder leaking from the throttle shaft. Is there a seal or bushing that could be replaced or is the carb body just wearing out?

375dbb5a060170663e9e6efd0878d650.jpg

almost certainly the float needle is leaking in that carb.   if you remove the top of the air box and the filter you may see wet fuel bubbling up from the needle hole under the slide.

• Member Contributer

This site has some excellent info and how to's on V4 carbs including your 4th gen - sections 1, 17-21 and 32.  Section 18 may be of particular interest in your situation. 

http://v4dreams.com/maintenance.html

• Member Contributer

It is theoretically possible to completely disassemble VFR carburetors, but I've never done it and wouldn't fancy doing it.  Even separating them gives me the heebie jeebies!  I'm also not sure if there would be replacement seals/bushings available to refurbish the shaft seals, but Keihan carbs are so common I wouldn't be surprised if such parts were available somewhere.  I'd have a look at how much a set of used (but complete) carbs cost on eBay, were I in your position.

Ciao,

JZH

On 3/28/2021 at 5:10 AM, JZH said:

..........  I'd have a look at how much a set of used (but complete) carbs cost on eBay, were I in your position.

chances are that any ebay set of used carbs may have problems and need a proper cleaning at least. 

• Member Contributer

send them to Gordon @ http://customcarbservices.com

Leaky O-rings, seals, float valves are probably not only issue you have. You can get full restoration with EVERYTHING repaired/replaced to brand-new condition for just couple hundred. I send several sets in per year and they come back immaculate! 

Bike have never run better!

i do rebuilds on vf and vfr carbs also from this and the other vfr site, my work is guaranteed, and prices are reasonable. been doing carbs since my early days as a sportscar mechanic starting around 1964 .additionally, i have a special technique that does a superior job of bench-synching and eliminates the need for using gauges in 99% of cases.

12-1-17_176.JPG.855a0e6828772e377747193f47761e4d.thumb.JPG.cb2f4738ee396bb4576d68eaad924c44.JPG

Archived