Repairing thread on the clutch slave cylinder

styran

• Member Contributer
On 4/13/2021 at 6:45 AM, styran said:

I really wish I saw your reply before doing what I did cause now I'm really fucked & I don't know how to get this thing out

Don’t panic mate - it’s fixable. 

This is what I’d do if it were mine: 

1. buy a new shifter cage thing (not sure what it’s called?) off eBay. Looks like this one from a 6th gen and very cheap...

ABE3C261-E78D-4723-AABE-F09E2777241D.thumb.png.c0324a68e60df722df0b89840a74e69b.png
2. Remove clutch slave, speedo and sprocket cover. Get everything off and out the way

3. Remove all bolts so only the broken bolt is left holding your “shifter cage thing” on

4. take a Dremel or angle grinder and CAREFULLY cut around the bolt hole where the broken bolt resides. The rest of the cage should just pull off as it’s only held with dowels. DON’T CUT INTO YOUR ENGINE! 

5. if you’ve done it right the only thing left should be the broken bolt and the piece of cage it’s stuck in. Now just grab it with a pair of pliers and unscrew it off. 

It’s very easy this way. Plus, you’ll have access to rethread the stripped hole properly with everything out the way. 

If you don’t have a Dremel/grinder you could probably snap off pieces of the “shifter cage thingy” with a pair of stout pliers. These cast aluminium pieces are very brittle. 

You may also want to buy a new bearing for the shifter shaft whilst you’re in there. Also very cheap.

Have fun! 

Stray

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Drove up and met Styran this morning and helped him out. Very nice young man with great curiosity, and intuition for mechanical things. Great to see that, as it has become rare these days.

Turns out he had also snapped an extractor off in the bolt, trying to get it out, and those things are hardened. We were able to eventually get through that with some diamond dremel bits, and some patience. Then I was able to drill the remaining tip of the bolt and get it out with an extractor. Finally I was able to remove the old heli-coil. We cleaned, re-tapped, and cleaned the hole again. I had him order a longer heli-coil from McMaster Carr, so he will get full engagement. So far so good, and it looks like the repair should be solid.

20210501_095521.jpg

20210501_095526.jpg

20210501_095646.jpg

• Member Contributer

Great effort and write up RC1237V. Styran is very fortunate to have someone with your expertise go out of their way to help him out. VFRD at its Best.:fing02:

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, RC1237V said:

Drove up and met Styran this morning and helped him out. Very nice young man with great curiosity, and intuition for mechanical things. Great to see that, as it has become rare these days.

Turns out he had also snapped an extractor off in the bolt, trying to get it out, and those things are hardened. We were able to eventually get through that with some diamond dremel bits, and some patience. Then I was able to drill the remaining tip of the bolt and get it out with an extractor. Finally I was able to remove the old heli-coil. We cleaned, re-tapped, and cleaned the hole again. I had him order a longer heli-coil from McMaster Carr, so he will get full engagement. So far so good, and it looks like the repair should be solid.

I'd give this post 3 likes if I could . . .  Well done! 

• Member Contributer

Awesome job!!! 👍🏼

This reminds me of teenager who brought in cylinder-head to my shop with broken-bolt wedged in real tight. It also had broken extractor and TWO broken drill bits in there!

On 5/1/2021 at 4:28 PM, RC1237V said:

20210501_095521.jpg

20210501_095526.jpg

20210501_095646.jpg

I put the new coil in and it holds up great. Now I'm just praying I don't get any oil leaks.

I managed to get the engine running again and I'm getting close to getting it back on the road.

Thanks again for your help, advice, and generosity

• Member Contributer
On 5/2/2021 at 12:28 AM, RC1237V said:

This is why I love this forum. Guys like RC1237V helping a fellow rider. Good on you mate - really proud to be on the same forum as you!

On 5/2/2021 at 8:39 AM, DannoXYZ said:

Awesome job!!! 👍🏼

This reminds me of teenager who brought in cylinder-head to my shop with broken-bolt wedged in real tight. It also had broken extractor and TWO broken drill bits in there!

Oh my - that sounds like a mechanic’s worst nightmare. Bet you regretted opening the shop that day! 

4 hours ago, styran said:

I put the new coil in and it holds up great. Now I'm just praying I don't get any oil leaks.

I managed to get the engine running again and I'm getting close to getting it back on the road.

So please for you, Styran. Looks like you have a pretty good handle on mechanics and also the maturity to know when to ask for help. Even the world’s best get it wrong sometimes and it takes guts to ask for help. Well done getting this over the line! 

• Member Contributer

Awesome that you got this fixed, it was starting to sound like a real nightmare. As HighSideNZ said, do it once and do it right. I hate HeliCoils more for the opportunity they provide for misuse, and also prefer Keensert type inserts for their longevity. I routinely have to fix Helicoiled holes, and often the problem isn't the original Helicoil install but the fact that the next person that touched it felt Loctite was necessary, and then the person after them extracted the helical with the bolt it was now bonded to.

:beatdeadhorse:

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, styran said:

You're welcome! Looks like it will be done in time for the good riding weather!

Archived