Spring time, getting ready to ride and now a fault.

trmoyer

Getting the old girl ready to come out of hibernation, walked by and noticed a drip on the garage floor, sigh........ First thing, pull the fairings and started looking. No leak at the water pump, I was relieved as I replaced that last year. Chase the drip up around and through, remove the coolant expansion tank following the trail into the black hole of an engine valley. Start pulling the air box apart to remove it. I greatly dislike this part!!!! Honda did us no favors engineering and building this area. Lose so I can pick it up some and move it around some but still no dice, I couldn’t see anything. I started it up and let her run a couple minutes. More looking and I finally could see where the leak was. The connection in the middle of rear head. I managed to get a socket on the hose clamp, snugged it down a little so now we’ll see if it holds.

Next. 

Now, I have a fault flashing, I believe I disturbed a plug or something to one of the injectors. It’s a quick double blink with a 2 second pause. So, that’ll be the next project. Prop the tank back up, pull the air box back apart, put a hand on all the connections and see if it clears. Not how I wanted to start the season. 

• Member Contributer

An easily missed electrical connection to the airbox is the plug to the inlet air temp sensor.  It's located on the bottom of the box and is white.  After getting the air horns unscrewed, just lift the box slighly from the clutch side and see if it's plugged in.

It’s going to be a Saturday project I think. Take the time to pick and poke at everything. Besides it’ll be oil change time, run some fresh Dot 4 through the lines, check the brake pads and chain. Do the once over check before riding season commences. 

• Member Contributer

Two blinks indicates a MAP sensor issue. Check for a "loose or poor connection of the MAP sensor vacuum hose".

Also check you haven't electrically unplugged it.

29 minutes ago, Grum said:

Two blinks indicates a MAP sensor issue. Check for a "loose or poor connection of the MAP sensor vacuum hose".

Also check you haven't electrically unplugged it.

Makes perfect sense. When I was trying to get to the leak I had the bottom of the air box partially undone and lose enough to get a socked & extension down in the the suspect clamp. I had the vacuum lines off and a couple plugs disconnected. 

A reminder to pay better attention when having to dig back into this thing lol. 

I went back and completely removed the air box, double checked everything, connections, hose clamps and vacuum lines when reassembling. Started her up and no blinking light 😊 

As always, thank you Grum!!!!!! 

• Member Contributer

The size of American vehicles never stops to amaze me.... 

Or is that a refrigiration truck?  :laugh:

Progress, slow but steady they say (well someone said one time). I flushed some fresh Dot 4 through the lines, front, back and clutch. I didn’t go hog wild but bleed the lines until the fluid looked good then ran a bit more through. Total flush no but it’s better than nothing. I’ll order some brake pads today for the front, the rear is looking alright still. I’m not much of a rear brake user anyway. 

D8067D5E-5B02-4BFE-B4AB-0D02D106907D.jpeg

12DA7C73-E4FB-4A05-9786-2DE024274A91.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Be sure to get good fluid through the SMC, that can cause problems if neglected. There is a bleeding guide in the forums. 

That is s really clean machine - looks good.  

24 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

Be sure to get good fluid through the SMC, that can cause problems if neglected. There is a bleeding guide in the forums. 

That is s really clean machine - looks good.  

I read through the procedure and I’m glad you mentioned it. I’ve read bits and pieces about bleeding the system in other posts & forums in the past and it’ll be a 2 person job that’s for sure, at least in my garage. Another situation where Honda didn’t do some of us folks any favors. De-linking and getting rid of that mess may be an option at some point but it’s not a priority. Maybe a project when the VFR is a secondary bike. 

Thank you. For her age she looks alright from a few feet away. With 22,149 miles on the clock, being a fair weather bike most of her life and living inside has really helped. She’d be a nice restoration project if someone so inclined. Someday maybe. 

Archived