Lowered Peg Questions - Brake Pedal Clearance

I recently found a "new, old-stock" 2014 VFR800 at a local Honda dealership and brought it home.  I love everything about the bike except for the peg height since my 50yr old knees aren't quite as flexible as they used to be.  I've found several different varieties of lowered pegs for the 8th gen bikes, but I was curious about how well they integrate with the brake pedal.  I have the quick shifter and it seems to have enough adjustability to accommodate the change, but the brake pedal looks problematic to me as it appears that a lowered peg would place the pedal high enough to interfere with my boots.  (I wear size 15 boots, so I'm aware I'm a bit out of the norm when it comes to foot room on the pegs.)

If you have lowered pegs on your 8th gen VFR, did you have to do any mods to the brake pedal or is it a non-issue?  

Thanks in advance for any info.  

• Member Contributer

Before you go spending money have you tried the changing seat the seat height ....front on low, rear high and vice versa?

I had my seat reupholstered and the seat padding raised by 1” which is much more comfortable 

Thurn motorsport do lowered pegs by LSL 

• Member Contributer

There are probably as many or more lowered pegs on G6s as G8s, and AFAIK the step hardware is the same. On mine I used a small cutoff wheel to take 1 to 1 1/2 threads off the master cylinder pushrod.  That allowed for the pedal to angle down sufficiently,  but still enough adjustability to go back to stock. You'll also have to rig an extension for the brake light switch.  I used a small split ring through the pedal to attach the spring . 

2 hours ago, Thumbs said:

Before you go spending money have you tried the changing seat the seat height ....front on low, rear high and vice versa?

I had my seat reupholstered and the seat padding raised by 1” which is much more comfortable 

Thurn motorsport do lowered pegs by LSL 

Yes.  I've made sure the seat is as high as possible.  But with a 38" inseam, it's still not quite enough.  I think another 1" - 1.5" of legroom would be just enough to be comfortable without resorting to seat mods.  The latter have always required me to get risers for the clip-ons, so I prefer to lower my feet rather than raise my butt.  

2 hours ago, Cogswell said:

There are probably as many or more lowered pegs on G6s as G8s, and AFAIK the step hardware is the same. On mine I used a small cutoff wheel to take 1 to 1 1/2 threads off the master cylinder pushrod.  That allowed for the pedal to angle down sufficiently,  but still enough adjustability to go back to stock. You'll also have to rig an extension for the brake light switch.  I used a small split ring through the pedal to attach the spring . 

That sounds perfect.  Thank you!

There was a member here..... BLS or Busy Little Shop that made aluminum lowering blocks for the 6th gen vfrs.  I purchased a set ages ago with good results.    I finally bought some 20mm risers for comfort just this year.     Small changes but they made a huge difference in comfort for me at 6 ft w/34 inch inseam.  

• Member Contributer

I used the BLS blocks on my 5th gen and had to shorten the brake rod and clearance the back of the block a bit for the pedal, but they were well made and definitely helped my comfort.  Another tip that might interest you with your size 15 canoes is that the shift lever from an Aprilia Tuono bolts right on and is about an inch shorter than stock. 

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, LEGEND said:

There was a member here..... BLS or Busy Little Shop that made aluminum lowering blocks for the 6th gen vfrs.  I purchased a set ages ago with good results.    I finally bought some 20mm risers for comfort just this year.     Small changes but they made a huge difference in comfort for me at 6 ft w/34 inch inseam.  

Peg Blocks are specially designed using billet 6061 T6 aluminum for
the VFR800 years (5th Gen 98 to 01) and (6th Gen 02 on 09) and (8th
Gen 14 on up)... they will effectively lower Honda's foot peg 1.5
inches (38mm) from the stock position... PM for more...

Good to know you are still making the lowering blocks.   I remember when I lived in Rancho Cordova I picked up my lowering blocks from you personally and got to visit your nice shop and see the RC45.   Your lowering blocks are very good quality and they make long rides very comfortable.      Highly recommended to anyone looking for more leg room. 

On 3/25/2021 at 4:20 PM, BusyLittleShop said:

Gen 14 on up)... they will effectively lower Honda's foot peg 1.5
inches (38mm) from the stock position... PM for more...

Oh, I wish I had known about this option before I bought the Knight Design pegs.  I got them installed this weekend and adjusted the pedal/shifter to accommodate the lower position and I'm pretty happy overall, but I wish I'd been able to retain the stock pegs as I I prefer the way they feel.  The Knights pegs have an aggressive texture that really grabs my boots and makes it a bit more difficult to slide my foot back and forth.  I'll give it a couple of weeks to see if I get used to it, but if not I'll be in touch.

Regardless, I'm glad to know there are other options available.  Thanks for chiming in!

• Member Contributer

You can do vertical cut and chop off peg portion of Knight Design. Then drill hole and use factory pegs.

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, SpookyDriver said:

Regardless, I'm glad to know there are other options available.  Thanks for chiming in!

You're welcome... Peg Blocks are a VFRD exclusive product...

• Member Contributer
On 3/25/2021 at 2:20 PM, BusyLittleShop said:

Gen 14 on up)...

Hiya, Larry,

They'd also fit on VTR1000F '98-'05, CBR600F4i, and CBR1100XX. The VTR1000F and the 5th gen VFR800 use the same footpegs. The 6th gen VFR, CBR600F4i, and CBR1100XX all use the same footpegs. And the 6th gen pegs fit on 5th gen. So that's three more Hondas that your lowering blocks ought to fit.

Of course, they might require a little more fiddling for the rear brake linkage.

Decided to order a set of the BLS blocks after almost dumping the bike when my boot got hung up on the Knight's pegs.  Until the BLS blocks arrive and I can reattach the OEM pegs, I've wrapped the Knight's with gaffers tape to keep the "teeth" from grabbing the treads on my riding boots.  Looks like crap, but it will do the job for a few days.  

• 6 months later...

Hi.  I know this is an old thread . . I use the Knight Design rubber-grip lowering pegs on my 2015 VFR.  Had to cut about a quarter inch off the push rod to gain proper adjustment.  But works perfectly.  I am 6 ft, and also have the seat raised in the factory brackets.  Very comfortable!  No problems with changes in geometry or handling.  Best, Brett

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2021 at 3:28 PM, SpookyDriver said:

I recently found a "new, old-stock" 2014 VFR800 at a local Honda dealership and brought it home.  I love everything about the bike except for the peg height since my 50yr old knees aren't quite as flexible as they used to be.  I've found several different varieties of lowered pegs for the 8th gen bikes, but I was curious about how well they integrate with the brake pedal.  I have the quick shifter and it seems to have enough adjustability to accommodate the change, but the brake pedal looks problematic to me as it appears that a lowered peg would place the pedal high enough to interfere with my boots.  (I wear size 15 boots, so I'm aware I'm a bit out of the norm when it comes to foot room on the pegs.)

If you have lowered pegs on your 8th gen VFR, did you have to do any mods to the brake pedal or is it a non-issue?  

Thanks in advance for any info.  

With the 2015 and later VFR, the brake pedal height is adjustable. It is not necessary to perform any modifications to the brake pedal height.

Archived