RC30 Replica Research

JuicySpices

Question

I've recently been considering converting an '89 RC24 into an RC30 replica next winter, and started to do some research before committing. I've found quite a lot of useful information however there's a few things I haven't been able to find aswell as a few questions on parts and was hoping someone here might be able to help.

I'd be going for as close of a replica as possible but a few things I've had no luck finding what might be able to be used for the replica. Primarily the headlight and dash units aswell as the swing-arm and wheels. 

I originally looked into the VFR400 swing-arm as it looks very similar but I did some research and after seeing the 125mm wheelbase difference (only 4mm of that being trail) I'm no longer sure that this would be a fit as simple as first hoped. If anyone has any information regarding swing arm lengths and widths that would be greatly helpful. If not I'd look to find the original parts from an rc30 thats sadly been crashed or being broken for parts.

The dash appears to be a much simpler swap based on appearance from the 400, with a fresh set of speed readings of course and likely some wiring modifications.

In regards to the fuel tank I once again look towards the nc30 and pray, again if anyone by chance has any information it'd be appreciated.

Finally my concern comes to the headlights. I'm essentially certain the nc30 headlights are simply the wrong size and therefore looked towards something the likes of the cbr900rr and would plan to fabricate a bracket to replace the rc24 headlight and dash mounting bracket using part diagrams as inspiration for the design.

My plan for the front wheel and forks would be to, if possible, once again source original RC30 parts if possible and pay the hefty tag that would likely come with these, but alternatively I would be very interested to know if anyone is aware of a bike that has forks that would be able to fit, possibly with small adjustments that hold a similar appearance. The front wheel would as far as I can tell be an OEM find or potentially part of an aftermarket carbon/magnesium wheel kit designed to fit the RC30.

Before the comments come, I know this is likely to be a very expensive project and will almost certainly net a loss, however it's just something I feel like it would be fun to do as a project and ultimately I know I'll likely never afford a genuine RC30 any time soon, so there's no need to comment on the fact I'll be spending heaps of cash for little benefit.

If anyone has any information that might help, or knows of a potential source of information I would be greatly appreciative, thanks in advance.

21 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

You'd have to ask yourself what is purpose of this build:

1. authenticity - You can put as many RC30 parts as possible on '89 RC24 frame, but at end of day, you'll still have hybrid mutt bike that's is neither RC24 nor RC30.

2. performance - Everything starts with frame-specs and performance of RC30 starts with frame. Front-end of 26-degree rake & 100mm trail was chosen by factory as that's good combination of stability and nimbleness. Using genuine front-end from RC30 on 27.7-degree rake RC24 frame will result in less-than-100mm trail. This will cause bike to be very nervous at speed.  Better upgrade is CBR600F3 front-end swap as it'll save you more weight and have better geometry than RC30 parts. Best would be K-Tech or Ohlins cartridge front-end that gives you better-than-RC30 technology: USD fork-sliders, customized offset/trail to your spec along with multi-adjustable dampers.

Same thing with just about every other part. RC30 was forerunner of modern race-bike specs: long swingarm and forward-mounted engine for performance. You'll need to chop RC24 frame to move engine forwards to allow mounting of single-sided swingarm. With custom machining and welding, you can fit single-sided swing-arm. But to use RC30 wheels, you'll want swing-arm from RC30 or VFR750 with 100mm pin-drive. The NC30s use 85mm pin-drive and you'll need to machine RC30 wheels to fit those. Not to mention difference between 38mm vs. 45mm offset.

Best bet to improve performance of RC24 is not to put RC30 parts on it, but parts that will emulate specs of RC30. One of important specs is weight with track-raced RC30s being +100lbs lighter than their street versions. Trick HRC-only parts and plenty of titanium parts were used that weren't anywhere close to what's on street RC30s. Along with replacing every single nut & bolt possible with lighter versions. There's many CBR600RR bolts that can be used, such as hollow chromoly brake-caliper bolts that weigh 1/2 of VFR version. Same with shock and fork-end pinch bolts. 

Weight-savings is most significant on largest bolts first. Such as hollow titanium front/rear wheel axles. Swing-arm pivot bolt. Engine-mounting bolts, etc.  Might end up costing you more than RC30 parts, but you'll end up with better gains. Once you shave 100-lbs off street RC24, you'll have similar weight and handling as genuine RC30.

Next comes engine performance...

3. looks - If you just want your RC24 to look like RC30, then just bolt on RC30 bodywork like this guy did on his VF500F using VFR400R body:  https://vfrworld.com/threads/vfr400rr-nc30-bodywork-fitted-to-the-vf500f.37597/

BTW - RC30 uses smaller 3.5" headlights also used on CBR250R(RR)/VFR400R rather than 4.5" headlights found on CBR900RR

CBR250R 1988-1989

DDKN5826.PNG.f56e95f82b9a1eeee4ecbcdc10ebfec4.PNG

CBR250RR 1990-1996

CBR250RR-SplashPurple4.png.9a1bb8dc12876278f270e92b1d3ce78d.png

VFR400R

honda-vfr400r-9.thumb.jpg.96f219c7fa5a41388e0b33e203471e01.jpg

RC30

RC30-5.jpg.9fcb2e670d01b4eeb722723eb30fffb9.jpg

CBR900RR

fc2blog_2016090721251142d.thumb.jpg.cd5c79d8c6c3dfab566d7b413fe53254.jpg

• Member Contributer

I am just thinking aloud , and its probably not what you want to hear  and I agree with the previous advice given. What you will end up is a bitsa bike ( bits of this , bits of that ) and the sum of its parts will have cost a lot more than the sum of the finished article. I looked at doing this once and I also looked at paining a 5 th gen in RC 30 colours . 

With regards to the RC30 conversion , the cost of genuine RC30 parts were so brutal , and I would need so many that in  the end the cost of buying said parts, fitting , modifying , paying for professional help , time , blood sweat and tears  etc etc, you may as well have bought an RC30 . 

I know its easy for me to say , but money is so cheap to borrow at the moment , you may as well borrow the cost of an RC30 , have the real thing , enjoy it and when you are done you will get all your money back and maybe more, + of course a dream would have been fulfilled.

I will be moving house in the future , and when I move I will be adding the cost of an RC30 to my mortgage and getting one myself. 

Sorry to piss on your parade. 

Contrary to the naysayers, many of us find immense joy and personal satisfaction in building (with our own hands) the thing that we desire.

If you want an RC30 clone and the building of such would bring you happiness, then I support you doing it.

• Member Contributer
21 minutes ago, Smack said:

Contrary to the naysayers, many of us find immense joy and personal satisfaction in building (with our own hands) the thing that we desire.

If you want an RC30 clone and the building of such would bring you happiness, then I support you doing it.

If that is what your aim is yes.

The (Dutch) market is afill with "Special" "Unique" bitsa bikes for sale for imho silly prices to warrant the time and effort......  More than once, they fall down on poorly excuted details.

On the other side of the scale are the truly sublime replica's, as featured here on VFRD in the past with 2 NR750's for instance (amongst others).

So, yes @JuicySpices , blow us of our SOCKS with your build. :beer:

• Member Contributer

As someone who had to build his own poor-man's RC to get some dual round headlights, "we'll" be watching.

spacer.png

• Member Contributer

RC30s and RC45s are getting pricey, the 30's seem to be selling for $50K all day but I saw a couple at $60K & $90K, the 45's are hitting six figures.

https://iconicmotorbikeauctions.com/auction/1990-honda-rc30/

https://iconicmotorbikeauctions.com/auction/1994-honda-rc45-with-zero-miles/

Someone has a nice Honda collection.

I say make the replica and enjoy it.

• Member Contributer

I vote for the replica too! 

RCs are getting on for 30 years old now. If you use decent components and get the styling close enough your replica would probably be a better bike than the originals when finished. At a fraction of the cost and with pride in your achievement. 

A newer machine with modern brakes, suspension, fuel commanders etc would likely ride rings around an original one. Loads of RC30/45 fairings available and all they need is some brackets. 

Have at it! 

• Member Contributer

Everyone needs a project bike (or five)!

Btw, J-spec RC30 headlights were NC30-size, but ROW RC30 headlights were CBR900RR-size.  Personally, I don't think the smaller lights suit the RC30 at all.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

That's not a "build" or a V4.   And the CB tank simply doesn't work with the bodywork.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

That's not a "build" or a V4.   And the CB tank simply doesn't work with the bodywork.

It should tell Honda something (and even the entire industry) that the cycling community is taking their newer bikes and kitting / modding them to look like highly desirable bikes from the past.  There is absolutely no "magic" in dealerships any longer.  Bikes sadly have become like cars - just a tool - nothing to be admired, desired or particularly lusted after.  More capable, absolutely.  More desirable  . . . dunno about that.  Most of them are not much to look at - no elegance of design or flowing lines - in some cases just parts almost randomly slapped on from the bin. 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Cogswell said:

It should tell Honda something (and even the entire industry) that the cycling community is taking their newer bikes and kitting / modding them to look like highly desirable bikes from the past.  There is absolutely no "magic" in dealerships any longer.  Bikes sadly have become like cars - just a tool - nothing to be admired, desired or particularly lusted after.  More capable, absolutely.  More desirable  . . . dunno about that.  Most of them are not much to look at - no elegance of design or flowing lines - in some cases just parts almost randomly slapped on from the bin. 

Honda still gets it right every now and then though thankfully. :smile:  

thumbnail_IMG_0845.jpg?width=1920&height

• Member Contributer

Beautiful...   as long as I hold my thumb out to hide that license plate / winker bracket.  My god.

• Member Contributer
51 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

Beautiful...   as long as I hold my thumb out to hide that license plate / winker bracket.  My god.

Agreed, very nice - love the wheels. Does anyone know why the plate brackets have become fashionable among designers?  To me they look like an afterthought vs being integrated in to the design. 

• Member Contributer

Because they are not part of the design and created to make the bike legal.  In many cases knowing they are going to be removed anyway and replaced with something aftermarket / abbreviated / integrated into the taillight.  

• Member Contributer
9 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

Agreed, very nice - love the wheels. Does anyone know why the plate brackets have become fashionable among designers?  To me they look like an afterthought vs being integrated in to the design. 

Thanks, it's a great bit of kit IMO and loaded up with all sorts of goodies straight from Honda, Ohlins, Brembo, quick-shift up/down with auto-blip, TFT display, etc. Quick as shit and really light, size wise feels like a 600. All this brand new, and I even got a 3 year warranty, for only $16k as a new leftover 2018. One of the things I like most about it and drove my decision to get the SP was the color scheme, I love that it has the old 80's Honda lineage colors, it's like new oldschool to me.

Anyways, I post this for the OP as well to consider other options without having to spend RC30 $ to scratch that itch. There's something to be said about the new tech and just keeping it on a battery tender and when the mood strikes throw a leg over and take for a rip, just add gas and go, no more worries about sitting too long with carbs etc. Either way, have fun with your hunt or build, you do you sir! :fing02: 

thumbnail_IMG_0847.jpg?width=1920&height

• Member Contributer

The SP is sweet, nice scoot.  In 20/30 years someone will be working on their SP conversion.

There's someone on Instagram (@rc30replica) making slow progress on his RC36-2 to RC30 conversion. He claims to have a source for reproduced RC30 tanks and fairings in Spain. How's your Spanish?  Maybe this contact in Spain will lead to a tank and fairing that will work with your RC24.

In my limited RC24 knowledge I've not come across a RC24 to RC30 conversion.

It would be fun to see one completed.  Best of luck if you move forward.

With a RC24 perhaps a Flyin Fred Merkel VFR750 Superbike Replica?

http://www.darrenbeggcustoms.com/?p=697 

This build is something.

Now apologies for the slight hijack but figured this may help someone (maybe me:-) plan a future project.

This thread subject (RC30 Replica Research) reminded me of a post I read somewhere on the internet where TYGA was working on a conversion kit for RC36-2 to RC30.

Being that they now sell left and right exit exhaust for RC35-2, I reached out to TYGA and Paul answered below.

"The conversion you describe below is something we would like to do. There was a  customer in Australia or New Zealand who recently did this conversion but only the exhaust was TYGA. We do have a 1993 RC36 available for such a conversion. The main issue is lack of time at the moment. I hope to clear some of our other projects later this year so we can focus on this one. At the least, we will make a different final section of the exhaust to make the silencer angle be more correct for the RC30 rep."

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!!

• Member Contributer
On 3/20/2021 at 7:22 PM, Smack said:

Good source for the 4.5" headlights?

Anyone know of a similar look, but LED ?

To do LED, you'll want light design specifically made for LED. Putting LED bulbs into housings originally designed for incandescent bulbs gives extremely poor results.  Having multiple LEDs in single housing will just spray light everywhere and blind on-coming traffic.

To maintain focus and sharp-cutoff, you want to use single LED per light. Due to limited output of current LEDs, multiple LEDs with their own optics are combined into one headlight assembly to provide properly-focused output.

uc?export=download&id=1AqFQFs989iYGD1IoF

Here's 4.5" LED headllights:

https://www.aps-supply.com/post-product/speaker-8415-evolution-4-5-round-led-headlights/. 

https://www.aps-supply.com/post-product/speaker-6130-series-4-5-led-headlight/

Results are extremely good. Almost as good as HID projector headlights. Found reviews with beamshots:

https://www.brutecentral.com/threads/usa-made-led-headlights-for-brute-force-teryx.25317/

https://blog.betterautomotivelighting.com/jw-speaker-6130-led-headlights-unique-design-and-awesome-light-output

Hi I'm probably late to the party as normal 😀, I've  done a similar thing, I made a RS850 replica, the cost of which far out weighed the final value of the bike, but I couldn't afford to buy a genuine HRC works bike even if I could find one for sale, If you are going to enjoy the making/modifying of a "RC30" and then enjoy the riding of it just go for it, life is too short just enjoy it.

20200416_153540.thumb.jpg.921b10e39bde745aa791a5b07c7f49a5.jpg 

DSC03519.thumb.JPG.d52485e3e56621df83c8a717d62a5d9d.JPG

Archived