Injector$

4li3nVFR

Well, after sitting in storage for 6 years my '05 VFR800 was not in good shape. Due to circumstances beyond my control fuel was left in the tank.  After purchasing a new fuel pump, filters, etc. and having the tank acid washed and coated, it is looking like I may have to purchase new injectors because the old ones are not playing nice.  My local Honda shop is currently trying propane and has ordered a new shop tool called a injector pulser??  If neither of those solutions work, I will have to purchase replacements. Sooo, my question is does anyone have suggestions on sticking with expensive OEM or are there any available aftermarket injectors that could be cheaper than the expensive Honda OEMs?  Any  help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bike should be run straight on injector cleaner.  Personally I use Toyota apparatus and their pressurized cans. Cans are about 15 bucks. Apparatus has variety of adapters for attaching to fuel system. Cleaning is performed with engine running and fuel pump disconnected,

It is also handy for diagnostic as it bypasses whole fuel delivery, pump, filter and its electrical.

Example of service performed on a car is below, I had good results restoring injections with this cleaner on different engines, cars, bikes and outboards.

• Member Contributer

You might want to look in to a bench cleaning/ testing - places such as RC Engineering, Witchhunter performance, and others.  They're run through solvent tanks, the screens replaced, then put through a sonic tank that dislodges any particles and finally back flushed, the latter not being possible while in place.  Then they get new o-rings.   Afterwards they're tested to verify they flow properly and are equal.  Usually even the most clogged injectors can be refurbished to new - the one thing that will kill them is if the wiring in the coil is defective.  It runs about $20 to $25 each - I would think the dealer would know that's available.  Maybe ask them before they put it all back together.  On a 6th gen the injectors are very easy to remove once the airbox is off - maybe ask them to give that a go or if you're up for it DIY. 

• Member Contributer

Trick to really cleaning injectors is to flow then in reverse direction.  I've used following outfit many times for Porsche/Bosch and Toyota/Denso injectors with great success. They give you before and after cleaning flow-charts of injectors so you can tell how bad they were beforehand . Inexpensive and fast turnaround.

I usually grab injectors from breakers by handfuls. Then send them to cleaners in batches of 6. When I get them back, I toss highest and lowesr flowing ones. Then use remaining 4 that's matched closest. 

https://www.mrinjector.us/

• Member Contributer

Another vote for RC:

https://www.rcfuelinjection.com/Store/c/fuel-injector-cleaning

They return your injectors with a before and after flow rate report.

I've attached a copy of my Feb '21 report for my Super Tenere.

They were "Dripping" at 257 and 369 cc per minute. 

After cleaning, flow rate improved to "Excellent" at 419 and 420 cc per minute.

In the past 5 years, I've shipped sets for my VFR, Tenere and Volvo turbo wagon, they've always come back with a balanced flow rate. 

You can ship your 4 injectors using USPS Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box, 

1-2 day turn around time.

Tenere_Injectors_Clean.pdf

Thanx for all the advice and I will take it all under consideration if the Honda shop can't get them flowing right.  Can anyone tell me approx how much these injector cleaning services charge if I send them myself? oops nevermind....just checked out prices @ Mr. injector...seems to be $18-25 each, a lot better than buying new ones!

• Member Contributer

You're in the ballpark at $100 for the set.....  Your Honda shop might run some injector cleaners through and get an improvement but a proper injector cleaning service is the way to go.... save some service dollars (Honda shop time) and send them out!!

BTW have you checked the prices on new ones.... don't, we don't want you having a heart attack, lol.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, 4li3nVFR said:

Thanx for all the advice and I will take it all under consideration if the Honda shop can't get them flowing right.  Can anyone tell me approx how much these injector cleaning services charge if I send them myself? oops nevermind....just checked out prices @ Mr. injector...seems to be $18-25 each, a lot better than buying new ones!

To be honest, I'm a bit suspect of the shop - running propane through them?  I've never heard of anyone cleaning injectors doing that. (please someone tell me if I'm FOS).  I get the impression they're milking you to run up the shop time.  Presuming they know the history and the state of the fuel system, it should have been a no-brainer for them to just pull them and have them benched cleaned vs messing with those other things.  I think there's a high probability that if you have them sent out to any of the vendors above, you'll get good results.  Let us know how this turns out for you. 

Lots of good advice here. I would still do in situ  cleaning first and see how it runs before going for additional expenses of shop removing injectors and sending them out.

There are beyond injectors benefits of running bike on cleaner like de carbon, ring free or 02 sensors refresh (if equipped).

OK injectors are are sent out to RCinjectors (because they had a faster turnaround time for approx the same price).  Wish me luck that they flow well and I can be back in the saddle soon without having to buy new ones!  Thanx guys.

• Member Contributer

Indeed.  It can be a risk that they're beyond salvage - I'm holding good thoughts for a successful outcome. 

• Member Contributer

We used to use these guys. Same thing, they would send back a report of flow, spay pattern, volume, etc... If they have others like yours, they will send back the most "balanced" set.

https://www.injector.com/cart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=30

Although best to call to make sure they do motorcycle injectors...

• Member Contributer

That's great news .  They were horrible prior and now are within less than 1% of each other.  It should run beautifully now.  

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Cogswell said:

That's great news .  They were horrible prior and now are within less than 1% of each other.  It should run beautifully now.  

+1. Great result, saves buying a new set. As good as new again. Hope all goes well.

• 3 weeks later...

Aaand after waiting for 142 days with the bike in the shop, here is the result:

So glad to be back in the saddle again after a 7 year break.

Anyone care to guess the mileage on this?

20210411_174359.jpg

Archived