Rear fender conversion

Magneto

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Magneto said:

Hi all. I stumbled over this picture some times ago. Does anybody know if that is vfr800 fender? What involves installing it on 1200?

You might be right. Or is it just a modified original?

The give away could be that the panniers are the same for 800 and 1200 the mount slots look identical. Perhaps you could compare the removal guide for the rear cowl area of both 1200 and 800 Service Manuals might also help.

Pic of my 2014 800 (tail tidy fitted)

20210316_130139.jpg

• Member Contributer

Doesn't appear to be model-specific, so I always use Home Depot fender-eliminator kit on all my bikes. Some states may object to drilling hole for rivet, so I'll attach some flat bar-stock first to use orignal holes in license plate.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, DannoXYZ said:

Doesn't appear to be model-specific, so I always use Home Depot fender-eliminator kit on all my bikes. Some states may object to drilling hole for rivet, so I'll attach some flat bar-stock first to use orignal holes in license plate.

You are obviously a big spender when it comes to fender-eliminators.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Oregonian said:

OP - that looks photoshopped.  The silver rear panel under the seat doesn't look right.  The distance between the wheels doesn't look long enough to be real either. 

Hey, good catch! Looks like it's been compressed longitudinally. Swingarm and rear bodywork shortened. Seat also looks shortened. Tank is more tent-shaped.

20190312-170258.jpg

VFR1200F-cropped..thumb.jpg.15a085e768f06c7459da3600d4f1a920.jpg

• Member Contributer

Not sure about being Photoshopped. 

I think the stinger/fender being removed just makes it look that way. See where the tail light finishes: between the rim and end of rear disc. Same on both bikes. Same with the silver panel. 

One point about removing the stinger - you’ll end up with “skunk back” if the roads are wet. Look at the bike without a fender and imagine a rooster tail trajectory. It lands right on the rider (I’ll even reach your helmet and dashboard!).  

You’ll need to use the license plate as a fender and push it further back than the picture with the eliminator. The one in the pic offers no protection at all. 

Plan it carefully, Magneto! 

• Member Contributer

The photo is compressed slightly in the horizontal axis. I have a tail tidy on mine, but the bike in the photo has the fender cut much shorter. You can easily accomplish this with an air saw  and just re-route your license plate light, electrical wires to an LED, and make a bracket to mount your plate. 

91753_W3.jpg

Good point Stray, after I installed fender eliminator on Suki I have to clean tail light more often.

RC, cutline on the photo can not be achieved by trimming original fender. There is a end piece added or whole fender replaced...

So new theorem, maybe just end piece of 800 fender is grafted there?

Archived