Better than a Dremel rotary tool - options?

Stray

• Member Contributer

Hello All, 

Like many of us I have acquired an array of tools over the years. Mostly I like to buy decent value-for-money kit that lasts. 

That’s why I bought a Dremel 4000 with all the bells and whistles. But the sodding things keep sh!tting the bed on me. I’ve had 2 Dremel 4000s die with minimal use (brushes are still 95% - the first one died within 30 minutes intermittent use).

I’m sympathetic to my tools and use/care for them properly so it’s not abuse. Rarely use top speed, never overheat them and keep them away from dust. 

Suspect the latest fatality is due to a faulty switch (no continuity on multimeter). A new Dremel switch costs about £40 ($50?) here: a new unbranded rotary tool can be had for the same money. 

So can anyone recommend a good quality rotary tool for decent money? Not bothered about brand. Must be corded as I don’t want the hassle of battery replacement/charging. 

Ideally something that can use my vast array of Dremel accessories as they’d be wasted otherwise, but will still consider good tools that aren’t compatible. 

All advice gratefully received, as always.

Best, 

Stray

Sad to say it but I had 2 Dremels fail on me. First one never work right as I would have to shake it it knock it, sometimes play with tension on brush caps. I suffered for some time then finally trashed it. Second just die after short time. Such annoyance.

I bought Black&Decker after that and it is serving me well for years now...

• Member Contributer

A consideration is to use an air powered die grinder. You really need an air compressor anyway, and a good die grinder

isn't very expensive and very little to go wrong with them. Hit them with some oil before using every time, and away you

go. I have a $30 die grinder that's over 30 years old and still works excellently.

4 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

A consideration is to use an air powered die grinder. You really need an air compressor anyway, and a good die grinder

isn't very expensive and very little to go wrong with them. Hit them with some oil before using every time, and away you

go. I have a $30 die grinder that's over 30 years old and still works excellently.

Thing with Dremel line of tools is attachment variety and availability but also it’s small size. Air powered grinder is a good option for bigger  jobs, so definitely good to have but not replacement for Dremel.  

• Member Contributer

Thanks FJ12Ryder for the air grinder suggestion. This will also help with a rattle gun I want to acquire but Magneto is right about needing a smaller tool. 

I’ve got 2 x 4in (115mm) angle grinders on the go already. One with a grinding disk and one with sanding disc. The Dremel style tool is great for delicate work the grinders can’t do. 

And it’s quick! Air tools need the compressor to fire up and pressure building, not to mention mine’s tucked away and inconvenient. Then there’s the noise - not really suitable for a quick late-night cut. 

Which Black & Decker do you have, Magneto? The RTX isn’t really available here but I’d love one. And do they take Dremel attachments? 

• Member Contributer

Just a couple of rebuttals:

A regular air powered die grinder isn't much different in size from a Dremel. I have both. I'm not referring to a angle grinder.

Basically all Dremel attachment will work with a die grinder since they generally use the same size collet. In fact the die grinder I have

has interchangeable 1/8" and 1/4" collets.

A decent die grinder is variable speed by nature.

I do agree that the main drawback is the need for an air compressor. I maintain the air pressure in my air compressor so it's not a big

deal for me. And if you don't have a fair sized air compressor it will draw down the pressure very quickly. The die grinder itself is no

louder than a Dremel, but the compressor running kind of spoils the quiet. 🙂

Here's one very similar to what I have:

Air Powered Die Grinder

The main problem is the portability. You can use a Dremel anywhere there's electricity, the air powered, not so much.

• Member Contributer

I second air grinder suggestion, and recommend micro 1/8" size. I bought one of these 10-yrs ago and it's going on strong. Got it to replace Blue Point brand one that lasted 10-yrs. Which was purchased to replace Dremel. I prefer smaller lighter form factor of 1/8" air tool for porting & polishing heads. Just like using pencil, it can reach into smaller tighter areas than Dremel. Lighter weight and pencil grip is less tiring to use.

https://www.harborfreight.com/pneumatic-18-in-micro-die-grinder-kit-60244.html

earlier

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Micro-Die-Grinder-Kit-Pencil-Polishing-Pneumatic-Tool-58000RPM-1-8-Collet/223635755486

71WdC0KtL0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

20210316-133430.jpg

Not to be outgun and lost opportunity to show off, I do not see dremel as competition to air powered tools. Just a matter of sizing the job. Point taken on size of air tool compared to dremel, not bigger per se but once heavy and cumbersome air hose is added, it is kinda bigger package to swing...

• Member Contributer

Wooo, you boys brung out the big guns - I‘m loving the selection! 

Wish I could go with an air tool but my compressor’s not up to it and it’s tucked away. I only wheel it’s out for a task once a year and then put it away again. Plus noise would have neighbours up in arms! 

I do like that pencil tool Danno! 

Magneto, looks like your Black & Decker is the RTX after all. You’ve got more grinding tools than any man should have!

In the end I bought a Foredom pendulum grinder. The 220v version they make for Europe. At £67 it’s slightly cheaper than the Dremel 4000 and gets excellent reviews from industrial users so I’m taking a punt. Plus it comes with a foot pedal to modulate speed- how cool is that! 

It’s got a very weird name. Cross between foreskin and femdom: Foredom. 

If it plays nice I may buy a pencil type tip like Danno’s for it (they’re cheap and quick change). 

One thing for sure is whilst I’ve been researching a decent rotary tool every site I visit is full of disappointed Dremel owners. I feel very let down by them as they’re widely regarded to be the best. Seems their reputation is ill deserved...

Stray

• Member Contributer
4 minutes ago, Stray said:

It’s got a very weird name. Cross between foreskin and femdom: Foredom. 

Sounds like they have some interesting people in their marketing department.  Maybe they'll be coming out with a line of vibrators soon . . .   :laugh:

• Member Contributer
10 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

Sounds like they have some interesting people in their marketing department.  Maybe they'll be coming out with a line of vibrators soon . . .   :laugh:

Apparently they have very high torque motors that can go for hours without overheating so you may be on to something, Cogswell! 

So if I’m looking to do a little grinding and “her indoors” has pilfered the Foredom, should I knock on the bedroom door or wait politely? 

They look like this, by the way: 

E769CFAE-8A16-4E60-B04C-9E4E1B53AE9A.thumb.png.976fedf9e9fcb71859fae484dfd032d8.png

• Member Contributer

Update: I repaired the Dremel 4000. Faulty switch. God bless YouTube tutorials! 

4C065120-1380-4372-B2DC-1E9D58079DD8.thumb.jpeg.676fbe1643c13fab9faee881ee0d42d9.jpeg

It’s just a little thing but what a nightmare packing all the wires in properly so they don’t foul or catch the slider/armature. Then trying to seal the cases without the brush springs shooting out whilst seating the circuit boards flush.

May as well be trying to put toothpaste back into the tube! 

The sliding switch is a glaring example of poor design and I’m shocked Dremel still employ this crude technology. It’s prone to wear of the knob that actuated the switch. 

Anyway, I no longer trust this tool to be my main precision grinder so I’ve packed it away and will rely on the Foredom. Dremel might get an outing occasionally if lucky. 

Stray

• Member Contributer

Good job on repair!!

Yeah, as with many things that have been around long time, it may have been innovative and cutting edge at introduction. But have failed to be updated with improvements in technology.

• Member Contributer

You Tube tutorials have saved me MANY times. You think your problem is unique and then you google it, and there are 27 video's on that same exact problem!

+1 on the air powered rotary tool, and the Black & Decker - I gave up on Dremel years ago...

Magneto - nice selection of rotary tools!

Pretty cool guys! I wish I could keep up with restoring all stuff in the house, sometimes it just get tossed...

Thing important for about any activity is pre job brief. I am using ytube videos from handy folk for that. Often to see how to perform the task more effectively but as often how not to do it... 😇

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, MuppetGonzo said:

I didn't realise this was that kind of site - talking of grinding and showing each other pictures of your tools!!

My new Grinder has an extension! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived