Random Photos Thread

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
14 hours ago, Magneto said:

20210315-220338.jpg

Unusual color combination. Question comes to mind: replacement front cowl? from a unplanned grounding? Nice looking machine in any case.

I rescued this bike from PO who decided to learn how to ride on a liter bike. It had originally 295 miles when o got it, messed up fuel system after sitting with fuel for many years and smashed fairing. Got the red fairing assy from gentleman who went for naked look on his bike. It is kind of work in progress, to many projects- not enough time. Super fun to ride though.

• Member Contributer
46 minutes ago, Magneto said:

20210317-210839.jpg

Florida. Free State.

Great place to be - all too uncommon these days. 

SV1k has really nice blue color. I have new tank for it, but in SV650 blue that I would like repaint to match rest of the bike with some red accents to bring two tone together. Also there is rear seat eliminate/ cowl to paint. So far i wasn't able to locate painter that isn't high on vapors. 😉

Newish gexer wheel are also on wish list...

20210319-151721

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, TriumphTraitor said:

Kinda actually digging the whole two-tone look 

Same here!

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, VifferJ said:

1e8826b2-a862-4e87-92f6-2a37a7d06371-ori

A child to my heart . . . kinda looks like my avatar . . . !  :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Since we have this thread, and it does say "random", I'm going to toss in some really random pics.  Having recently gone through various boxes around the house, I came across photos of the first roll of film I ever shot when I was just a wee lad.  It introduced me to two things that I enjoy to this day - photography and motorcycles.  My father had a nice German camera - wish I knew what happened to it.  I had been asking him to teach me to use it.   Having seen announcements about a local motocross event, I begged and begged and begged for him to let me try photography there until he finally relented and took me to see it.  He had said he was against the idea of me having a bike and I'm pretty sure he didn't want me getting any ideas about it.   It was about an hour's drive and I can still recall the sense of anticipation as we drove there.   Beforehand he gave me some instruction on the basics - F stop and shutter speed and how to select the appropriate film for the intended use (such a lost art these days).  Since I would be photographing subjects in motion, we also talked about panning with the subject which is evident in the photos.  Unfortunately he had just the one 50mm lens which was not ideal for the situation, but for a young boy it might as well been a camera from the Apollo program.  At any rate, once there - hearing the ring-ding-ding of the 2 stroke motors which were almost universally used at the time and seeing the jumps and wheelies, I knew I had to have a bike.  By today's standards they were dinosaurs - twin rear shocks with limited travel, drum brakes, peaky motors that came on all at once and some with wicked handling . . . but, they were the things dreams were made of for a young boy.  Finally I ended up with a Suzuki 90 which I thrashed on for several years, riding with a now deceased friend who had a Honda CT70.  To be honest, though small for my height, the CT was a heck of a bike - you could just pound on that thing mercilessly and it only begged for more.  By the time the two of us were done riding those machines, both were in pretty sorry shape.  Mine was sold to a neighbor family whose son rode it - I never knew what became of it.  As I look at these photos, I wonder who the riders were - what they did for a living - had they been to Vietnam and what ever became of them.  They would now be at least in their late 70's to mid 80's, many have probably passed on by now, having no idea that some photos of their ride that day would surface on a world-wide platform nearly 50 years later. 

Anyway - I do recognize the bikes in the top two photos - the top is a '72 Suzuki (I think a TM400) and the middle an Ossa.  The last one I just can't place.  I know to an extent what it is not, but cannot identify it - if anyone here is expert on late '60's / to mid 70's MX bikes, I'd love to know what it is.  I hope you enjoy some vintage pics. 

image.png.789e9d281fbf2fd326908010186323ff.png

image.thumb.png.cb60813d53c8a36cf0bacb93356ab0f3.png

image.png.6d5332f399803b34ec64ad1bc29b1b54.png

Great story. Thank you for taking me back memory line to the good old days. I was also fortunate to have father that was into photography. We had fully equipped dark room in the house and I would play with different gizmos since early years. I watch people taking trillions of shots nowadays without much thinking about technology involved, while still remembering how much skills it took back in the day... Great shots Cogswell!

20210329-034819.jpg

• Member Contributer

Gosh that brings back memories... using light-meters and developing film and prints in darkroom.

Once upon a time, I raced bikes... TdF style...

Legs1.jpg.08b914e2a2e4f4e334afd9bf9f7bbc

Archived