Rough startup

N2v

• Member Contributer

Hey guys 

Don’t know where to start, bike having trouble starting in the morning.

ive checked the terminals, battery is like a year old

any advise would be grand!

• Member Contributer
39 minutes ago, N2v said:

Hey guys 

Don’t know where to start, bike having trouble starting in the morning.

ive checked the terminals, battery is like a year old

any advise would be grand!

What fuel are you using? Any chance of condensation or bad fuel?

How old are the spark plugs?

Is your cranking speed normal?

Any possibility you have a flooded situation? This can be caused be starting a cold engine then switching it off in a short time before getting the engine warmed. This can cause starting issues the next time you attempt a cold start.

• Member Contributer
56 minutes ago, DannoXYZ said:

vacuum leak

How do I know if it’s a vacuum leak?

1 hour ago, Grum said:

What fuel are you using? Any chance of condensation or bad fuel?

How old are the spark plugs?

Is your cranking speed normal?

Any possibility you have a flooded situation? This can be caused be starting a cold engine then switching it off in a short time before getting the engine warmed. This can cause starting issues the next time you attempt a cold start.

Maybe spark plug?

its almost the end of summer here in oz.

how do I check crank speed?

• Member Contributer
22 minutes ago, N2v said:

How do I know if it’s a vacuum leak?

Maybe spark plug?

its almost the end of summer here in oz.

how do I check crank speed?

Wasn't saying check your crank speed, I was simply mentioning if its nomal Or does it appear slower than normal, which could indicate a battery down on charge or capacity.

Any doubts about your battery, charge it and then take it to Supercheap auto or Autobahn and they can load check it for you for free.

Visually check all your vacuum lines for cracks, kinked or broken hoses, refer to the service manual.

Do you have any fault code flashing from your MIL led?

Do you know how old the spark plugs are?

So what is the fuel situation? How old is the tank fuel and what type? Ethanol blended? Premium or standard unleaded 91?

Could there be the possibility of a flooded engine situation as mentioned?

Can you actually start it? And what are warm starts like? Does it run normally or are there issues riding?

A bit more info mate will help.

Normally when I diagnose starting issues first thing I jump bike battery straight to a daily driver car. That usually make them happy starting and I know battery crapped out ....

While battery is jumped I want to hear loud and positive priming noise coming from fuel pump when key is turned on. 

Go confirm and report back.🙂

• Member Contributer
40 minutes ago, Magneto said:

While battery is jumped I want to hear loud and positive priming noise coming from fuel pump when key is turned on. 

Another good point here.

Are you hearing the Fuel Pump run for 2 to 3 seconds everytime you turn ON the Ignition Switch?

• Member Contributer

Just been snooping around the battery, noticed the 30amp fuse is melted & the connectors wires are exposed & kinda brittle.

the fuel pump primes.

no fi lights error 

no blinking 

fresh fuel 

• Member Contributer

With the bad fuse / wiring,  there could be enough current flow to run the pump but not enough to supply the amperage needed for a start.  First get the wiring and fuse sorted, then see if problems persist.  Be sure the battery is good.  As mentioned above you could jump it, or better still have it load tested.  Without a known healthy electrical system, you could be chasing symptoms and not the fundamental source of the problem. 

Archived