Non-Deluxe owners.... do you regret it?

Hello again fam...

Been a few years since I've checked back in here,  but I'm about *this* close to snatching up another VFR.   Long gone is my custom 6th gen that I never should've sold,  so let's have a reset, and do this thing again.  But this time,  with an 8th gen...   Here's my situation,  and questions

Situation:

• I'm horny for an 8th gen in white.  Why white?  Because I'll be doing another Sebspeed custom clutch cover on it,  and white gives me the most flexibility to custom paint match my wheels,  with the pressure plate.
  • I've found 2 local bikes that look like dimes.  Low mileage and appear to be have well maintained,  but I haven't put actual eyeballs on them.  One is a white standard that is completely stock,  one is a red deluxe that is very tastefully modded with stuff I'd likely choose to add anyway.
  • The white standard is $1000 less than than the red deluxe. 

Questions:

• For the folks that have purchased a Standard edition... Do you ever regret NOT getting the deluxe?  
  • For the folks that have purchased a Deluxe edition... If you had to do it all over again,  would you pay an extra $1000 for the items that make it a Deluxe?  Have those items ACTUALLY helped you at all?

Roundup:

• I want white,  but the only thing available to me at the moment is a white standard,  or a red deluxe for an additional $1000.  Is Deluxe really worth the extra cash?

Pic of my 6th gen for attention and tears...

IMG_2023.JPG

• Member Contributer

My understanding is the deluxe has-

- heated grips

- side stand

- Auto turn off turn signals

Am I missing anything?

If true, I would have no problem with the standard, and just adding a side stand, the other 2 items, I wouldn't want anyway.

Ok, mbe would try heated grips sometime...

• Member Contributer

Hey Mello, think you mean Center Stand? 

Deluxe comes with these options over the standard.

- Center Stand. (and Sidestand)

- ABS.

- Traction control.

- Self canceling indicators.

- 5 stage heated grips.

We don't have an option here in Australia, we only get the Deluxe version. But I'd almost pay the $1000 extra for the Deluxe version just for ABS alone! ABS literally saved my skin once, I'd never have a bike without it now.

Couldn't not have a center stand with the vfr, just so handy for wheel removal, brake maintenance and chain lubing, chain replacement etc.

• Member Contributer

Another way to think about this is yes the deluxe will cost a bit more to buy, but down the road it will also be worth more if needing to sell. I have the deluxe and am very pleased with it, the traction control although not the best on market does help in wet PNW winters with slick roads. Having ABS will also lower your insurance rate, so maybe look at that offset $ amount as well. Have fun with your hunt, both great undervalued bikes IMO. 

• Member Contributer

In addition to resale  (doesn't sound like you'll do that again),  you'll get more than an additional $1,000 worth of convenience / use out of it. Just the ability to make chain maintenance easier would be worth it to me.  I'd get the Deluxe 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.  

Thanks guys!

I think the decision has actually been made FOR me.   I contacted the seller of the white non-deluxe today and he informed me that he's taking it off the market and handing it over to a dealer for consignment.   I suppose that doesn't preclude me from buying it,  but probably not at the agreed upon price we had.

So,  even though I really wanted white,  I'll probably target this other red one.    It's everything I want,  other than color.   I suppose that's nothing a fairing swap can't fix,  since I went through that whole thing on my 6th gen a few years ago.    Cogsworth,  I believe you followed that thread back then...your screen name is ringing a loud bell with me.   I feel like you were super helpful when I was doing that build...

I've already contacted Seb about another clutch cover.  He just laughed and said   "I knew you'd be back"

I went through a Ninja 636,  a Daytona 675,  another 636,  and even a little Ninja 300 because why not.

The Ninja was super SUPER comfy for me,  go figure.    The Daytona was the most telepathic thing I've ever ridden but not great on the body after a while.  And the little Ninja 300 was amazingly fun to wring it's little neck.

But,  here I am... coming back home.   Thanks for the input,   will update

I always suppose I could go with white wheels on Italian Red.  My 6th gen looked like this briefly while I was waiting for fairings to show up...

IMG_3944 2.jpg

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Grum said:

Hey Mello, think you mean Center Stand? 

Deluxe comes with these options over the standard.

- Center Stand. (and Sidestand)

- ABS.

- Traction control.

- Self canceling indicators.

- 5 stage heated grips.

We don't have an option here in Australia, we only get the Deluxe version. But I'd almost pay the $1000 extra for the Deluxe version just for ABS alone! ABS literally saved my skin once, I'd never have a bike without it now.

Couldn't not have a center stand with the vfr, just so handy for wheel removal, brake maintenance and chain lubing, chain replacement etc.

Right - Center stand. :cool:

(oops) :beer:

• Member Contributer
28 minutes ago, mello dude said:

Right - Center stand. :cool:

(oops) :beer:

Nah - Center stand is in the middle not the Right! :laughing6-hehe:

:beer:

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, VifferCrab said:

Cogsworth,  I believe you followed that thread back then...your screen name is ringing a loud bell with me.   I feel like you were super helpful when I was doing that build...

But,  here I am... coming back home.   Thanks for the input,   will update

I always suppose I could go with white wheels on Italian Red.  My 6th gen looked like this briefly while I was waiting for fairings to show up...

I remember that build well.  After you had departed, several others asked about Chinese fairings and I referred them to that build thread with all the good info you had amassed on the subject.  Glad you're back!  I hope you update us on what you do with the 8th gen - I'm sure it will be great! 

Nothing wrong with red with white wheels - there have been some 5th gens on here with that - and one on youtube - a fellow rider following along.  It's a great combination.  I don't know who this is in the video - member here, or not - but the R/W looks great in motion. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOgz1sw_w8o

• Member Contributer

Delux owner here. I do not regret getting the Delux. The heated grips are fantastic to have, the center stand makes chain maintenance and tire removal easier, and the adjustable suspension allows you to tune it for better feel while riding it like a sport bike.

The ABS and Traction control are kinda basic by today's standards, but they don't get in the way much.

On 3/10/2021 at 11:10 PM, Cogswell said:

I remember that build well.  After you had departed, several others asked about Chinese fairings and I referred them to that build thread with all the good info you had amassed on the subject.  Glad you're back!  I hope you update us on what you do with the 8th gen - I'm sure it will be great! 

Nothing wrong with red with white wheels - there have been some 5th gens on here with that - and one on youtube - a fellow rider following along.  It's a great combination.  I don't know who this is in the video - member here, or not - but the R/W looks great in motion. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOgz1sw_w8o

That does look fantastic going down the road!      I do remember my white wheels being a PIA to keep clean,  but that's part of the thing I sorta like.   It gives me something to obsess over and clean after every ride,   rather than just sitting and drinking 6-10 beers every day during Covid.     

I need to reach back out to Seb for some artistic influence on the wheel/clutch cover+hardware coloring.   On white,  it's easy... just choose the secondary color of your choice and use bolt hardware with a tertiary color that offsets your secondary.  With red,  not so much.   Can't exactly put green and gold next to red.   Not that I'd choose that,  but all that red real estate,  limits my color pallet.  

Anyway,  that's sort of the fun for me,  as you may recall.  Just trying to doing something different,  yet tasteful.    I went over-the-top obsessed with that 6th gen.  Every single outward facing surface was replaced,  renewed,  or enhanced.      I did however sell it to an old friend,   who bought it for his lady for track days.    So,   I know it went to amazing people, as meticulous as me,  who actually use the thing how it was intended.   🙂

On 3/11/2021 at 10:11 AM, lazyeye said:

Delux owner here. I do not regret getting the Delux. The heated grips are fantastic to have, the center stand makes chain maintenance and tire removal easier, and the adjustable suspension allows you to tune it for better feel while riding it like a sport bike.

The ABS and Traction control are kinda basic by today's standards, but they don't get in the way much.

Yep,  I hear ya.   Having NEVER ridden a bike with ABS/TC ,  I've personally never witnessed the gains they offer.    Sounds like from what I'm reading the systems are a bit antiquated, but if they get in my way,   I'll just turn them off.  Assuming that's a thing....

Welp,   looks like I'll be going Saturday to go see this red one.    Price is reasonable,   but what I've learned through my extensive research (30 mins) is that these have actually gone UP in value since Covid,  according to the couple dealers I spoke to.  It's got less than 5K miles,  so it's a brand new bike.   Maybe that's true for all used bikes,   but the both dealers said that this particular one is still selling at/above the blowout pricing they had a couple years back for new/old stock

Is there ANYTHING on the 8th gen's that I should look out for?   I know about all of the 6th gen common issues,  but I don't see a trend in forum posts on particular 8th gen issues.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, VifferCrab said:

Maybe that's true for all used bikes,   but the both dealers said that this particular one is still selling at/above the blowout pricing they had a couple years back for new/old stock

My observation from watching craigslist is that prices for used bikes have indeed gone up around 5% or so relative to last year. That is, a 2017 model year motorcycle that was $10K in 2020 might very well be $10,500 today. I'm guessing that COVID has boosted demand somewhat (people aren't spending money on dining or vacations, plus stimulus checks) while simultaneously decreasing supply somewhat by slowing the arrival of new stock into the market.

Well,   went and saw it today,   and I'm buying it.  

2014 Deluxe with 4500 miles.   

Coffman Exhaust

Helibar risers

Puig Screen

Volt Meter w/phone charger

Phone holder

OEM top box

PAIR/Airbox mod

Frame Sliders

New Michelin Road 5s

I'll put the cash together early next week and go scoop it up.   I'm back in the family again,  folks...

@SEBSPEED  I suppose we'll be in touch soon.   🙂 

IMG_2026.jpg.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Man! That is a great looking machine. Congratulations!

Having used my VFRs for more than just sport riding, I found the hardbags extremely helpful. Getting groceries. Getting Boxes Of  Beer. Bringing extra gear for changing weather. Not to mention taking off for a weekend or month long ride whether camping or not. YMMV

And they make great frame sliders. (Blush.)

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, VifferCrab said:

It's official.  Picking this beauty up on Saturday...

Pretty excited to get back in the saddle again.   My thighs have been lonely.  Wait,  what?

Let the modding begin! 

On 3/18/2021 at 5:26 PM, Cogswell said:

Let the modding begin! 

On a side note,

Do you have a spare bedroom I can live in?  Apparently,  if I talk about modding this one before I even have it in the garage, the wife has mentioned something about a divorce.  Blah blah blah...

Also,  I like high thread count Egyptian sheets.   I’ll send you the Amazon link. 

#kthanksbye

• Member Contributer
On 3/14/2021 at 7:17 AM, VifferCrab said:

Well,   went and saw it today,   and I'm buying it.  

2014 Deluxe with 4500 miles.   

Coffman Exhaust

Helibar risers

Puig Screen

Volt Meter w/phone charger

Phone holder

OEM top box

PAIR/Airbox mod

Frame Sliders

New Michelin Road 5s

I'll put the cash together early next week and go scoop it up.   I'm back in the family again,  folks...

@SEBSPEED  I suppose we'll be in touch soon.   🙂 

IMG_2026.jpg.jpeg

Congratulations.

Did it come with the original exhaust, pillion grab handles and screen?

Also confirm your tookit is under the rear cowl. And if the seat is currently in the lowest position make sure you get the two seat raising spacers and bolts, see picture.

20210320_112843.jpg

Thinking of changing out my SC Project slipon for the Coffman to expose more of the rear wheel and for all around looks. 

My one thought is that it is going to be insane loud. Like to hear your opinions

21 hours ago, Grum said:

Congratulations.

Did it come with the original exhaust, pillion grab handles and screen?

Also confirm your tookit is under the rear cowl. And if the seat is currently in the lowest position make sure you get the two seat raising spacers and bolts, see picture.

20210320_112843.jpg

Yes sir...

He gave me the stock exhaust,  the grab handles,  the original screen,  the luggage frame, and the top box.   He kept everything...

I will have to check on the seat risers,  I didn’t realize that was a thing.    He also installed new lower footpegs and gave me the originals.   

I picked it up this morning and she’s resting comfortably in my garage next to her stablemate.     :)

B1AC77CF-62A5-446D-B475-10566AECB936.jpeg

8 hours ago, chutta said:

Thinking of changing out my SC Project slipon for the Coffman to expose more of the rear wheel and for all around looks. 

My one thought is that it is going to be insane loud. Like to hear your opinions

it’s loud.   Louder than my 6th gen dual Delkevic system.    It does come with a DB killer (baffle) which he removed and did not provide in the sale.    I’ll probably buy a replacement,  it’s $50,  so a non-issue.  

Sounds amazing,  don’t get me wrong.  Just a little louder than I prefer,  since I don’t want my neighbors to burn my house down.  

I’ll do a sound clip once I get myself settled with this thing. 

Archived