Runabouts

Magneto

• Member Contributer

I guess we've had a roundabout here all my life and I just didn't know it.  We call it the court square and it has a courthouse sitting in the middle of it.  All traffic circles it counterclockwise and traffic coming into it is supposed to yield (but doesn't always).  We have a combination of one-way and two way streets merging into it, as noted by the arrows.  I have experience in roundabouts AND I'm left handed.  Does this mean I'm already and expert driver in the lands that drive in the wrong lane? 

square.PNG

• Member Contributer

Appears this thread just seems to be going around in circles............Sorry, I guess someone had to say it!!:wacko:

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Grum said:

Appears this thread just seems to be going around in circles............Sorry, I guess someone had to say it!!:wacko:

------:laughing6-hehe:-----:beer:

Thxz for the laugh...

• Member Contributer

I live in a first-ring suburbe south of Minneapolis. The city has been redoing streets and adding roundabouts a a furious pace. And I do love them. But there have been several times I'd have been taken out by someone who did not follow the rules. So I always ride / drive defensively. And my old rusty but reliable '99 Civic was totaled by one of those idiots a couple of years ago.

Regarding the white paint on the roads surface, around here they add grit to the paint to increase traction.

And there are times when traffic is absent I go around several times just for the Lean. :wheel:

The best-known roundabout in my area is the Tallmadge Circle, Tallmadge being a suburb of Akron, Ohio.  The circle is pretty big, with a large church at its center, and is at the intersection of four roads, meaning there are eight separate entrances/outlets to this roundabout.  It gets a little busy sometimes, and traffic does back up on one street entering the circle during late afternoon weekdays (rush hour).  Tallmadge Circle is a bit unnerving at first, especially if you don't know which street to need to exit to, but once you've lived and driven the area a while it's fine - though I'm sure there are people who hate the circle.

Archived