VF1000RE 1984 rebuild

Ronsk

• Member Contributer

I finally made a start on the "R". last weekend stripped the VF1000R down to the frame, repaired the faring.

A bit of plastic welding on the ABS rear and fibreglassing on the bottom front fairing.

I have taken the fairing and frame into the spray painter yesterday.

One question, does anyone know the paint codes for the VF1000RE 1984 model?

It is the intention to try and keep it original with any changes such as fitting CBR600F2 wheels or after market exhaust to be reversible.

IMG_3926.jpeg

IMG_3930.jpeg

63531915312__0763644B-1129-461E-A3A7-CDA8A704768A.jpeg

1511687036_VF1000RandVFR800F.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Wow, will be keeping a close eye on this project, all the best with it Ronsk, sorry can't help with the paint codes.

• Member Contributer

Very cool.  That will indeed be an interesting rebuild.  That is one naked frame . . .

As for colors, I looked at Colorite's website and they do have a color pallet for the '84 VF1000F . . . (not R).  Those bikes are a bit before my time so I don't know the nuances of any differences.  But, it might be a place to start and if lightning strikes may be the same.  The link to their site is below.  If the results don't pop up, just search on year, make and model - you should find it easily.

Keep the pics coming!

https://www.colorrite.com/wizardresults.cfm

• Member Contributer

Wheel swaps on that bike are reversible.  The 41mm clamps and their spread help.   Swingarm width as well.  No issues there if trying to preserve it for a future purist. 

I wouldn't hack up a good original exhaust collector though.

God I love that fucking tank.  Thanks stupid, fat Americans for us not getting it.

What's up with those jacked clip-ons?

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Cogswell said:

Very cool.  That will indeed be an interesting rebuild.  That is one naked frame . . .

As for colors, I looked at Colorite's website and they do have a color pallet for the '84 VF1000F . . . (not R).  Those bikes are a bit before my time so I don't know the nuances of any differences.  But, it might be a place to start and if lightning strikes may be the same.  The link to their site is below.  If the results don't pop up, just search on year, make and model - you should find it easily.

Keep the pics coming!

https://www.colorrite.com/wizardresults.cfm

Thanks for website, will come in handy for a couple of other projects I have in the pipeline.

Unfortunately the 1984 model VF1000R did not make it to the states, so it's not on any of the American websites.

What I most likely need is a photo of a European or Uk model sticker that is under the seat.

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

Wheel swaps on that bike are reversible.  The 41mm clamps and their spread help.   Swingarm width as well.  No issues there if trying to preserve it for a future purist. 

I wouldn't hack up a good original exhaust collector though.

God I love that fucking tank.  Thanks stupid, fat Americans for us not getting it.

What's up with those jacked clip-ons?

Hello Capt,

I have sourced a set wheels and brakes off a CBR600F2, just waiting on a speedo drive to come from the UK. I was planning to get Jamie to machine a hub and provide a change over kit.

With the exhaust, I have a set of slip-on's (lazer I think, will need to check), was looking at putting a complete system onto it and storing the original headers and pipes. The only thing I am missing from the exhaust is the original mufflers. Still looking for a set in Europe, have found a couple, but not having much luck in getting the seller to box and ship them over here at my expense. Anyway the search will continue.

The clip-ons... well..... I only bolted them on to push the bike on to the lift table...thats my excuse..

Cheers Cameron.

429353611_VF1000Rontable.jpeg

• Member Contributer

What are you going to bolt the CBR brakes to?  You plan on swapping forks too?

• Member Contributer
  • Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Thumbs said:

Those are very specific to the 88-89 VFR750F.  Won't even fit the 86-87 VFR, let alone a VF1000R.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

What are you going to bolt the CBR brakes to?  You plan on swapping forks too?

No plan to swap the forks over. The only reason for the wheel swap was to change the front diameter from 16" to 17" to increase the tyre selection. I believe if I reuse the CBR600 calliper mounts, the callipers should bolt straight on.... I hope.

My understanding is that CBR600F2 wheels, discs, brakes callipers and mounts can be swapped out using a kit supplied by Jamie. The speedo drive and CBR600 hub need to be modified. After that it should be just a bolt on change over. I have sourced the CBR600F2 wheels, discs, brakes callipers and mounts. They arrived yesterday.  Still have not opened the package, we are away this weekend in Melbourne to see a music show, so will leave it to next week. I should get the frame back from the spray painter in two-three weeks. The balance of the faring and tank is a month away. The plan is to keep the bike as original as possible, and any modifications like the wheels need to be fully reversible. 

• Member Contributer

I received an answer on the colours from a Facebook group, will post below (with an alternative for the blue) in case anyone else has the same question.

VF1000RE 1984 paint colours

Fighting red

Shasta White

Candy Aleution Blue.

Accurate Silver (Frame)

The red and white can still be found on the paint computer lists , but not the blue . Hyundai Sparkle Blue is a 100% match.

• Member Contributer

There's a little thing called "TRAC" on the left fork that might foul your brake plans.  The spacing on the right fork is wrong for the CBR bracket as well.  The wheel and discs is a bolt on. 

I did 1991 VFR forks on one of my wheel swaps so I could run the larger VFR discs that use the same bolt pattern.

spacer.png

Ford Sonic Blue is also a perfect match.

• Member Contributer

Capt, regarding the VFR750 forks, did you have to change the triple clamps over?

I was not planning to swap the front forks over but may not have a choice. VFR750 forks do look like a good option and I already have a spare set from when I was restoring the VFR750 1991 last year. Ended up changing the forks over to adjustable ones and still have the non-adjustable original forks which I had serviced and resealed. Will still need a VFR front wheel, but at least the front wheels are not in short supply over here, plenty for sale.

I should have the frame back in a couple of weeks. Went the respray route rather than powder coating.

After I get the frame back, will bolt the front forks and rear swing arm on and see what required to get the CBR600F2 wheels to work or go the VFR route... work in progress as they say.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Stray said:

Love these bikes - excellent project! 

it's a work in progress, the advice from this site really helps. 

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, Ronsk said:

Capt, regarding the VFR750 forks, did you have to change the triple clamps over?

I was not planning to swap the front forks over but may not have a choice. VFR750 forks do look like a good option and I already have a spare set from when I was restoring the VFR750 1991 last year. Ended up changing the forks over to adjustable ones and still have the non-adjustable original forks which I had serviced and resealed. Will still need a VFR front wheel, but at least the front wheels are not in short supply over here, plenty for sale.

I should have the frame back in a couple of weeks. Went the respray route rather than power coating.

After I get the frame back, will bolt the front forks and rear swing arm on and see what required to get the CBR600F2 wheels to work or go the VFR route... work in progress as they say.

Forks bolt right in.  Shorter than stock of course, but I wanted that.  I ran them for quite a few miles and eventually the front lower fairing mounts touched the fender when pulling into a parking lot with the bars turned.  JUST touched.  I thought about trimming the mounts as small as possible as a test, but I eliminated them.  Don't have to worry about it now when re-spray the fender.

spacer.png

No issues at all over plenty of miles, two other mounts each side and mirror mounts keeping it solid.  Not going anywhere.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Slow going at the moment. The fairings are being resprayed. I had a couple of drainage bunds installed in the tank and it’s gone back to the spray painter. Don’t nail me to the cross altering the tank.....😀4D73ECB3-D142-4ADB-8D48-0252F58606B8.thumb.jpeg.448a615cef37cb20c15e494b96114e87.jpegF2D6AA9E-B27E-4032-A8DB-158F8FF09ADA.thumb.jpeg.26aec062ce1bf9fcb82388df83edc8dd.jpeg6BB29453-C1DA-44ED-9A2D-FA9F94F31002.thumb.jpeg.db19f580df37ac49d6a2559df502c22f.jpeg

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

The fareing has been repaired and undercoated. Still a small bit of body filler required in a couple of areas. To quote the Spray painter "Out of intensive care, in recovery. Just a couple of splits to be fixed then the body work" I picked the frame up a week ago. It's been re-sprayed in the original colour as well. With a bit of luck and some spare time I should be able to start putting the old girl back together soon.

Resized_20210708_150928.jpeg

Archived