My RC212 that ate a VF1000R (or why you should buy a VFR1200F if you are me)

Over the past couple of years, I have found myself looking at listings for old VFR's, RC's, Aprilia V4's....all in attempt to find the magical road V4 I've been looking for. Additionally, a trashed left shoulder, chronic numb right hand, and age had me wondering if my days of riding sport-touring bikes, much less sport bikes, were long gone. And there it was - a VFR1200F in the showroom. I made an offer I could live with and they took it. It's a manual and all stock, with the exception of the windscreen and the grab handle.

Bottom Line up Front (too old for Tl:dr): I love it. It feels and rides like a more stable version of my old 4th Gen (the one I had an '04 CBR1000RR fork on) with a lot (a lot of a lot) more power and longer wheel base. Others have noted how the weight disappears above 5 mph and it's true. 

Background: I'm a long time member and epic low poster on VFRD. I joined over 20 years ago when I was riding the first of 3 4th Gen VFRs I would own. In between the second and third, I owned a 6th gen for a while, and well after all, I owned a 5th Gen for a few years. Among all of those, I've owned a host of others...mostly heavier or lighter sport touring bikes. I've ridden 2d Gen VFRs and VF1000Rs. Most recently, and currently in my stable, I've been riding a 2015 Versys 1000. It's a great bike and was perfect for two up with my son and I, before he grew too big for comfortable two up riding (both are over 6ft and over 200lbs). Solo, it's a great bike with excellent street power and handling. But it's not a sport configured bike (not complaining - I bought it because of the adventure configuration) and the cylinders all sit in a line, not in two rows of two(V4).

Soooo....I found myself wistfully looking at V4s again. I'd go in a circle, looking at RC30's and 45's. The price for a street bike, preferably a single stable multi use bike, were high and it was a fantasy. So I'd start looking at grey bikes...NC30s and '35s. Then I'd think about a modern RC with a larger motor....namely Aprilia RSV4s and Tuono V4s. The next stop in the circle would be 2d, 3d, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 8th Gen VFRs. Then wash, rinse, repeat the cycle(pun intended). Occasionally, I'd be looking at other sport bikes and sport touring bikes as well. I wasn't really considering the 1200F; I'd wanted one when they were introduced, but other than looks and full fairing, it didn't seem I'd gain much over my modified 2d Gen FZ1 (another great sleeper bike, especially with comfort, suspension, and engine work) and I was busy with a younger family and work.

Plot: So, I swung by the motorcycle dealer to see the new bikes. On the side was a used 2010 (I think it is the same that was sitting on our local Craigslist last summer/fall for awhile. I'm just lying to myself when I say the 'cycle' never included 1200f's). To be fair, I had zero interest in a Crossrunner or Crosstourer. If I go that route, it'll definitely be an Africa Twin. The VFR1200f whispered when I walked past it. It looked relatively clean, 17k miles, and the dealer was listing it lower than I expected for them (they are a very good dealer and service center, but if you are willing to pay more, they are willing to accept your money and their usual pricing reflects that). I was eye-balling the Ninja 1000SX also. It came down to a few things. A lot of happy owners in reviews said: "ignore the nitpicking and just ride the VFR1200F and you'll see the nitpicking is just BS". Also the Ninja 1000 SX is in it's first model year (I'm talking specifically to the latest model with it's improvements), so it'll be available for a while. 2010s aren't around every corner (especially non-shipping or drop off distances) and the prices are flat. Finally, it's a big bore street V4 with VFR rider's triangle. I just couldn't get that on anything else. It started to become clear that to get what I wanted, this was it. Better yet, I could afford to buy it and move on after a few months if it just wasn't going to be one of my long term bikes. So I made my offer (which wasn't generous; if they hadn't accepted my offer, I was more than happy to walk. It helps to have a good bike already in the stable). They accepted and I took the bike. 

It's only been a few days. I've got the Versys on ice while I ride the VFR to work out the kinks. It took me a bit to get the suspension sorted out - I've gotten to almost the best 'on rails' action I think I'll get with ten year old stock suspension. It handles like a champ now; getting it sorted meant living through the 'big greasy pig that doesn't want to lean' phase. Yes, that big motor is dragging a shaft....I could care less for what I'm doing (though I'll admit, a few minutes of coffee time in the garage had me planning to cut off the shaft and drop the engine in a donor RC36 frame with current CBR forks and reinforced swing arm....then I recovered consciousness).  In fact, the shaft is so well done, at worst, it should be a neutral factor in a purchasing decision (also, the dealer confirmed my shaft had been upgraded in the Honda recall). The rider position is spot on for my old 4th Gen without Helibars. The only fly in the ointment is the seat looks like I took it from another bike and jammed it on. It's a VFR pan that may have been recovered, and there is an inch gap between the front edge of the seat and the fuel tank. I know it is a known issue with early VFR12's - it is the worst fitted seat on any bike I've ever owned. I'll get it redone by Sargent or I'll grab a Corbin. It's fine to sit on, but the fitment looks like rat puke. The brakes are phenomenal.

For all the performance, last night I found my favorite part of this bike: the lighting. Even with the original bulbs, it lights up the road incredibly well on low beam. The amount of light coverage to the left and right was thoroughly surprising. I've been living under a rock if every bike is this good now; my Versys has good forward throw on low beam but terrible illumination to the sides (I've got the little adventure lights on my 'to do' list for it) on low and high. The VFR seems like it has lighting that trumps the cornering lights that some bikes comes with now. I love this....I noticed it immediately and thought of all the times I'd be following a ball of light on the road and turning into a well of darkness waiting for my headlights to catch up with my steering.

So, my RC212 that ate an VF1000R (and then was eaten by a VFR750 riding an RC45)? Well, the VFR1200f has that big motor that seems akin to the last 75.5 degree Honda GP V4, at least enough to fool the unwary and make me happy. It weighs like an old VFR1000R moving around the garage (this is why we deadlift!). It handles like a VFR750 with a slightly longer swingarm and I love RC45's. Yes, it's perfect. 

VFR12.jpeg

Indeed great write up! 
 And good looking bike for sure, congratz.
Suspension might be "old" at this point, but i think distance matters more than time when it comes to suspension? At least mine still feels great, and my bike is from 2011 (only 4k miles however) 

Happy you are pleased with your ride, i am over the moon with mine haha. 

• celerfrog changed the title to My RC212 that ate a VF1000R (or why you should buy a VFR1200F if you are me)

Love mine, I also looked extensively at original reviews done years ago. I couldn’t believe the BS people posted back then. Maybe that was a good thing, the bike never become popular and we were able to get this great bargain. 

1 hour ago, Sunde said:

Indeed great write up! 
 And good looking bike for sure, congratz.
Suspension might be "old" at this point, but i think distance matters more than time when it comes to suspension? At least mine still feels great, and my bike is from 2011 (only 4k miles however) 

Happy you are pleased with your ride, i am over the moon with mine haha. 

Very good point about distance (suspension cycles) versus age. Like the old line from Raiders of the Lost Ark: "It ain't the age, it's the mileage". 

On the other hand, all good motorcycle politicians know to never blame on yourself that which can be blamed on equipment;)

She's a great motorcycle. 

• Member Contributer

Nice story, you should post more.

A massively underestimated bike with a stonker of an engine and excellent handling once you've tweaked it (or replaced it).

I will never sell mine!

• Member Contributer

Congrats, you will love it! Actually it seems you already do.  😉

The worst I can say about my seven years with my 1st year 2010  7th gen is that it is heavy, it is totally analog--no TC, ride modes etc. despite the RBW (good or bad depending on your preference), and the only thing worse than taking off the plastic is getting it back on.

But it might be Honda's best V4 this side of motogp, the brakes are the best I've ever experienced, and yours is red! For six years it was my only bike, it can do and be everything.

IMG_1737.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Congratulations and welcome back to the V4 club!!  I’ve been thinking about going over to the GS1250 ...but then I go ride my DCT 1200 and it’s like what am I thinking?!  I still love my 1200 after 8 years. 

Archived