VFR 2003 Exhaust Pipes - Stainless or not?

fabio222

Hey all,

Been a while since I've posted here but am glad to see some of the familiar usernames from over the years! I hope you're all doing well.

I bought a 2003 VFR 800 a year ago, haven't been able to put up many miles on it really and was just wondering what the story is with the stock exhaust pipes. Are they stainless or are they mild steel?

• Member Contributer

They seem like they are stainless as they are very resistant to corrosion.  The stock exhaust on my 02 are in great shape.

• Member Contributer

They are stainless... my 02 had a bit of a rougher life before i got it, but even with surface corrosion on the pipes i was able to get it mostly off the front downpipes with some good scrubbing... used a green scotch brite pad and alternating brake cleaner and wd 40.  I didnt worry about the rest of the system as its less obvious to see.  Some day... or replace with the TBR replica system....

• Member Contributer

The stuff to effortlessly remove corrosion and discolouration on stainless steel is Autosol Blue Remover

Its phosphoric acid in a gel, wipe it on, wipe it off ....just don’t get it on your skin

Takes all the effort out and only works on the corrosion 

BAD68E21-5C79-431F-B84E-95EBD695CF4A.jpeg

I think it is not a secret that toilet cleaner does the same for no money. Two issues: after acid wash steel needs to be passivated, most neglect that step and second cleaning doesn’t last. Honda uses steel that tarnish easily. 

• Member Contributer

Whether stock stainless or full race titanium I always wrap my pipes and I also wrap my RC45 customers pipes to curb the

heat that radiates from combustion...

gallery_3131_51_1853.jpg

gallery_3131_51_90260.jpg

gallery_3131_51_19326.jpg[

The amount of corrosion is limited to slight graying of the titanium
surface... buffed with grey micro 3M pad the luster of the metal returns...

gallery_3131_51_52132.jpg

• Member Contributer

Many OEM exhausts uses 409 stainless. Which isn't as pretty and shiny as 304 stainless. The 409 has less chromium and develops into dark brown with age, but it's not rusted. Surface stays smooth and there's no powdery corrosion. 

• Member Contributer

16 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

Many OEM exhausts uses 409 stainless. Which isn't as pretty and shiny as 304 stainless. The 409 has less chromium and develops into dark brown with age, but it's not rusted. Surface stays smooth and there's no powdery corrosion. 

This explains the colour of some parts of my NT700v exhausts. 

@Magneto - What is passivation? Can it be done at home?

• Member Contributer

Yup, what acid-treatment does is remove iron molecules from surface. Leaving chromium-oxide on surface which doesn't corrode. Citric-acid is rapidly replacing nitric-acid as it works on larger variety of stainless-steels and much less toxic.

Yep, that is how citric acid passivation works. Nitric acid removes iron on the surface but also penetrates and works below surface and is considered better passivator.   From what I understand critic has issues with 400 series stainless as well.

Archived