Help pleasepl

iscqda

Hello all

Help please

Can anyone advise please?

Just got a 1991 750 fm model (single sided swinging arm).    Very original and just 27k miles with some history

The bike runs but cuts out after a few minutes and then takes an age to Re start

I have heard that regulators can be a problem as can fuel pump.   Any suggestions would
Be much appreciated 

Also.    The bike has original exhaust system but the collector box is blowing.     Does anyone have a spare to buy please?    Or is there anything else I could adapt?   Thanks

• Member Contributer

Could be fuel starvation. Have you tested the pump? 

Try a gravity fed tank with a hose straight to carbs. If it runs fine like that you’ve found the issue. I use an old dishwashing soap bottle with a length of old fuel hose. Must have a breather to let fuel pour out smoothly. 

Speaking of breathers, make sure your breathers on the tank are clear. If blocked then only a bit of fuel will pour out until the vacuum is too strong. To test, just open the fuel cap and run like that. If it doesn’t cut out then you’ve found your problem. 

If it’s been sat for a long time the tank and fuel filter/carbs could be gummed up with varnish or rust particles. How clean is the tank inside? 

Archived