Tank Prop Rod

TriumphTraitor

• Member Contributer

The locks downs have me going crazy these days finding any excuses to tinker. In the process of doing a full PAIR delete and prepping for heated grips. I decided to make a prop rod for the gas tank. Honda's solution of using the chain tensioning tool just seemed silly to me. 

Bent up some 3/16" rod, added a rubber bumper and presto. Simple prop rod that fits perfectly with the tool pouch in the bike

IMG_20210221_124210.jpg

IMG_20210221_124215.jpg

IMG_20210221_124222.jpg

IMG_20210221_124715.jpg

IMG_20210221_124832.jpg

Suzuki has similar design to yours and it was provided standard on my SV1000. There was slight Improvement compared to your design, a loop at the end of the prop that would go over stem nut providing positive location of the prop. 

Once I installed fender eliminator spot for it under seat wast lost, so it was the prop somewhere in vastness of the garage...

• Member Contributer

A similar item is standard fitment on my ST1300 and clips onto the undertray beneath the seat.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Magneto said:

Suzuki has similar design to yours and it was provided standard on my SV1000. There was slight Improvement compared to your design, a loop at the end of the prop that would go over stem nut providing positive location of the prop. 

Once I installed fender eliminator spot for it under seat wast lost, so it was the prop somewhere in vastness of the garage...

That's actually where I got my inspiration from. My old SV650 had a prop rod similar to what I am assuming you had on your SV1000.

I have a GPS mount attached through the center of my stem nut, so I couldn't use the stem nut. Bonus is though, the ABS lines and the tank fastening bosses give a pretty secure spot to put the end of the rod.

49 minutes ago, Terry said:

A similar item is standard fitment on my ST1300 and clips onto the undertray beneath the seat.

Once it gets warmer out, I may try to find a more elegant way to mount it somewhere 

• Member Contributer

The rubber bump looks fairly stable but what about a welded washer and then using the tank bolt in place, just incase I knock it, I mean you knock it, ok ok I've knocked the prop once or twice. lol

• Member Contributer

My tank prop consists of a length of 1 x 3 wood with two pins to fit in the frame holes and one pin to fit in the tank tab hole (optional, use two for the grommet holes).  Made a similar one for the FJR, much shorter.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, raYzerman said:

My tank prop consists of a length of 1 x 3 wood with two pins to fit in the frame holes and one pin to fit in the tank tab hole (optional, use two for the grommet holes).  Made a similar one for the FJR, much shorter.

I was using a scrap piece of wood at one point, but in my move it got lost in transit, and I did want something that would look factory under the seat so it wouldn't get lost again. Boredom has me tinkering under the "hood" more often than not these days

• Member Contributer

My wooden creations are for shop use only.  I haven't had occasion to lift the tank on any bike while on the road, but if I did, I'd make a steel rod.

• Member Contributer

I’m with Magneto - rubber mallet/dead blow hammer in the garage. 

Never had cause to lift the tank on the street but if I did there’d be some scrap of wood or similar about. 

I do love your ingenuity though, TT. Simplicity and elegance in design are hard to achieve at the same time. You’ve achieved them both with your Tank Prop Rod!  

This is a great idea. Last February, as I was tackling an issue with mine, I didn't realise that you could leave the tank bolted at the back (the hinge). The tank fell...

I think people heard me shout for miles around.

Thankfully, somehow, the tank was only barely scratched on a bit you can't even see really. Miraculous. 

• Member Contributer

Nice job. I just use a framing hammer or other long handled tool that is within reach, works fine for me. I haven't ever needed to lift my tank out on the road, where having a little rod like this would be super handy.

Archived