White smoke/steam from exhaust.

Phye07

So, I have white moist smoke/steam coming from the exhaust on start up. I will describe now. Link to video: 

The bike starts up with no smoke at all. After a minute or two the smoke starts to billow out the exhaust. It takes around 10+ minutes to finally dissipate. Once it has gone away, there is no more white smoke. 

If the bike is left to sit for more than 5 minutes, when I restart the smoke appears again. 

There is moisture spitting out the cans when the bike is warming up. It has soot in it, no oil. 

Please add any comments or advice so I may correctly diagnose the situation I have. 

• Member Contributer

It sounds like it has a bit of a stumble when you open the throttle. Does the smoke have a very sweet smell to it?

Does it have a very pungent, acrid smell? It is quite possible that it is running a bit rich.

It's also very possible that the ambient air temperature and humidity is currently at the perfect temperature that the exhaust gasses hit the dewpoint .

• Member Contributer

One of the main derivatives of combustion is water vapor, so if it's cold outside you will see steam. If you see it on a warm afternoon, then be concerned. If it is thick white, or blue smoke, also be concerned. 

Check your coolant level, could be a pinhole leak in the head gasket, so if it has done it for awhile, you would have a bit of coolant loss. Although most of the head gasket leaks I have seen, make one's vehicle look like a steam engine!

Yours does not seem too bad.

• Member Contributer

On 2/16/2021 at 3:15 PM, Phye07 said:

If the bike is left to sit for more than 5 minutes, when I restart the smoke appears again. 

This is part that worries me. In 5-minutes, bike will not have cooled off enough to trigger cold-start enrichment when re-started. Should not be any extra petrol to generate extra water-vapour.

1. Do compression-test. Those numbers will be good data to use for analysis.

2. Measure vacuum in intake-manifold at idle. Can use rubber-T and tap into MAP or FPR vacuum lines.

3. Has your coolant-level dropped?

• Member Contributer

It is normal on a cold day even as the engine gets warm. I whet a couple of mile the other day and was still getting steam as I was ate the light.

If you're not losing coolant from the reservoir, and the white mist has stopped after about 5 minutes of riding. You're ok. The bike will produce the white mist until the whole exhaust is warmed up. When you have shut the bike off and restarted a few minutes later. In the short period of time. Your exhaust has cooled off and has to be warmed up again. If you have a coolant leak. The white mist would never stop, and or your oil would look like milk. Plus your reservoir would be losing level. 

Archived