96 VFR750F project, worth more as parts or as a whole?

I bought a project 1996 vfr750f last year and have been working on it steadily.

After about a year I’ve managed to rebuild the top half of the engine, replace the spark plugs and ignition coils, replace the dead battery, cracked windshield, rebuild the carbs (twice), replace the tires, patch the cracks in the plastics using fiberglass and epoxy, rebuilt the brakes, sand and paint the exhaust, and replace cables and lines here and there.

I’ve sunk so much money into this bike and I feel still like I’m getting nowhere. 

Now I’m determined to sell it... I’m hoping to get around 2000-2500 out of it because she still needs a lot of cosmetic work. But mechanically she’s sound. 

After browsing classifieds and eBay I began to consider selling the bike for parts (as much as it pains me to do so) because it looks like she’s worth more parted out than as a whole. 

Any suggestions?

Have you considered buying Chinese bodywork available on ebay ?  I know its not ideal but you get the full kit , painted and ready to fit for around £335 here , so around $470.00

Then you have a finished bike that looks good that you can ride. 

It would be a shame for you to give up.

I have heard that ebay seller Auctmarts does very good kits, but I have no personal experience of this myself.

• Member Contributer

There’s so much VFR750F stuff on eBay and not a lot of it sells, I’ve been sourcing stuff for my 89 RC24, only made for 2 years but I’ve bought everything I needed and some I didn’t .. like a fuel tank with tap for £10

The smaller the lumps the longer they don’t sell, plus of course you have to break it up and waste more time packaging it up, eBay fees, etc 

Put it on Craigslist as a project 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, MuppetGonzo said:

fooey nothing for vfr50fp think that's 3rd gen

Have a look here https://www.airtech-streamlining.com/honda-fairings-seats-fenders-parts/VFR7501994-97.htm

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, SpaceCowboy271 said:

Now I’m determined to sell it...

Curious why you're now wanting to sell it? To get something else? If so, what?

IMO keep it and finish it, losing $ on rebuilding them is part of the experience and fun of the hobby. 😐

6 minutes ago, VifferJ said:

Curious why you're now wanting to sell it? To get something else? If so, what?

IMO keep it and finish it, losing $ on rebuilding them is part of the experience and fun of the hobby. 😐

Moving in the next few months and I’m kinda burnt out on the project. If anything I’d probably go immediately for a 5th gen just so I have the simplicity of fuel injection (I’m REALLY DONE REBUILDING

VFR CABRS 😂), otherwise just a newer bike that doesn’t need any work that I can use as a commuter and weekend stallion. 

• Member Contributer

Cost of living in CA is outrageous! $1mil+ for dump!

Gotta consider cost of your time as well. It takes A LOT of work to break up bike and send parts off here and there. Most of it will end up being dumped, what a waste.  Just offer whole package as-is, it'd be more valuable and useful to someone who'll finish up project and get to ride it! :laugh:

• Member Contributer

From this side of the pond i'd say you have already passed the point of no return.....

Selling -as a whole or in parts- will never yield more than you already poured in. Let alone the hours...

2 grand for a 4th Gen that is cosmetically challenged?  No way José... 

The part you spent the most on is the LEAST valuable.....  

In the unlikely event a current owner will need a spare engine, 250 is about the going rate..

After totalling my 4th gen in 2016, the "high" value items were:

-8 spoker rear wheel with single nut cover

-front rim (desired by 1st gen CBR900 owners)

-Akrapovic carbon high mount

-pristine bodywork (from the attic)

-Wilbers rear suspension

-MOSFET regulator

-re-jetted carbs+K&N airfilter

-re-upholstered seat

Last summer I recommissioned a 4th gen and installed things like

-New YSS rear shock

-White Power front springs

-pristine OEM muffler

-New HEL brake lines

-new front wheel bearings 

-OEM Y2K mirrors

-New Dunlops

-ALL fluids changed, brake calipers serviced

-Pristine bodywork

"best" offer was Euro 1,400 (he was "doing me a favor" he stated). He never even wanted to come out and see the bike in real life...

IMG_0403.thumb.jpg.0c3be04f3c29795eb7672de550119475.jpg

I gave the bike to my brother and his daughter. They happy, me happy...

On 2/16/2021 at 1:06 AM, SpaceCowboy271 said:

I bought a project 1996 vfr750f last year and have been working on it steadily.

After about a year I’ve managed to rebuild the top half of the engine, replace the spark plugs and ignition coils, replace the dead battery, cracked windshield, rebuild the carbs (twice), replace the tires, patch the cracks in the plastics using fiberglass and epoxy, rebuilt the brakes, sand and paint the exhaust, and replace cables and lines here and there.

I’ve sunk so much money into this bike and I feel still like I’m getting nowhere. 

Now I’m determined to sell it... I’m hoping to get around 2000-2500 out of it because she still needs a lot of cosmetic work. But mechanically she’s sound. 

After browsing classifieds and eBay I began to consider selling the bike for parts (as much as it pains me to do so) because it looks like she’s worth more parted out than as a whole. 

Any suggestions?

Hi There, do you have any pics of the current state of the bike?  I might be interested.

Thanks!

On 2/16/2021 at 12:47 PM, SpaceCowboy271 said:

Moving in the next few months and I’m kinda burnt out on the project. If anything I’d probably go immediately for a 5th gen just so I have the simplicity of fuel injection (I’m REALLY DONE REBUILDING

VFR CABRS 😂), otherwise just a newer bike that doesn’t need any work that I can use as a commuter and weekend stallion. 

Being mind reader and such I can tell you are not really happy with the bike and how the project is going 🙂 That is often the case with projects. If I mess up something I would put it away for a while till I cool down, then pick it up again, sometime throw stuff away and start again. Another issue, if you think project is over your head, it is ok to ask here, lots of people would help you. But it is also ok to dump it and buy something you can ride and enjoy.

With that recent cafe craze everyone was doing some “projects”, mostly old beater bikes. One thing it is not that easy, second although we are fond of old junk because we were young back then, they still junk by modern standards, picky, primitive  and maintenance/ labor intensive.... 

20210221-194727.jpg

I recently found this thing sitting at some yard and was contemplating how much I should offer. At the end I couldn't find good reason why to own it past challenge of restoring it and making it run. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 2/17/2021 at 5:42 AM, Dutchy said:

From this side of the pond i'd say you have already passed the point of no return.....

Selling -as a whole or in parts- will never yield more than you already poured in. Let alone the hours...

2 grand for a 4th Gen that is cosmetically challenged?  No way José... 

The part you spent the most on is the LEAST valuable.....  

In the unlikely event a current owner will need a spare engine, 250 is about the going rate..

After totalling my 4th gen in 2016, the "high" value items were:

-8 spoker rear wheel with single nut cover

-front rim (desired by 1st gen CBR900 owners)

-Akrapovic carbon high mount

-pristine bodywork (from the attic)

-Wilbers rear suspension

-MOSFET regulator

-re-jetted carbs+K&N airfilter

-re-upholstered seat

Last summer I recommissioned a 4th gen and installed things like

-New YSS rear shock

-White Power front springs

-pristine OEM muffler

-New HEL brake lines

-new front wheel bearings 

-OEM Y2K mirrors

-New Dunlops

-ALL fluids changed, brake calipers serviced

-Pristine bodywork

"best" offer was Euro 1,400 (he was "doing me a favor" he stated). He never even wanted to come out and see the bike in real life...

IMG_0403.thumb.jpg.0c3be04f3c29795eb7672de550119475.jpg

I gave the bike to my brother and his daughter. They happy, me happy...

Dutchy Dutchy, I am so glad to see that you get another GEN four. I was so upset when I saw you had lost yours. I haven't been on much due to some family issues, but I still have my 97 and can't imagine a better bike no matter what I read about. Keep the faith my man. NACA ducts forever!

Archived