Rear brake lever install on dct vfr left handle bar

AussieBob

I originally bought my 2010 DCT because arthritis in my left ankle was causing me increasing difficulty in changing gear on my various conventional bikes. In that regard it has been fantastic, totally reliable and a joy to ride. However, now I am starting to have the same problem on the right side and am concerned that soon I will be unable to operate the rear brake sufficiently well to help control the bike during slow speed manoeuvres. 
Consequently, I am considering the possibility of utilising a clutch lever from a F to enable me to have a rear brake operated from the left handlebar.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who may also have tried to do this and how well it may have worked.

Very interesting topic. From Human-Machine interface point of view nothing unusual, bicycles use the setup since forever. Hydraulically just a matter of right piston diameter and travel for the lever effort. 

Personally I would rather fit hydraulic caliper in place of mechanical caliper DTC has, to go with additional master cylinder. This would leave foot operated master cylinder and its connections unchanged. Should work for what you need to have due to disability and leave bike with relatively minor changes for liability and resale concerns. 

Lever clamp would work for parking brake scenarios...

Left hand operated rear brake is actually getting kind of popular among serious dirt bike riders. Maybe browse the adventure forums for someone more familiar with what it takes.

To go along with Magento's comments above, a small dirt bike or scooter master cylinder/lever/hose/caliper assembly is very affordable if you wouldn't mind tinkering a bit...

• Member Contributer

The bore size is stamped on the side of the master cylinder, hopefully it's the same bore as the clutch. Although, they may have different ratios, as your foot has a different motion as your hand - one is squeezing, and one is pushing down. Not to mention different strengths....

That’s an excellent idea . How much room do you have on the handle bars on the left? 
I am guessing the DCT fill the usual space for placement. 
I am sorry but have to ask, if both feet are bad how do you support and manoeuvre the bike? 

• Member Contributer

My 01 FSC600 Silver Wing scooter has a left hand linked brake (one piston up front, two on the rear wheel), the right hand brake drives the other two front caliper pistons. Once you aclimatise, it's a really controllable setup, and I think it would make perfect sense on the DCT bike. As stated above the master size needs to be appropriate to the leverage (hand or foot) and the caliper piston area. My FSC uses a 12.7mm master and that drives two 27mm and one 22.65mm piston, so the ratio of areas (slave:master) is 12.22, which seems to be pretty typical for a sliding piston caliper activated by hand. If you have opposed piston calipers on the 1200 then you would want to double the ratio to something like 25. YMMV and all that...

15 hours ago, MuppetGonzo said:

.... How much room do you have on the handle bars on the left? 
I am guessing the DCT fill the usual space for placement....

DTC has parking brake lever where manual bike has clutch lever. Parking brake lever would have to be relocated somewhere, exed or replaced with dedicated hand operated rear brake circuit.

Just done a quick google search There’s a whole wealth of information blog, forum about modifying motorcycles for veterans/amputees and disabled riders. There was one I read about a Spanish chap missing his right arm so all hand controls on left clutch and break. That was not a vfr and was a bit mad max style. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived