Speed Bleeders

CoyoteChris

• Member Contributer

Greetings. I was lucky enough to find a new 2015 Gen 8 about 16 months ago. Love it. I tour with it along with my FJR and V-Strom.  Every bike I have had since 2012 I have put Speed Bleeders on . Makes changing the brake/clutch fluid a snap. Well, I went to their fitment chart and they only go up to the 2009.  I emailed the company to see if they had any more info but I thought I would ask here.  The 2009 uses the M8 sized bleeder for brakes and clutch. Wonder if the Gen 8 does also?  I will try the on line parts schematics too. 

TIA

Ye olde Coyote

• Member Contributer

Front……SB7100S quantity 2, 1 for each caliper

Rear…….SB8125L quantity 1

Clutch….SB8125L

This is from a posting in the thread you created September 2019, for the 8gen. No guarantee for its accuracy, but assume it's correct.

See page 4 of the 8gen forum.

I have an air powered bleeder that I bought at harbor freight a few years ago.  Maybe fifteen bucks.  It's so easy to use, I would never consider any other way.  Please consider giving it a try.  It really is that much better than manual bleeding, even with the speed bleeders.  

92924_W4.jpg

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Grum said:

Clutch….SB8125L

This is from a posting in the thread you created September 2019, for the 8gen. No guarantee for its accuracy, but assume it's correct.

Thanks. Yes, that is the problem. That is exactly what I have in my VFR box but I cant remember where I got the info from!  I will check out my old post.

• Member Contributer
4 minutes ago, Sparkie said:

I have an air powered bleeder that I bought at harbor freight a few years ago.  Maybe fifteen bucks.  It's so easy to use, I would never consider any other way.  Please consider giving it a try.  It really is that much better than manual bleeding, even with the speed bleeders.

I will check it out. I assume it is a pump?  Nothing wrong with that as long as you keep an eye on the resevoir.

https://www.harborfreight.com/brake-fluid-bleeder-92924.html?cid=paid_google|||92924&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_content=&gclid=CjwKCAiAjp6BBhAIEiwAkO9WujE2-WmztKQWjkpIIHpmwAbgj_doCs1QMdA_aaI32hjeCrp7VRADDxoCQkcQAvD_BwE

1 minute ago, CoyoteChris said:

It's pneumatic.  You turn on your air compressor, squeeze the handle on the bleeder and lock it in the on position. It gives constant suction.  There is a bottle that comes with it that automatically fills your master cylinder without overfilling it.  All you have to do is crack the bleeder screw and wait til the fluid is coming out clear.  100% perfect easy bleeds every time.  And it's cheaper than buying multiple speed bleeders, also.  It's just a great system.  🙂

• Member Contributer
3 minutes ago, Sparkie said:

It's pneumatic.  You turn on your air compressor, squeeze the handle on the bleeder and lock it in the on position. It gives constant suction.  There is a bottle that comes with it that automatically fills your master cylinder without overfilling it.  All you have to do is crack the bleeder screw and wait til the fluid is coming out clear.  100% perfect easy bleeds every time.  And it's cheaper than buying multiple speed bleeders, also.  It's just a great system.  🙂

OK, yes, I see how it would work now......its actually pretty slick.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Grum said:

Clutch….SB8125L

Wow...I had been under way too much stress at my age....I had forgotten all about that.....old age isnt for sissies.  The fluid wasnt dark...I was looking at it wrong....but its gonna get changed. I cant believe how much fun this bike is to tour/camp on. I road 534 miles one day and felt fine. Havent done that in decades.15831341_aabikesmall.jpg.cc78d5ae22a3f218fb73537e542220a0.jpg

• Member Contributer

Pneumatic or vacuum bleeders only work well if you can get the bleeder screws to seal. Otherwise air just leaks past

the bleeder threads. I used a MityVac for a while, but honestly, the SpeedBleeders work better with less hassle.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, that's why I only unscrew bleeder about 1/4-turn. There's resistance to sucking in air through tight gap. And any air that does get sucked by vacuum-source goes along with fluid outwards to get dumped, not go back into brakes. Be sure to tighten bleeder while vacuum is still on.

Just like with traditional pedal/lever pumping, you have to make sure you close bleeder before letting up and allowing flow to reverse.

Solo-Bleed is better than Speed Bleeders because the plunger is between thread-gaps and brakes. With Speed Bleeders, if you unscrew too far, you'll suck in air because the plunger is after the threads.

• Member Contributer

A couple of things you can do to seal the OEM bleeder screws.... remove and wrap with teflon tape, or back them out a fair bit and use silicone grease on the threads, snug them back in.  I think you can also buy Speedbleeders thread sealer.

• Member Contributer

The SpeedBleeders I bought had threadlocker already in place. And I've never had any issues with air

getting past the threads or check valve.

Adding teflon tape to a braking system, like wrapping bleeder screws is not a good idea.

"Solo-Bleed is better than Speed Bleeders because the plunger is between thread-gaps and brakes. With Speed Bleeders, if you unscrew too far, you'll suck in air because the plunger is after the threads."

But that's the very nice thing about SpeedBleeders: you don't have to unscrew them much at all. And you don't need any other

tools. Just squeeze the lever. Works a treat. Solo-Bleed looks like they would work okay too.

Archived