Oregon, Calgary, and Cody

RobF

• Member Contributer

It's looking like I will have a week or two for a big trip in September. Hopefully, the COVID situation will be well under control by then. As a first draft, I'm looking at a rough triangle that connects Eugene, Oregon; Calgary, Alberta; and Cody, Wyoming.

Any recommendations for routes, roads, destinations, or accommodations from veterans of the northwest? 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, RobF said:

It's looking like I will have a week or two for a big trip in September. Hopefully, the COVID situation will be well under control by then. As a first draft, I'm looking at a rough triangle that connects Eugene, Oregon; Calgary, Alberta; and Cody, Wyoming.

Any recommendations for routes, roads, destinations, or accommodations from veterans of the northwest? 

There's a lot of "thinking out loud" to follow here vs anything definitive.  The map has pieces from trips I've done over the years, albeit starting from PDX.  Unfortunately, Google Maps has made it more difficult than it used to be to overcome it not mapping roads that are seasonally closed due to snow.  :angry:  Ah well - it's fine for discussion purposes. From EUG, work you way across E. Oregon as you likely know well, to Enterprise.  Then head north to Lewiston - that will take you over Rattlesnake Grade - down to the river level then back up and out - a really great piece of twisty road.  Then from Lewiston (take a side trip to ride the Spiral Highway on the North side of Lewiston) over Hwy 12 to Missoula - a National Scenic Highway which is a "can't miss".  100 miles of sweepers that follow the Lochsa river with virtually no sign of human activity - you can go non-stop if you want.  From there you could head North to Glacier Park, then from there work your way in to Canada.  It's by no means assured the border will be open tho.  At any rate from Glacier if you wanted to work your way west there is some great riding and scenery in the area bounded by Kelowna and Nelson- we had a meet in Nelson in 2011.  I'm sure Canadian friends (and there are lots of them!) can give good advice on particulars of that. Then I route it down over Beartooth Pass on the North side of Yellowstone (not mapped) to Red Lodge, MT.  Beartooth is another "can't miss" national scenic highway.   Very twisty to spectacular views at the summit (over 10,000 feet).  In summer you could work you way west out of Cody (stop and the Cody museum there - that could be a full day) to Yellowstone,  then work your way across Central Idaho through the Stanley area to Baker City, then back across E. Oregon home. 

There are plenty of variations on this depending upon time and preference, but I'd definitely try to get in Rattlesnake, Hwy 12 and Beartooth - the latter two are epic bucket list roads.  Sorry the mapping isn't better - if you want more detail, send a PM and I'll try to do a better job.  I hope this works out for you - a lot of us have been on road trip withdrawal, including me.

https://goo.gl/maps/oS9L17Sf8HwPB3B49

• Member Contributer

I was on that very same ride mid September 2019.  Only made it halfway before the weather made it no fun and I headed back home.  Planned on it this last summer but the Covid put a slammer on it.  This summer maybe?

Anyway, Cogswells path is a awesome ride experience.  

Archived