Honda low and narrow seat P/N 08R50-MGE-100D

Magneto

My seat developed cracks in usual spots up front and I am looking at replacement options. Not much affordable options up here beyond Sargent and Corbin that are hyped and overpriced. Some very nice options in Europe but covid.

I see Honda low and narrow seat PN 08R50-MGE-100D and I wonder how it compares to the regular seat. There is some stock photo but it looks like artist interpretation not actual seat. Does anybody here has that seat installed on their bike?

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Magneto said:

My seat developed cracks in usual spots up front and I am looking at replacement options. Not much affordable options up here beyond Sargent and Corbin that are hyped and overpriced. Some very nice options in Europe but covid.

I see Honda low and narrow seat PN 08R50-MGE-100D and I wonder how it compares to the regular seat. There is some stock photo but it looks like artist interpretation not actual seat. Does anybody here has that seat installed on their bike?

Why not recover your seat yourself?

Buy some decent Naugahyde or similar and have a go.

Its not that difficult once you figure out how to stretch it properly.

Heres a link to a post on anther Board I wrote up. Hopefully it will give you the basics.

How to: Recover your seat (v4hondabbs.com)

BTW, I was paying $8 per yard for the Naugahyde which would do 2 seats, and probably less than a $1 for the staples to do a single seat, so its a budget friendly job. Just a thought.

To be honest, I wouldn’t know where to start, there is a lots of details in the stock seat. I hear vinyl is bonded to foam, not sure how to deal with that. 

I have seen custom covers for sale with DIY installation  but coming close price wise to brand new seat. Thank you for the link, maybe it is really something I can tackle...

• Member Contributer

Look for a custom motorcycle seat upholsterer, like this https://saddlemen.com/

I had my 8th gen recovered with non slip vinyl and also had the shape changed with denser foam inserts by these people http://www.sussexmotorcycles.com/elite-comfort-motorcycle-seats.html

I didn’t go there, we sorted it out on the phone and it’s perfect .....£140 including insured shipping both ways

1 hour ago, Thumbs said:

I had my 8th gen recovered with non slip vinyl and also had the shape changed with denser foam inserts by these people http://www.sussexmotorcycles.com/elite-comfort-motorcycle-seats.html

I didn’t go there, we sorted it out on the phone and it’s perfect .....£140 including insured shipping both ways

I would be happy to spend that kind of money but on this side of pond it is 500 - 600 bucks. Perhaps comparing both markets pricing make me think twice about spending that kind of money on some foam and vinyl and there is Honda brand new seat for below 300 bucks...

• Member Contributer

I took seat on my VF500F to car-upholstery place to get re-done in black. Cost something like $50. This was 20-yrs ago, so probably double that now.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Thumbs said:

Sussex Motorrcycles offer while you wait service, Who does that anymore! 

The price you paid with insured shipping is very, very good. 

There is a reason I recover my own seats, I can't afford not to. There is a shop that used to be in Maine but has relocated to Calf that will repair, recover or modify your seat. Labor rate is $125 an hour plus materials and shipping. 

• Member Contributer

I recover all of my seats myself.  Partly because I want it done right and mostly because I'm not going to pay what upholsterers want here in the PNW.  Fucking insane.  Yes I know time is money, but they add a "delicate genius" tax around here.  I also do some foam and pan modifications.  Now if I needed a truly custom seat, I would have to bite the bullet.  I used to try car upholsterers first, as they would typically give me a better quote.

It's a bitch at first, but once you do a couple, you get the hang of it.  They can still take a while though, and I have go back and pull staples sometimes to get things straight and tight.

And I use just a simple mechanical hand stapler, good penetration and hold on the ABS pan no prob, even through folded vinyl.  Another thing I learned, get the cheap staples that aren't "sharpened" on the tips.  Just straight ends.  The angled ones will OFTEN want to kick to one side and not go into the pan.   I came across a box cheap ones in my shit when I needed to finish a job, and I couldn't believe how straight and deep the staples went in.  I used to have a small pile of used staples that I would have to remove because they kicked to one side.  Now the extras are just ones that I removed to make adjustments.    

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Magneto said:

I would be happy to spend that kind of money but on this side of pond it is 500 - 600 bucks. Perhaps comparing both markets pricing make me think twice about spending that kind of money on some foam and vinyl and there is Honda brand new seat for below 300 bucks...

That was to have the seat reshaped to my specifications, after 20k miles the foam had compacted, so they spent about 3 hours on it

Check their website and see how much what you want is going to cost

International shipping is not as expensive as it used to be, there may be a seat on eBay.co.uk that you could get sent to Sussex Motorcycles and then you’d only have one way shipping 

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Magneto said:

So if considering DYI seat recover how you are dealing with factory seat that has vinyl bonded to the foam?

knife

• Member Contributer

I had the OEM low seat and hated it.  The vinyl is the same super-slippery stuff they used on the 2010 seat.  My main complaint was the seat was much narrower than the standard seat.  It wasn't comfortable. 

3 hours ago, Oregonian said:

I had the OEM low seat and hated it.  The vinyl is the same super-slippery stuff they used on the 2010 seat.  My main complaint was the seat was much narrower than the standard seat.  It wasn't comfortable. 

Much obligated, thank you

Archived