Set my expectations...

Igrok

I rode to work the other morning and everything was fine. got home and changed clothes, went to ride to the park to play a little football with my son and when I started my VFR, it idled around 900 RPM for a half a minute, then went to normal idle, but the engine light is blinking 2 times then not, then 2 times... manual  says it's a faulty map sensor. I read a few threads where that was the case and my questions are:

1. do they just go bad like that??

2. is it a job I should tackle or let a shop do it? (on a scale of 1 to 10 for mechanical minded, I'm a 7-ish)

I'm not afraid to tackle it, but if it's worth paying a shop, I'm up for that as well. I've got some big trips planned for this summer and want the bike to be in tip top shape.

• Member Contributer

Can be a failed MAP sensor, or the vacuum hose has come off or leaking. Check the electrical connector is properly on and the vacuum hose integrity first.

Do know of an 8gen that had a DTC code of 2 and the vacuum hose had come off the MAP Sensor.

Failing that you should check that the signal ground is good Gray wire and that the VCC voltage yellow/red is good, and the signal wire continuity back to the ECM. Refer the Service Manual.

Also when lowering your tank back down from the maintenance position, DON'T forget to take up the slack of the tank breather hose. Very Important!!!!

If all else fails the MAP sensor replacement is fairly simple.

• Member Contributer

Luckily MAP sensors are very durable and rarely fail. Most likely leaky cracked hose is issue and easily fixed. Leaky hoses also messes with FPR and throw off your fueling as well.

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, Igrok said:

I rode to work the other morning and everything was fine. got home and changed clothes, went to ride to the park to play a little football with my son and when I started my VFR, it idled around 900 RPM for a half a minute, then went to normal idle, but the engine light is blinking 2 times then not, then 2 times... manual  says it's a faulty map sensor. I read a few threads where that was the case and my questions are:

1. do they just go bad like that??

2. is it a job I should tackle or let a shop do it? (on a scale of 1 to 10 for mechanical minded, I'm a 7-ish)

I'm not afraid to tackle it, but if it's worth paying a shop, I'm up for that as well. I've got some big trips planned for this summer and want the bike to be in tip top shape.

From what I have heard regarding a few American shops you would be far better off downloading a manual and looking yourself.

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Igrok said:

I'm doing just that Fink -- waiting for the weather to warm up. It's a little chilly in CO right now.

-8c here brrrr.   Has been down to -23c a few miles away. 

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, fink said:

-8c here brrrr.   Has been down to -23c a few miles away. 

Bloody hell, thats so cold it would freeze the nuts of a tractor!:unsure:

Archived