Newby finding my way!

Bluehawk

On 3/4/2021 at 2:12 AM, Cogswell said:

Looks good.  With ABS, it should have the rear shock preload adjuster mounted to the right rear passenger step.  Can't see it in the photo - maybe it's obscured by the angle.  If it's gone, I wonder what happened to it.   Anyway, the first place to look for US vs EURO would be the VIN tag on the frame.  It should say something about compliance with regulations in the market where sold.  The other would be the calibration of the speedo and temp indicators - Miles vs KM and deg F vs deg C.   Also, if the bike has HISS, I don't believe that was available in the US market. 

Thanks. Interesting. See my new reply below..or is it above?  Especially liked your HISS comment, as this suggests it is an interceptor/US version too, (as my Bird does have HISS as an example of british supply)... In fact, so what if it is, why am i even bothering? Just curious and nice to know i have a British Interceptor, i guess. Lol.

1 hour ago, Bluehawk said:

Honda MC VIN Number Structure (2).pdf 51.28 kB · 4 downloads

Hi all, hope the VIN sheet in PDF may help someone, in case you've never seen this before. (came from my local UK dealer)

If this helps:

My VIN starts JH2 so it's made in japan, but maybe was destined for the US market, but had a detour....with no VFR, no hiss, grey clutch and brake pots, suggesting its an Interceptor.

True, mine does have ABS, but does NOT have HISS - you don't hiss apparently according to Magneto in Miami - shame on you; i love getting hissed every now and then!

Private import perhaps from someone touring Blighty? From what I understand Euro insurance companies require immobilizers for motorcycles and North American don’t.

Cars down here all have it, yet theft still goes on. I rather do not have this additional layer of complication on a vintage motorcycle. Three men and a van it’s how bikes disappear here, then chop, chop - immobilizer wont prevent this....

Y

• Member Contributer

There are a number of potential clues if you were to take the fairings off and remove parts like the clocks and the headlights, but there is more information in the VIN than has so far been revealed.  My VIN page has some info:  https://www.vsource.org/VFR-RVF_files/BVINSystem.htm

It's the second section which tells us the market and the model of the bike, but to interpret it you would need to have some model-specific data (which I don't have, as I've never owned a 6th gen).  RC46 is the Model Number, and the next character is the one Honda uses to designate the market/spec.  "0" is traditionally for 49-state US, "1" is for California, "2" is for Canada, U is for Australia, and the other numbers and letters refer to other markets and (sometimes) whether the bike has ABS or not.

The silly add-on reflectors suggest to me that this is a US bike, but with ABS and statistically unlikely to be a California bike, so I'm guessing it would be maybe have a "3" after the RC46.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, JZH said:

There are a number of potential clues if you were to take the fairings off and remove parts like the clocks and the headlights, but there is more information in the VIN than has so far been revealed.  My VIN page has some info:  https://www.vsource.org/VFR-RVF_files/BVINSystem.htm

It's the second section which tells us the market and the model of the bike, but to interpret it you would need to have some model-specific data (which I don't have, as I've never owned a 6th gen).  RC46 is the Model Number, and the next character is the one Honda uses to designate the market/spec.  "0" is traditionally for 49-state US, "1" is for California, "2" is for Canada, U is for Australia, and the other numbers and letters refer to other markets and (sometimes) whether the bike has ABS or not.

The silly add-on reflectors suggest to me that this is a US bike, but with ABS and statistically unlikely to be a California bike, so I'm guessing it would be maybe have a "3" after the RC46.

Ciao,

JZH

Wow, that's a nice reference for VIN's, etc... but according to that my bike does not exist:computer-noworky:

It's a 1990 California bike with frame #000006 - shows the US starting at #000009 and CA starting at #000011

My engine number doesn't exist either...:sad:

Maybe it was a pre-production bike? I think it only had 1.3 miles on it after the dealer prepped it and checked it.......but that was 31 years ago. I do remember almost zero miles though...

• Member Contributer
On 3/6/2021 at 8:44 AM, Bluehawk said:

PS:

How do i get "both" bikes out in the country to take photos? Lol. Mum, who is 86, says one leg over each!....bless her cotton socks!

+1 on blessing Mum's cotton socks!

• 3 months later...

Hi again everyone!  PICTURES! Seeing as some of you asked to see both bikes, here they are...

Sorry it's been a while, but [not that anyone cares ] but have been reeaaally busy, running my business, keeping it afloat during Covid/lockdown, building my new shed, which developed into a new large 'man-cave' thanks to 'From Maine' giving me the idea to have more bikes later ....[Man-cave, aka: my wee home office, or shrine to my Blackbird... hehe - NO! she's not fully retired, but i'm preserving the miles 35k miles], ....

....and what else have i been doing? Designing my extensions for my wee home in Scotland and, looking after widowed Mum down in Wales.....every 6 weeks - no easy task (she's Italian and now 87, so you can only imagine the ordeal i have to go thru!! haha).

Pictures! Couldn't do what mum said and 'put a leg over each and ride both out to a nice spot to photo them', so its on the driveway...but gives you the idea, for now.

So far, since January this year when Dad passed away, I've been taking the Cat (car) down from Scotland to Wales which is a great blast - performance and handling in comfort with no back or bum ache! - but in a few weeks.....the first long journey on VFR, :wheel: (some 500 miles) and I can't wait! It should dry and sunny in August!! Yeeeaah!  :woohoo:

And finally, check out the round silver plate the Bird sits on in the man-cave, in the last 2 pics.  No need to struggle to turn it round . lol.

P1050999.JPG

P1050987.JPG

P1050995.JPG

P1050996.JPG

P1050998.JPG

Picz IMG_7572.JPG

Picz IMG_7580.JPG

• Member Contributer
On 3/9/2021 at 2:25 AM, RC1237V said:

Wow, that's a nice reference for VIN's, etc... but according to that my bike does not exist:computer-noworky:

It's a 1990 California bike with frame #000006 - shows the US starting at #000009 and CA starting at #000011

Maybe it was a pre-production bike? I think it only had 1.3 miles on it after the dealer prepped it and checked it.......but that was 31 years ago. I do remember almost zero miles though...

I dunno.  Those figures came from the American Honda microfiche supplied to all of their US dealers.  It is also published in the Honda Motorcycle Identification Guide (1959-1998). I'd be curious to hear what Honda said about this discrepancy!

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
On 3/8/2021 at 7:25 PM, RC1237V said:

Nice bikes and man-cave!!!

Was your bike originally manufactured for different country and imported?

I bought some MC19 CBR250R and MC22 CBR250RR in boxes and one of them had VINs and engine# that didn't exist. Fell into range for some other model (CBR400RR). Closer examination shows VIN and engine# had been modified. I suspect MC22 was originally stolen in Japan, dismantled and sold off as parts.

On 7/6/2021 at 8:32 PM, DannoXYZ said:

Nice bikes and man-cave!!!

Was your bike originally manufactured for different country and imported?

I bought some MC19 CBR250R and MC22 CBR250RR in boxes and one of them had VINs and engine# that didn't exist. Fell into range for some other model (CBR400RR). Closer examination shows VIN and engine# had been modified. I suspect MC22 was originally stolen in Japan, dismantled and sold off as parts.

Thanks man.  It all takes work and effort, but well worth it in the end. I made it properly, but then decided to get an extension for my office instead of using man-cave, which means....The Bird wins, big time! As she has her own little house! ha. Crazy, but i'll put the lawnmower in there so she doesn't get lonely.

Hard to say where it was destined, but it clearly is an Interceptor, not a UK VFR (the clues were: orange indicators, reflectors on the side, no VFR badging, etc), all of which i didn't know BEFORE i bought it. Doesnt change things. it works, was made in Japan by Honda, and that's what matters.

That's brave of you (daring or silly?). I couldnt do that. But hope it all works and you got it sorted. :) 

Archived