Newby finding my way!

Bluehawk

Hi, everyone! Just joined vfrd, so am getting used to content and finding my around here.

Am about to buy a 2009 reg, 6th gen, vfr800 vtec in candy red, with only 11,500 miles on it.

Will see when i can collect it and then when i can ride it, as am still on 'total lockdown' due to covid, here in sunny scotland!

Hope your all doing fine.

☺️

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Bluehawk said:

Hi, everyone! Just joined vfrd, so am getting used to content and finding my around here.

Am about to buy a 2009 reg, 6th gen, vfr800 vtec in candy red, with only 11,500 miles on it.

Will see when i can collect it and then when i can ride it, as am still on 'total lockdown' due to covid, here in sunny scotland!

Hope your all doing fine.

☺️

Welcome to the Board, you have a couple of interesting bikes already, and I think the VFR will be a great complement to them. I've ridden them all save the 1200, stable, neutral, forgiving. You could ride to Wales, have a crack at the roads there, then back home and, well not have a bad back. It really is an all rounder.

Of course we are all waiting for pictures.🙂

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the North Sea pal.

VFR's are pure dead brilliant! :beer:

On 2/5/2021 at 3:09 PM, TimC said:

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to VFRD!!  🙂 

On 2/5/2021 at 3:09 PM, TimC said:

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to VFRD!!  🙂 

Thnx so much.

At the time it was only a phone call deposit, so hadn’t seen it in the flesh.

Only pictures. Now I have!! Minor cosmetics where it fell over on gravel, but happy enuf. Paid in full. Officially mine, yeeaahhh!!

Too much snow to collect it, so have to wait a couple more weeks tho. Damn it. Patience, patience...

On 2/5/2021 at 3:19 PM, Cogswell said:

When you pick it up, would love to see a photo of it next to your Blackbird. 

Okdokes, will do. 😎  I saw someone post 2 candy reds, which was pretty cool, so a great idea. 

On 2/5/2021 at 4:37 PM, FromMaine said:

Welcome to the Board, you have a couple of interesting bikes already, and I think the VFR will be a great complement to them. I've ridden them all save the 1200, stable, neutral, forgiving. You could ride to Wales, have a crack at the roads there, then back home and, well not have a bad back. It really is an all rounder.

Of course we are all waiting for pictures.🙂

Hmmm, how do I reply to an individual post without having to quote their whole post, like now??

Also doing this on a tiny iPhone instead of a decent sized laptop... no space for knuckles! Haha 😂 

Anyway thnx!

You have a 550f from the 70’s? Great. I had, and miss my, 1978 cb 550 four k. Wish I had her today, boo hoo.

Funny you say about Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 I’m here at the moment! I have come here on my Blackbird many times, from Scotland and it is always a faaab ride.

The roads here in Wales are nice and twisty with a dual carriage way mix. Perfect for touring with decent scenery ( but Scotland wins, lol).

Now can’t wait to do it on the vfr, this is exactly the journey I got her for! The ‘bird’ is now semi retired. Haha 🤣 Polished and will stay that way. 

Pics to follow...

Thnx everyone for warm welcome. Cheers 🍻 

14 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Welcome to VFRD from across the North Sea pal.

VFR's are pure dead brilliant! :beer:

Thnx. They had better be!! Bought it now!  Haha

On 2/6/2021 at 12:40 AM, VifferJ said:

Welcome Bluehawk!

Thnx. Nice lights! Maybe one day I’ll progress to your newer model. It looks great. But is it progress really?? Or am I stirring a hornets nest with that question? Haha 🤣 

On 2/10/2021 at 1:49 AM, MaxSwell said:

Welcome to the asylum Bluehawk. 

Cheers! They let me out of one, so I could come play in another! 

No jacket required! 😱

• Member Contributer
On 2/10/2021 at 9:03 PM, Bluehawk said:

Hmmm, how do I reply to an individual post without having to quote their whole post, like now??

Also doing this on a tiny iPhone instead of a decent sized laptop... no space for knuckles! Haha 😂 

Anyway thnx!

You have a 550f from the 70’s? Great. I had, and miss my, 1978 cb 550 four k. Wish I had her today, boo hoo.

Funny you say about Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 I’m here at the moment! I have come here on my Blackbird many times, from Scotland and it is always a faaab ride.

The roads here in Wales are nice and twisty with a dual carriage way mix. Perfect for touring with decent scenery ( but Scotland wins, lol).

Now can’t wait to do it on the vfr, this is exactly the journey I got her for! The ‘bird’ is now semi retired. Haha 🤣 Polished and will stay that way. 

Pics to follow...

Thnx everyone for warm welcome. Cheers 🍻 

Hi Bluehawk:

Yes, I have a 1977 550, It was the first motorcycle my daughter ever rode on, so I'm not allowed to sell it🙂 Nor my VF1100 Sabre she went cross country on. 

I lived in England for 8 months from Oct. 2104 till the end of May 2015 in Falmouth. The ship I was working on was going to be drydocked during that time so while fueling up in Gibraltar, fingers crossed I bought a 1991 VFR on Ebay. The owner turned out to be a stand up guy and even delivered the bike for gas money.

The first week was figuring out registration, insurance etc.. Of the 30 weekendends I had off, I spent 29 of them on the bike exploring. Lands End in the west, London for the Motorcycle Show, Wales a number of times, Salisbury for the Cathedral, Stonehenge, Penzance etc. I did try to make it to Scotland twice, but both times got past Manchester only to head south again. I live in a place that it can and will snow 7 months of the year, so I'm not afaraid of the cold, but I do have a healhy respect for black ice and that stuff called "grit" that you put on your roads. Neither contribute to a motorcycles stability.🙃

A few pics, all from Wales.

1. Snowdonia NP over Easter weekend

2. Transporter Bridge, Newport

3. Road in Northern Wales

c5529edc580ba0c96828a0cc1bbdcc71 (1).jpg

927909793_DSCF23751.jpg

1655001413_DSCF24611.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 12:22 PM, FromMaine said:

Hi Bluehawk:

Yes, I have a 1977 550, It was the first motorcycle my daughter ever rode on, so I'm not allowed to sell it🙂 Nor my VF1100 Sabre she went cross country on. 

I lived in England for 8 months from Oct. 2104 till the end of May 2015 in Falmouth. The ship I was working on was going to be drydocked during that time so while fueling up in Gibraltar, fingers crossed I bought a 1991 VFR on Ebay. The owner turned out to be a stand up guy and even delivered the bike for gas money.

The first week was figuring out registration, insurance etc.. Of the 30 weekendends I had off, I spent 29 of them on the bike exploring. Lands End in the west, London for the Motorcycle Show, Wales a number of times, Salisbury for the Cathedral, Stonehenge, Penzance etc. I did try to make it to Scotland twice, but both times got past Manchester only to head south again. I live in a place that it can and will snow 7 months of the year, so I'm not afaraid of the cold, but I do have a healhy respect for black ice and that stuff called "grit" that you put on your roads. Neither contribute to a motorcycles stability.🙃

A few pics, all from Wales.

1. Snowdonia NP over Easter weekend

2. Transporter Bridge, Newport

3. Road in Northern Wales

c5529edc580ba0c96828a0cc1bbdcc71 (1).jpg

927909793_DSCF23751.jpg

1655001413_DSCF24611.jpg

Great photos WSR!  I bet they bring back fab memories of that special time. Wales ids great for twisty roads. Thanks so much for sharing. Lovely rare machine too :) Sell daughter and keep bike or sell bike and keep daughter?? funny options...hmmmm hard one that! lol. Only kidding!  Buuut Waaait! what's your mini profile pic?? If those are yours, get them out the snow for goodness sakes! lol. there's a garage right in front, dump them in there. You said it snows a lot in Maine. haha. I'm from Hampshire, England (down the south) now living here in scotland, and its only snowed for 2 weeks or so in total, over the last 2 months, and its March already soon - Glorious sunny days, atm, mind you, i have known it snow here in April, so best keep quiet!! I collect my 6th Gen Vfr on 1st March 😉😉😉 Dont need more gear, but decided with covid lockdown, to treat myself to new leather jeans, jacket and gloves, and decent waterproofs at last. Ha. Another lid might follow of course...

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Bluehawk said:

Great photos WSR!  I bet they bring back fab memories of that special time. Wales ids great for twisty roads. Thanks so much for sharing. Lovely rare machine too 🙂 Sell daughter and keep bike or sell bike and keep daughter?? funny options...hmmmm hard one that! lol. Only kidding!  Buuut Waaait! what's your mini profile pic?? If those are yours, get them out the snow for goodness sakes! lol. there's a garage right in front, dump them in there. You said it snows a lot in Maine. haha. I'm from Hampshire, England (down the south) now living here in scotland, and its only snowed for 2 weeks or so in total, over the last 2 months, and its March already soon - Glorious sunny days, atm, mind you, i have known it snow here in April, so best keep quiet!! I collect my 6th Gen Vfr on 1st March 😉😉😉 Dont need more gear, but decided with covid lockdown, to treat myself to new leather jeans, jacket and gloves, and decent waterproofs at last. Ha. Another lid might follow of course...

Wales is a great place to be on a motorcycle, thouroughly loved the place. Sold that bike, kicked myself and bought another on this side of the pond

Kept bike and daughter🙂

Regarding my profile pic. At that point I had 12 motorcycles, 2 scooters, a large tool chest, Portable Generator, and if I poked around probaly a Partridge in a Pear Tree in the corner. At 24' X 12' the place was stuffed. It was late April so I pulled a few bikes so I could replace the wiring harness on my V65 Sabre. There was no snow in the forcast and in the low 30's (1C) so no problem. Of course it snowed that night, because it just randomly snows here. Last May 10th I was awoken at 6 am by what suspiciously sounded like a snow plow. A quick look outside showed 6" of the stuff on the ground. We don't really have weather presenters here, we have a weather Dart Board, because its about as accurate.👍

First pic is 9 of my bikes, 3 more still in the garage with a couple of Scooters, second getting ready to put tires on my 4th Gen.

Some of my bikes, there are 3 more and a few Scooters in the Garage, and a pic of the inside getting ready to put tires on my 4th Gen.

FromMaine

DSCF2850.JPG

0223171513_20[1].jpg

• Member Contributer
On 2/23/2021 at 10:48 AM, FromMaine said:

Wales is a great place to be on a motorcycle, thouroughly loved the place. Sold that bike, kicked myself and bought another on this side of the pond

Kept bike and daughter🙂

Regarding my profile pic. At that point I had 12 motorcycles, 2 scooters, a large tool chest, Portable Generator, and if I poked around probaly a Partridge in a Pear Tree in the corner. At 24' X 12' the place was stuffed. It was late April so I pulled a few bikes so I could replace the wiring harness on my V65 Sabre. There was no snow in the forcast and in the low 30's (1C) so no problem. Of course it snowed that night, because it just randomly snows here. Last May 10th I was awoken at 6 am by what suspiciously sounded like a snow plow. A quick look outside showed 6" of the stuff on the ground. We don't really have weather presenters here, we have a weather Dart Board, because its about as accurate.👍

First pic is 9 of my bikes, 3 more still in the garage with a couple of Scooters, second getting ready to put tires on my 4th Gen.

Some of my bikes, there are 3 more and a few Scooters in the Garage, and a pic of the inside getting ready to put tires on my 4th Gen.

FromMaine

DSCF2850.JPG

0223171513_20[1].jpg

Definitely a picture perfect example of MBD (Muliple Bike Disorder). Congrats!

Fabulous tales, fabulous arrangement, fab pics 😄 👌 You thinking of opening a shop? lol.

Without hesitation, my eyes were immediately drawn to the H-750-4(k?) Pure classic. Very nice chum. Big grinn! :)

I agree MBD - love it....I feel depressed with my meager 2! Ha.

If anyone is interested....yep! I collected her on the first. A glorious, dry, clean, sunny, calm, no breeze or wind day. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect day! Of course had to travel some 180 miles from where i live - it was Cumbria, in the 'Lake District', England. Nice and countryfied, undulating, twisty roads, up and over them there hills, to get the feel of her. Fab! 😎 Mind you, this was my first ever Vfr ride. So tbh, it was that v4 thump-thump that i hadn't quite expected to be so pronounced - being used to super smooth inline 4's with balancing shafts - which you could fall asleep on! So the V4 was deffo noisy enough to keep me awake! But, so agile and nimble. so light, I could chuck it around those bends so much easier than my big Bird! Yes, i know they're not the same, but i'm just relating my surprise at the big difference. Of course i had fun and liked it. Looking forward to taking it to see mum.....in south wales! Ha. a 470 or so mile journey one way , on nice 'Welsh' twisty roads (boring straight motorway for 250 miles tho).  OK, as a teaser, only these 2 pics of my gen 6.....

It was supplied in 2009 by a English Honda dealer, but built/stamped 2007. The more i look at photos (from the US), the more i think this was destined for the US market (the grey wheels instead of gold, for example, not saying VFR on the side). Can anyone suggest how i can tell if it's European or American?? Any clues?? Cheers

7e819c00b81f4c9ebbc360da8c65639e.jpg

IMG_7264 - Copy.JPG

Oh, by the way, yep, cos of covid and lockdown, i decided to treat myself to some new gear and bought wax jacket and leather jeans and gloves to compliment the new vfr? Well, i "pushed the boat out" and yes, I did buy a new lid too! Well, being forced by the government to stay indoors HAS to have one positive response... welcome Shoei Neotec II black and hi-vis. Ordered mail-order (arrived next day) saved over one third off the full price... I have several helmets, but i truly have a Shoei head; and, straight out the box, fitted like a second skin - abs perfect! Far more quiet than my silly HJC RPHA flip which i like (but leaks in the rain! - o yes, it does inside the visor!), and i'm tempted to say even quieter than my full-face Shoei X1000 Joust (but that doesn't have chin guard and chunky padded neck guards, being older) and i haven't had a true side by side ride test yet. I think i'm gonna enjoy the rest of this year. I hope to even go back to work at the end of April, if lockdown lifts... (????)

Sincere regrets to the guy who lost his job last year (white vfr in recent gallery). Keep going bro, be strong!

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Bluehawk said:

If anyone is interested....yep! I collected her on the first. A glorious, dry, clean, sunny, calm, no breeze or wind day. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect day! Of course had to travel some 180 miles from where i live - it was Cumbria, in the 'Lake District', England. Nice and countryfied, undulating, twisty roads, up and over them there hills, to get the feel of her. Fab! 😎 Mind you, this was my first ever Vfr ride. So tbh, it was that v4 thump-thump that i hadn't quite expected to be so pronounced - being used to super smooth inline 4's with balancing shafts - which you could fall asleep on! So the V4 was deffo noisy enough to keep me awake! But, so agile and nimble. so light, I could chuck it around those bends so much easier than my big Bird! Yes, i know they're not the same, but i'm just relating my surprise at the big difference. Of course i had fun and liked it. Looking forward to taking it to see mum.....in south wales! Ha. a 470 or so mile journey one way , on nice 'Welsh' twisty roads (boring straight motorway for 250 miles tho).  OK, as a teaser, only these 2 pics of my gen 6.....

It was supplied in 2009 by a English Honda dealer, but built/stamped 2007. The more i look at photos (from the US), the more i think this was destined for the US market (the grey wheels instead of gold, for example, not saying VFR on the side). Can anyone suggest how i can tell if it's European or American?? Any clues?? Cheers

7e819c00b81f4c9ebbc360da8c65639e.jpg

IMG_7264 - Copy.JPG

Looks good.  With ABS, it should have the rear shock preload adjuster mounted to the right rear passenger step.  Can't see it in the photo - maybe it's obscured by the angle.  If it's gone, I wonder what happened to it.   Anyway, the first place to look for US vs EURO would be the VIN tag on the frame.  It should say something about compliance with regulations in the market where sold.  The other would be the calibration of the speedo and temp indicators - Miles vs KM and deg F vs deg C.   Also, if the bike has HISS, I don't believe that was available in the US market. 

Honda MC VIN Number Structure (2).pdf

Hi all, hope the VIN sheet in PDF may help someone, in case you've never seen this before. (came from my local UK dealer)

If this helps:

My VIN starts JH2 so it's made in japan, but maybe was destined for the US market, but had a detour....with no VFR, no hiss, grey clutch and brake pots, suggesting its an Interceptor.

True, mine does have ABS, but does NOT have HISS - you don't hiss apparently according to Magneto in Miami - shame on you; i love getting hissed every now and then!

No regs to speak of, to give the market away, only GWAR tyre pressure advice i think it said.

The rear shock was changed some years a go to £300 HAGON ring type, so there's no adjuster.

Temp is in Fahrenheit, and clock is Miles. [ interesting it doesn't say oC. And we want miles in the UK anyway, instead of km]

Honda main dealer has said: 'If i put your registration number in to the honda system, nothing comes up. I would check directly with Honda but their lines are down again!? If i put VIN in honda system comes up as VFR 800A7 interceptor - american i think. [He thinks?? Even i have heard of Interceptor, and i dont work for honda? 😏All very confusing.  I will contact Honda on Monday.

Silver clutch and brake chambers, (instead of black ones) - we have an older one in the workshop and that has silver, and when you google the part number it comes up as silver also.

So either they are the right parts or perhaps they have been replaced with parts from a previous model? (I will confirm if I can).

Because the side panel letters 'VFR' are very expensive, when panels are repainted, owners don't always put them on again. [The left panel has been repainted only, i know that. But they would leave the right side untouched i'm sure. Why take the VFR off? I wouldn't].

Seems like i may have a British interceptor!? We shall see...

Thanks for your interest guys.

It stops me working and building more of my man-cave! lol.  Off to Wales now to see mum .... 400 miles or so, by car - maybe next month i'll take the VFR.... that's what i bought it for, after all.

PS:

How do i get "both" bikes out in the country to take photos? Lol. Mum, who is 86, says one leg over each!....bless her cotton socks!

Archived