any preferences on 1998 vfr 800 Fi oil filer

lawnmowerman

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, HispanicSlammer said:

I bought a scott  stainless steel mesh filter for my 98 vfr 18 years ago and still used it for my 2010 vfr1200.  It is good for 35 microns, I have had to replace the gasket only twice. and it has a magnetic prefilter. I think I paid 80$ for it and its still in great shape. The outter part has some road gunk on it and some marks from a wrench its not as pretty as it once was but still an awesome filter. Its a bit messy cleaning it during oil changes but so? 

https://www.scottsonline.com/Product_Purchase2.php?Bike_ID=5513&BI_ID=144104

Miguel,

For having it that long you've definitely recouped your money.    Do find much magnetic debris when you clean it?  The capacity to catch that seems like a real plus. 

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Sp00ks said:

While we are on the oil filter topic, what is everyone using for oil? A full synthetic? Suggestions? 

The more you research oil the more you realize any of it will meet or
exceed your mile expectations... there is not one oil in the 300,000
mileage club... there are 30 40 50 grade oils... there are synthetic
and mineral oils... the only difference is how much HP is wasted on
unnecessary oil drag???

full-45634-35309-oiltubeviscositytest.jp

Understanding synthetics means more refining to remove less desirable
elements from crude until what’s left is mostly higher-performing
molecular structures. Waxy stuff had to go because it made oil congeal
at winter temperatures. Aromatics had to go because they lost
viscosity too rapidly when hot. Unsaturates had to go because they
were vulnerable to heat-driven gumming and sludging. And so on.

full-45634-36930-mineraloil1.jpg

full-45634-36931-synthetic_vs_mineraloil

What is 100% true for all the synthetics are uniform sized molecules
that don't exists naturally... so armed with that knowledge you can
shop for the best synthetic price because no matter what brand of
uniform molecules we choose they will meet or exceed our mileage
expectations...

full-45634-35374-synthetic_vs_mineraloil

• Member Contributer

11 hours ago, Sp00ks said:

While we are on the oil filter topic, what is everyone using for oil? A full synthetic? Suggestions? 

Here's some good articles on moto oil that originated at Sport Rider before they were assimilated by Cycle World.

Oils Well that Ends Well, part 1

Oils Well that Ends Well, part 2

uc?export=download&id=1TVi9BmC7advIjkyKz

• Forum CEO
14 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Miguel,

For having it that long you've definitely recouped your money.    Do find much magnetic debris when you clean it?  The capacity to catch that seems like a real plus. 

Yes a small bit of powder I have to wipe off the magnet, scott is rated at 35 microns absolute, honda oem is 20 microns 70% so its a bit of a wash. I however have done 20 or 30 changes on the same filter, its been cleaned in kerosene and dish soap, back flowed hot water its much better oil flow then a paper filter, rated to 600f degrees, no paper filter is rated for that since it is glued in while the scott is welded. 

• Member Contributer
On 1/30/2021 at 4:56 PM, DannoXYZ said:

Trick is to know model/part# of filter you're looking for. Such as Amazon - Mobil-1 M1-108 or Amazon - Mobil-1 M1-110 or Amazon - Purolator PL14612 or Amazon - Bosch 3300 filter. Amazon - Baldwin B7285 is good because it's RED to match bike! They make filters for Amsoil. Don't search for "1998 VFR oil filter" because Amazon only list item they've tested to fit as compatible.

Most of time, they haven't tested anything and it will find nothing. If you search for "H4 bulb" it will find 1000+ hits. But if you narrow it down to "fits 1998 VFR800" it will show nothing is compatible because Amazon hasn't physically put that particular bulb into VFR800 and confirms it works. Rather than say "not compatible", they really should list 3rd category of "untested".

The Purolator short is PL14610, and the long is PL14612 - I buy a few of each as they fit 4 of my 6 bikes, and my son's Civic.......

• 3 weeks later...

Archived