any preferences on 1998 vfr 800 Fi oil filer

lawnmowerman

• Member Contributer

just wondering if there is any  suggested oil filter and why , Im in need of a oil change i am trying to stay away from k&n oil filter

• Member Contributer

I've read numerous oil-filter studies over the years and have cut a few filters to verify. I agree with them mostly. Avoid paper filter elements and cardboard end-caps. A seal on anti-drainback and bypass valve is nice to have. I've used following:

Honda OEM filter (20 different part#)

PurePro PH7028

Mobil MO4612

Mahle OC575

• Member Contributer

Purolator One for Honda cars are what I use on the 90, and 93 VFR750, the VFR1200, and the RC51 - they make a long and a short. Some bikes will only fit the short...

https://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterStudy.html

Pure One
PL14610
$6 50*.39*2.36 92 Silicon Silicon A A This is how an oil filter should be made. The anti-drainback valve is double the thickness of any other here, and obviously seals very well. The media is the best available, and there's a lot of it. The bypass valve is made from a laser-cut piece of stainless steel, and just can't bind or jam.

My last several oil changes on my old 6th gen, I used either the Mobil 1 or Purolator One almost exclusively.  These are only a few bucks more than the cheaper filters, and the better quality is absolutely worth it.

• Member Contributer

Mobil1, preference #110(longer) but #108(oem length) is fine, changed @ approx. 10k km or every other 5K km oil service. 

• Member Contributer

I'm also using Pure1's, have been fine.  I also have three Dimple "Black Hole" magnets on the filter to trap magnetic swarf that my magnetic drain plug tells me circulates through these bike's systems. They're crazy strong for their size and swap from filter to filter. They never move a mm between changes.  Maybe more important than the choice of filter other than staying away from K&N.

• Member Contributer

I continue to employ a K&N 303 filter on Mr.RC45 and I have used OEM and High Flow with equal satisfaction...

KN303a.jpg

K&NOilFilter4.JPG

Honda OEM...

HondaOEMFiltech1.jpg

• Member Contributer
40 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

Maybe more important than the choice of filter other than staying away from K&N.

Mercy Cogs... there is no good reason to warn against K&N...

• Member Contributer

39 minutes ago, BusyLittleShop said:

BLS.. PLEASE, lets not confuse people. We DON'T want people to be using the K&N with the spot welded hex nut.

AND.......If K&N continue to produce this dangerous rubbish why bother to support them at all when there are so many other good alternatives!

Couldn't care if K&N were Gold Plated, I'd never buy one, hex nut or not.

• Member Contributer

There's reason K&N filters are banned by most racing orgs and many TDPs (and more soon ). I was at trackday at Thunderhill where K&N blew going into T14. Crash collected 5 other bikes. Totaled very nice Aprilia RSV4. One guy broke both wrists.

It used to be thought it was user-error that was causing filter to fail. K&N was blaming end-user. But they were just accelerating the failure sooner by using nut to tighten filter.

Real issue is welding on such thin disposable weak metal causes precipitation of carbide particles in HAZ. This causes embrittlement and lowers ductility of metal. It's is more fragile and crack-prone.

What happens with each ride is you have heat cycles along with low/high pressure cycling. This initiates cracks in HAZ which eventually meet and filter blows.

Obviously each filter moves along SN curve (strain/stress cycles)  at different rates. Bikes with higher daily and track usage obviously will have quicker failures.

• Member Contributer

Probably a very low failure rate, but when you sell half a million filters a year...

I used to buy them, but when I started going to the track, and found out about the failures I switched. It only takes an extra second or two to grab my fitted oil filter socket along with my drain bolt socket, so not much savings just for the nut - but some inherent risk....

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Sp00ks said:

Where are you guys buying your filters. I didn't see much on Amazon or Revzilla. Typically just K&N. 

AutoZone, Walmart, Advance Auto Parts.......

Pure One or Bosch based on the Calsi data.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Sp00ks said:

Where are you guys buying your filters. I didn't see much on Amazon or Revzilla. Typically just K&N. 

Trick is to know model/part# of filter you're looking for. Such as Amazon - Mobil-1 M1-108 or Amazon - Mobil-1 M1-110 or Amazon - Purolator PL14612 or Amazon - Bosch 3300 filter. Amazon - Baldwin B7285 is good because it's RED to match bike! They make filters for Amsoil. Don't search for "1998 VFR oil filter" because Amazon only list item they've tested to fit as compatible.

Most of time, they haven't tested anything and it will find nothing. If you search for "H4 bulb" it will find 1000+ hits. But if you narrow it down to "fits 1998 VFR800" it will show nothing is compatible because Amazon hasn't physically put that particular bulb into VFR800 and confirms it works. Rather than say "not compatible", they really should list 3rd category of "untested".

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, BusyLittleShop said:

I unfortunately personally know two people who had one fail, both cracking around the nut and soaking their rear tire going down the road (one was on a 5th gen).  Both were extremely lucky.  There was also the travel thread on here by Olive some years ago (no longer active here) where it failed at the nut and did the same thing.  I can recall a couple of others but don't recall the members that posted.  For the record I do not know how they were installed or if they were damaged prior to install.  If using one I would suggest not using the nut to tighten it - hand tighten only.   I don't ever recall any anecdotal reports about filters without nuts experiencing that kind of failure.  I'm not saying they all fail, however the risks do seem elevated relative to non-nut filters. 

• Member Contributer
17 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

If using one I would suggest not using the nut to tighten it - hand tighten only.

Hi Cogs. Wouldn't even suggest using a K&N with the nut, they have failed with people who haven't used the nut to tighten.

As DannoXYZ rightfully mentions, the welding process to such thin metal causes the weakness, its just never worth the risk, avoid these filters like the plague or Covid!

• Member Contributer

thanks for all the info, K&N is out, some of your replies with filter numbers were great think im  going to go with Mobil 1 or Purolator

58 minutes ago, DannoXYZ said:

Trick is to know model/part# of filter you're looking for. Such as Amazon - Mobil-1 M1-108 or Amazon - Mobil-1 M1-110 or Amazon - Purolator PL14612 or Amazon - Bosch 3300 filter. Amazon - Baldwin B7285 is good because it's RED to match bike! They make filters for Amsoil. Don't search for "1998 VFR oil filter" because Amazon only list item they've tested to fit as compatible.

Most of time, they haven't tested anything and it will find nothing. If you search for "H4 bulb" it will find 1000+ hits. But if you narrow it down to "fits 1998 VFR800" it will show nothing is compatible because Amazon hasn't physically put that particular bulb into VFR800 and confirms it works. Rather than say "not compatible", they really should list 3rd category of "untested".

1 hour ago, DannoXYZ said:

Great thank you. I don't buy many vehicle parts from Amazon. 

• Member Contributer
52 minutes ago, Grum said:

Hi Cogs. Wouldn't even suggest using a K&N with the nut, they have failed with people who haven't used the nut to tighten.

As DannoXYZ rightfully mentions, the welding process to such thin metal causes the weakness, its just never worth the risk, avoid these filters like the plague or Covid!

And don't forget that they had a world wide recall on these filters a couple years ago a didn't bother to tell their Overseas reps about it 

• Member Contributer
10 minutes ago, Sp00ks said:

While we are on the oil filter topic, what is everyone using for oil? A full synthetic? Suggestions? 

Oh no, please, not another oil debate!!!!

Just do a sesrch you'll find tonnes of info.

1 minute ago, Grum said:

Oh no, please, not another oil debate!!!!

Just do a sesrch you'll find tones of info.

LOL, Ok. Sorry. 

We have a guy at the office that we troll about Oil and Tires. He's a good sport about it but I understand what your saying. Maybe I can delete my post. 

• Forum CEO

I bought a scott  stainless steel mesh filter for my 98 vfr 18 years ago and still used it for my 2010 vfr1200.  It is good for 35 microns, I have had to replace the gasket only twice. and it has a magnetic prefilter. I think I paid 80$ for it and its still in great shape. The outter part has some road gunk on it and some marks from a wrench its not as pretty as it once was but still an awesome filter. Its a bit messy cleaning it during oil changes but so? 

https://www.scottsonline.com/Product_Purchase2.php?Bike_ID=5513&BI_ID=144104

Archived