Highway 1 FUBAR'd again!

RC1237V

• Member Contributer

I guess when you build a highway perched on the cliffs of the Pacific Ocean, this is gonna happen - alot! This is from 7am this morning....not my pic.

Es6NYfcW8AYgsGK.jpeg.jpg

• Member Contributer

wow...

Can't believe there's no barricades and warning signs up!!! Someone's gonna drive into ocean and sue!!!

10 hours ago, mello dude said:

Pity the sport rider hauling good from around the corner on the far side!

Throttle out!😀

• Member Contributer

Incredible! With all our modern technologies, if Mother Nature does things on a monumental scale, there's not much we can do to resist.

PCH.

Pacific Coast Highway.

Or Perpetual Construction Highway.

They should probably just give up, but it's an awesome ride and a huge tourist attraction that pulls in locals too.

I'm sure they are already planning the repairs.

• Member Contributer
On 1/30/2021 at 12:13 PM, St. Stephen said:

A little further south, in 2017, the whole side of a mountain slid into the ocean, burying Rt. 1:

BigSur1_May20SlideDES.jpg

Took about 14-months to repair that one. 
Big-sur-Landslide-road-closure-New-road-

• Member Contributer

Yeah, major slide. Interesting that there are real slide experts in CA, working for CalTrans. They actually saw the signs prior to this event, closed off the highway, no one was hurt. and rebuilt it very quickly (relatively speaking).

RC1237V's title is a reference to this previous event. The cool thing is that for quite a while you had to climb up and over the coastal range on Nacimiento-Fergusson Road, tight, technical, sheer drops, then down through the woods to the interior valley. Fun ride!

That road, exactly a year ago today:

IMG_5415.JPG

We went last June and there were still a few fire trucks around from the big fires. I think it was still smoldering inland in the mountains.

The way this looks they will have to build a bridge. Or route a section of road inland some, if that is possible.

On 1/29/2021 at 7:12 PM, DannoXYZ said:

wow...

Can't believe there's no barricades and warning signs up!!! Someone's gonna drive into ocean and sue!!!

my guesses are either the picture was taken immediately after or the barricades and warning signs aren't visible (if they were visible in the photo, IMO they would be too close to the hazard to be effective).  of course, you'll always have a couple of people drive around barricades and warnings, get stuck or crash or whatever, and sue anyway...  

4 hours ago, Samuelx said:

my guesses are either the picture was taken immediately after or the barricades and warning signs aren't visible (if they were visible in the photo, IMO they would be too close to the hazard to be effective).  of course, you'll always have a couple of people drive around barricades and warnings, get stuck or crash or whatever, and sue anyway...  

My guess would be that they have the road blocked off at the intersections on either side of the slide with detours posted. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 2/3/2021 at 12:28 PM, RustyA said:

My guess would be that they have the road blocked off at the intersections on either side of the slide with detours posted. 

Going south, you would have turn around and backtrack over 43 miles of twisty, winding road to get anywhere near the first side road. Then it would be 122 miles of mostly twisting, winding road to loop around to the other side of the slide. 

The joys of highway 1.....

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

What no updates? Road ia open for now with some 1 way traffic stops. Laguna Seca road trip coming up for some friends going to AMA races in July. 

There you go again Moriarity. Hitting me with those negative vibes. It's gonna be a mother beautiful bridge. (Movie quote) Donald Sutherland to Don Rickles. Haha

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, VFR Capt.Bob said:

What no updates? Road ia open for now with some 1 way traffic stops. Laguna Seca road trip coming up for some friends going to AMA races in July. 

There you go again Moriarity. Hitting me with those negative vibes. It's gonna be a mother beautiful bridge. (Movie quote) Donald Sutherland to Don Rickles. Haha

Haha, like the quote Captain.

For what it's worth, a few hundred miles north, this week I rode Rt. 36 for the first time since the endless construction around Bridgeville started a few years ago. Still some construction delays but it is the awesome 36 I remember!

Rt. 1 to Leggett same trip:

3C896FB7-B5EB-44D6-A7C4-03D2184795F5.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Rode 36 in 2019 and there was some nasty single track stuff going over a pass (can't recall exactly where).  Is that all done now? 

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Rode 36 in 2019 and there was some nasty single track stuff going over a pass (can't recall exactly where).  Is that all done now? 

Cogs, I had to stop for a construction flagman four times heading west from the Rt. 3 intersection to Fortuna/101, although nothing longer than ~4 minutes. There was still one big slide that they were working on, might be what you are thinking of. Single lane, still dirt. The water truck had just gone over it before my line of vehicles, and it was greasy as hell, and coated the bike! But no major delays.

Here's a Rt. 3 pic about two hours prior:

A824BC4B-51C3-4A64-BBFB-25ADADFA8DE0.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Well you guys have done it now. I was planning on missing the Laguna Seca trip.

Been working nonstop in a refinery the last month or so. Those pictures and my own memories of the many pilgrimages to Laguna Seca and one roadtrip well north of there on "those roads" are making my nipples hard in a Viking sort of way. 

What I will do is join my friends on their ride to the races. Maybe camp at the track one night then head out on my own ride the next day.

Archived