Double checking - 4th Gen rear axle assembly

• Member Contributer

I'm 99% sure that how I've got it is correct (in addition to that's how it came apart) but this VFR is new to me and you never know who's been in there before you.

I'm going through the rear axle and chain adjuster and when I took everything apart there was a washer between the sprocket drive unit and the eccentric chain adjuster assembly.  I laid everything out in order and labeled them.

I was checking the Clymer manual that I got with the bike for the axle nut torque and the diagram does not show this washer.  I checked another online (Partzilla) diagram and it does indicate this washer or "collar" as they call it.   I just wanted to check with the group here before I put everything back together.

Part # for the "collar" or washer in in the second diagram (# 9) is 42623-MT4-000

Thanks for any guidance!

Khibbs

Clymer_Diagram.jpg

Partzilla_Diagram.jpg

• Member Contributer

You can Download the Honda Service manual here:

Pages 13-3 and 13-4 in the Honda Service manual will show the rear axle. 

I think that it is item 14 in your Clymer manual, labeled "dust seal"

• Member Contributer

The collar you are dealing with spaces the splined damper drive #6 away from the bearing block.  It fits in the dust seal #9 and contacts the radial bearing #28.  Picture #s refer to the first page lower diagram.

I just finished doing some maintenance on my rear axle a few weeks back, so this is still fresh in my mind. 

• Member Contributer

Also, the Clymer manual for the VFR750 isn't the most accurate, from what I've heard...

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, JZH said:

Also, the Clymer manual for the VFR750 isn't the most accurate, from what I've heard...

Ciao,

JZH

I would have to agree with that.

This past Spring I serviced the swingarm on my 97 and I was bouncing from my Clymers, to my Honda Service Manual and finally the Board here for clear answers.

DSCF3413.JPG

Archived