86 VFR750 bar end weights

FromMaine

• Member Contributer

I'm starting to put together parts for my 86 VFR750, at 15F (-9.5C) even with heaters its a bit to cold to work in the Garage, which is not insulated, so I want to have what I need on hand when it does get warmer.

One of these projects was to clean up the mirrors, levers, bar ends and the MC's. So I took off one of the bar ends and was surprised to see that the bar end itself was threaded. A quick mic and thread gauge check showed a 18 X 1mm thread. I've worked on boats and ships made in Europe for 40+ years, so I do everything metric, but I can't recall running into this size/thread pitch before. Nor can I find any after market replacements that have this same design. A look online has referenced this as an obscure JIS thing.

The OEM ones are a hefty 7 oz. my experience on my 87 says they could  be heavier. way heavier.

Has anyone here  swapped out theirs?

0128211954.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have never seen any replacements made to thread to the bar like OEM.  Are yours too damaged or are you looking to replace for looks or less/more weight?

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

I have never seen any replacements made to thread to the bar like OEM.  Are yours too damaged or are you looking to replace for looks or less/more weight?

Hi: Was looking at adding more weight, My experience on my 87 is that my hands were pretty much numb always. I think the skinny forks and less than robust frame may be a factor in that. 

I am curious though why Honda went through the huge expense of machining these and the clip ons when they could have bought something off the shelf for a fraction of the cost.

The weights are cosmetically challenged, but functional, I can certainly clean them up.

• Member Contributer

Well, you never know, less weight could change the frequency too.   I have a couple 86 VFRs with F2 bars and some light aluminum weights with no issues.  But everyone's hands are different.

You could find some damaged VFR weights and mod them for something to bolt on to.  Shorten them and tap a hole.  Just a thought.

• Member Contributer

Looks like those can be salvaged with some clean up.

To increase weight, I would tap inside for 6x1mm threads.

Then spin some fishing-weights on lathe, maybe 17x50mm slug?

Bolt it to inside of existing weights, then install whole ensemble.

I've also seen people cast their own lead weights into handlebars.

Archived