Seat cowl lug repair

Dab08

Morning all!

I have just ordered and received a seat cowl for my 2000 VFR, and the lugs have snapped off during shipping.

Has anyone else had this problem and managed to fix it? Before's and afters would be great and products you used too.

I was hoping to fit it, but it’s obviously too loose and I worry it’ll fly off as soon as I go down my road!

Thanks all!

• Member Contributer
56 minutes ago, Dab08 said:

Morning all!

I have just ordered and received a seat cowl for my 2000 VFR, and the lugs have snapped off during shipping.

Has anyone else had this problem and managed to fix it? Before's and afters would be great and products you used too.

I was hoping to fit it, but it’s obviously too loose and I worry it’ll fly off as soon as I go down my road!

Thanks all!

Plastifix.  Lots of members have repaired fairings with it with good success.   Watch the instructional videos on their website to see how to use it. 

https://www.polyvance.com/PlastiFix-Kits-1/2503/

• Member Contributer

If you still have the lug, I would glue it back with ABS glue and then use something like Plastifix to reinforce the joint. The bodywork is made of ABS and ABS glue is just ABS dissolved in a solvent.

• Member Contributer

I would see if you can’t get a replacement as the fault surely lies in the packing of the cowl. 

• Member Contributer

I use Permatex Plastic Epoxy for these kinds of repairs.  It is tough and can be filed, sanded, painted.  I would add some kind of second layer to reinforce it on either side of the crack, after you have initially "glued" the tab in place.

Archived