2021 Spring Memorial Ride May 20-23

Aaron.JPG.583cd0e5dd67469d148242d5ead5c199.JPG

The Spring Memorial Ride is happening May 20 - 23 in Franklin, NC.  The details are a little slow due to a global pandemic thing but I'll update as they become available. The Microtel will be our home base unless they run us off. I just wanted to get the dates out for those of you who actually plan ahead. I might even ride a VFR this year!

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, TimC said:

Anyone else planning to attend the spring ride?  I'm hoping to go myself, though it won't be on a VFR.

There is a group of twenty or so who show up whenever there is a ride. A lot of them don't have VFR's any longer and so are not on VFRD much. Unfortunately, there's a lot more planning that goes on on that damn social media site we all hate. I've been trying to keep plugging the event both places to catch as many as we can. So many have moved on and its left the groups much smaller. Its still a great crowd as always, just smaller. The cops don't show up like they used to either.😀

Love to make it, weather is sketchy at best up here. 

Going 700 miles in a day on a VFR from Grand Rapids is something I question doing again after last years Dragon run.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2021 at 9:51 AM, chutta said:

Love to make it, weather is sketchy at best up here. 

Going 700 miles in a day on a VFR from Grand Rapids is something I question doing again after last years Dragon run.

The last time I did the event, I think I took two days to get down there from NE Ohio, taking mostly 2-lane roads, and then slabbed it back all 600 miles in one day.  Not fun, but sometimes it's necessary.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, TimC said:

The last time I did the event, I think I took two days to get down there from NE Ohio, taking mostly 2-lane roads, and then slabbed it back all 600 miles in one day.  Not fun, but sometimes it's necessary.

Yeah, know what you mean. We had 6" of snow here last year on May 10th.

Its 1,161 miles from door to door, so its a 2 day trip. When I went to the Fall get together I split it 800/400 so I arrived at a decent hour.

Don't own a truck or trailer, so its two wheels there and back, Lots of layers and waterproof gear.

On 3/30/2021 at 12:36 PM, Magneto said:

U haul van is 40 bucks a day; motorcycle trailer 20 bucks.

I've always believed in riding to an event if possible, but I don't blame you a bit for trailering from Miami.  Even at 75-80 mph, that's one long ride north and back on very boring roads in Florida, not to mention needlessly chewing up your tires.  I know some of the Canadian contingent usually trailers, too, and I don't blame them either.  Western NC is quite a haul from north of the border.

Canadian couple I met up there

20210331-222835.jpg

No worries I do not have pretensions to be transcontinental rider. It usually takes me 13 hours to reach Knoxville in a car, and I did it way to many times. It is easier since discovery of audiobooks to keep from shutting down and falling a sleep. 

Its five ish hours for me and I trailer in. My tires are a lot more fun when they are not flat in the middle. I usually ride about seven or eight days and my old ass is tired at the end. The boring trip home is easier in the truck. After a week up there, all of the other roads are boring. We have a few who trailer all the way from North Carolina.😀

On 4/1/2021 at 9:48 AM, Sparkie said:

Trailering your bikes like a bunch of harley riders going to daytona.  The shame.......

I happened to be finishing a drive to Bradenton, FL, the weekend Bike Week ended.  I started seeing a bunch of Harley full-dressers heading up I-95N while I was heading south.  It seemed odd to see so many on a Sunday morning, then I thought maybe it was Bike Week.  Checked it on my phone at the next rest area, and yes it was.  Probably 95% of the bikes were Harleys, and a good 70% of those were all black and chrome.

To the attendees' credit, I didn't see that many trailered bikes that morning, but on a big comfy bike like that there's less need to trailer it.

But back on topic...  I got an email today saying the rear luggage rack I ordered last month has been shipped.  That will be the last mod for my new-ish bike I really must have in order to do the trip to NC, so I'm celebrating a little tonight.  Still hoping to have the suspension sorted by then, too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I consider this the best gathering of mc's in the country today. My brain is screaming "Haven't we left yet?!" while my body is screaming equally loud "You've got to be out of your mind!"

Sadly, my body wins this arguement. I will be there in spriit though and hope y'all post up some great pics.

Take care and have a blast y'all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I'm going to wimp out and dich the 800/400 mile idea in favor of 3- 400 mile days. I'll leave early Monday and arrive on Wednesday afternoon.

I turned 66 a few months ago, and its beginning to show. 🙂

On 4/24/2021 at 7:57 AM, chutta said:

U-Haul trailer is my best of options. Surely there won't be snow in the Smokies by then

Snow is gone. Bring it!

9 hours ago, FromMaine said:

I'm going to wimp out and dich the 800/400 mile idea in favor of 3- 400 mile days. I'll leave early Monday and arrive on Wednesday afternoon.

I turned 66 a few months ago, and its beginning to show. 🙂

Smarter not harder. See you Wednesday.

• Member Contributer

I was up there week of 4/18 and the weather was nearly perfect for me. Flowers were coming in and the trees were budding up. Should be perfect, for this event. Wish I could head back up, but, the previous visit was obligatory and had to use my vacation. 

• Member Contributer

I made reservations. See you all on Thursday, May 20. Riding in from Villa Hills, KY.

If, by chance, any one is travelling down to the Spring Memorial ride and passing through Cincinnati/ No. KY, text me and we can meet up or ride down together.

Bill Mersch, 859-466-2174

Unfortunately, I am out.  I've been planning to go, but things aren't going to work out for the trip to NC next week.  I'm still planning to do a trip, but a little closer to home, and I'm meeting my wife and our older son for a getaway.  I hope to get down to the Franklin area for a few days later this summer.

Have a blast, everyone, and ride safe!  🙂 

• Member Contributer
On 5/11/2021 at 9:52 AM, MisterBill said:

I made reservations. See you all on Thursday, May 20. Riding in from Villa Hills, KY.

If, by chance, any one is travelling down to the Spring Memorial ride and passing through Cincinnati/ No. KY, text me and we can meet up or ride down together.

Bill Mersch, 859-466-2174

I hope there are no slippery tires in your future. :ph34r:

Archived