rectifier 98’ vfr800 7 wire red ,black,yellow, brown ..... and 3 yellow ,were do the extra yellow and brown go?

Vfrcrazy

• Member Contributer

Hi, three yellow wire may go to startor, but they look kinda thin.

uc?export=download&id=1cuMtkmjCXbXnax-tf

You can download manual for your bike from here and look at schematic. Easiest way to figure out where those wires connect is:

1. trace them to other end where they are connected to something.

2. look that spot up on schematic

3. trace on schematic other end of wire to see where it connects

4. connect wire to physical spot shown on schematic

• Member Contributer

On that schematic at least, I don't see any that are solid yellow or brown except for the 3 stator wires.  I seem to recall that someone once posted a color wiring schematic for one of the gens - it's been ages ago - maybe if it's in the downloads section you could use that to help. 

ty for your help and your time its much appreciated and i cant seem to find any thing that says what the other two wires go to if i knew i could go ahead but i dont wanna fry nothing lol plus i got two relays on the side that control the fuel pump i belive it the engin stop and the one beside it i was just gonnabuse my head light relays for that and im good to ride

• Member Contributer

Fuel-pump relay is controlled by ECU.

Can't use head-light relay to power fuel-pump because start-button flips headlight-relay and turns head-lights OFF when you push START button. So if you connect fuel-pump to head-light relay, it'll get turned OFF when you push START button. Bike will never start.

Best way to get anything like this working is to restore wiring properly to 100% bone-stock condition. Otherwise, you're gonna be messing with wiring continuously troubleshooting and jerry-rigging this and that forever.

• Member Contributer

1. Measure voltage of battery. Clicking starter-solenoid is sign of dead battery.

2. Measure voltage of battery when you're cranking. If battery is barely strong enough to crank engine, voltage will drop too low. ECU won't get enough power and it'll never start.

• Member Contributer

To get bike running, you'll definitely need one. Find local store near you:

https://www.harborfreight.com/merchandising-promotions/hot-buys/7-function-digital-multimeter-63759.html

Here's how to use one to measure voltage, resistance and even current.

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/how-to-use-a-multimeter/all

Did you find manual on this site to download? Wiring diagram in back really comes in handy.

awesome ty i shoulda done had one of those lol my uncles a master electrician hes got them laying everywere at his shop i just learned about relays and how the voltage opens and closes the switch very interesting stuff and this bike is alluminum i was sanding the tank And found that out im in love with this bike i will have it forever definatly worth the $350 bucks i oayed for it.

2 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

To get bike running, you'll definitely need one. Find local store near you:

https://www.harborfreight.com/merchandising-promotions/hot-buys/7-function-digital-multimeter-63759.html

Here's how to use one to measure voltage, resistance and even current.

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/how-to-use-a-multimeter/all

Did you find manual on this site to download? Wiring diagram in back really comes in handy.

yes i found them i downloaded about ten diffrent service manuals and owners manuals lol and ty for the link illdefinatly check it out !!!

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Vfrcrazy said:

what i wanna know is why the four wite coming off the rectifier are not colored right mine has a  black , red , yellow , and brown then the three yellows to the altenator and they show the two of the four wires coming together like they dont go anywere im stumped anybody anybody???????

You aren't helping us to help you by spreading posts on your issues elsewhere. Please keep it contained here to make progression easier to track.

If you do some searches on this forum, you'll find that RR wiring corrodes over time. Which results in higher resistance, more heat, which melts wires and connectors. Most likely yours has been replaced with aftermarket repair parts. https://www.ebay.com/itm/163265178360

Now, please give more useful data to work with:

1. photo showing ALL wire-ends you're dealing with

2. trace all those wires to their OTHER ends and take & post photo of where they're connected 

be our eyes & hands

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Vfrcrazy said:

awesome ty i shoulda done had one of those lol my uncles a master electrician hes got them laying everywere at his shop i just learned about relays and how the voltage opens and closes the switch very interesting stuff and this bike is alluminum i was sanding the tank And found that out im in love with this bike i will have it forever definatly worth the $350 bucks i oayed for it.

Some projects aren't worth it even if they're FREE!!  I've had couple projects that were really good deals, at first. 

Then I add all those hours multiplied by my wages and I could've had bike in much, much better condition that runs! Didn't seem like that much time, couple hours after work, some weekends. But I could've spent an extra hour or two at office occasionally or gone in on weekends instead of working on the "good deal" bike and be so much further ahead.

who said i didnt work? i could buy a brand new bike if i wanted one ,and you know i think ill just keep to myself from now on so u dont have to worry about me spreading posts about my problems ill just keep them contained to myself d

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Vfrcrazy said:

who said i didnt work? i could buy a brand new bike if i wanted one ,and you know i think ill just keep to myself from now on so u dont have to worry about me spreading posts about my problems ill just keep them contained to myself d

Yay!  I hope you are serious about that.

Archived