What's bolted to the back off the footage mount?

• Member Contributer

There is a chunk of metal bolted to the back of the left footpeg mount and I am assuming it is some sort of vibration damper. Is there any real detriment in taking it off or did Honda really overdo the sophistication of the bike?

• Member Contributer

You're not just referring to the chain guard are you? Its there to make sure your foot can't get near the chain, just added protection nothing more than that!

• Member Contributer

No this is bolted to the back of the footpeg mount on what I would call the ankle protector with 2 bolts. It's pretty easy to take on and off so I may just take it off and see what happens in the spring if anything is noticeable.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, jefferson said:

No this is bolted to the back of the footpeg mount on what I would call the ankle protector with 2 bolts. It's pretty easy to take on and off so I may just take it off and see what happens in the spring if anything is noticeable.

???? Can you post a photo?

As per picture there is nothing attached to the rear of the L/H footpeg other than the ankle guard.

However, the R/H footpeg ankle guard has two bolts holding the rear brake master cylinder to it! 

IMG_0998.JPG

• Member Contributer

On the backside of the ankle guard is a chunk of metal held on by 2 bolts. It is on the inside between the ankle guard and the chain guard.

• Member Contributer

Does it look like #12 in this picture?

Partzilla lists it as:

WEIGHT, L. STEP,   50703-MT4-000

93step_LI.jpg

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, jefferson said:

Yup, that's it.

Well, ya learn something new every day. Was imagining bolts drilled through the ankle plate supporting something. Didn't realise there's a neat oem mounted weight behind the plate. As to its exact purpose I'd like to know, maybe a resonance/vibration damper or perhaps given the size of the ankle guard it needed the added plate for strength????

• Member Contributer

That shows the lengths that Honda went to in the '90's to design their bikes.  Of all the engines out there that need that kind of vibration damping, I wouldn't think a 3rd gen would be one of them.  Things like that truly set Honda apart. 

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, Grum said:

???? Can you post a photo?

As per picture there is nothing attached to the rear of the L/H footpeg other than the ankle guard.

However, the R/H footpeg ankle guard has two bolts holding the rear brake master cylinder to it! 

IMG_0998.JPG

While that appears to be a '93 in the US market, I believe that '92 / '93 models got the wing logo on the tank vs. the Honda script lettering on '90 and '91 3rd gens.  It might lead me to conclude that was a re-spray - but regardless a very nice example I'd love to have in my garage, particularly with the almost extinct uncut rear fender.  Honda saw to the smallest of details, including the fairing for the side stand - just a beautiful overall design. 

• Member Contributer

Yep, it's just listed as a weight, probably for resonance...

I was hoping it would say something cool, like "Flux Capacitor"

• Member Contributer

Since I'm a weight freak I think I will remove it and see if I notice anything untoward that I can't put up with. Could always put it back on before a long trip if the vibration is that bad.

• Member Contributer
On 1/23/2021 at 1:38 AM, Cogswell said:

While that appears to be a '93 in the US market, I believe that '92 / '93 models got the wing logo on the tank vs. the Honda script lettering on '90 and '91 3rd gens.  It might lead me to conclude that was a re-spray - but regardless a very nice example I'd love to have in my garage, particularly with the almost extinct uncut rear fender.  Honda saw to the smallest of details, including the fairing for the side stand - just a beautiful overall design. 

Good eye, pardner, but that's a French-spec FL or FM, based on the "Carat" emblem on the upper cowl.  There might even have been different fonts for the two years, but I'm just not bored enough to check!

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

On 1/21/2021 at 5:53 PM, jefferson said:

Is there any real detriment in taking it off or did Honda really overdo the sophistication of the bike?

I checked my 92 to discover the weight is not there. Lost somewhere in its dark history. And not necessarily surprising for my particular bike. I've never much noticed the bike to suffer from any drastic resonance vibration dampening handling problems, but of course, I have no before/after to compare it to. I wonder what I'm missing...

• Member Contributer

I've noticed a lot of sound deadening / vibration isolation / rubber mountings on my fifth gen. The foot pegs alone have nearly a dozen parts/screws. I assume these are for vibration reduction.

Like Cogswell said: "Honda saw to the smallest of details"

Archived