Gear Indicator

• Member Contributer

Has anyone here fitted a Gear Position Indicator to either a third or fourth Gen?

Any Insights, suggestions?

Thanks

• Member Contributer

Can only tell you about 5th Gen, but I think similar.. the speed sensor is at the front sprocket and has a three-wire harness and connector not far from it.  A Chinese gear indicator will connect here, i.e., unplug speed sensor and insert connectors from the gear indicator unit.  You will also have a separate (blue or green?) spare wire which you must connect to a tach signal from the ECU... might be yellow wire at ECU.  Should come with instructions.

Note there are two types, the one for later Hondas have 3 wires only in a 4-way connector which plugs directly to the red diagnostic plug.  Don't get that one.

I would also recommend one with a green display as it will show up in daylight better than red or blue display.

• Member Contributer

I fitted one to my 4th gen, it was a GI Pro and was easy enough to fit the hardest part was figuring how to fit it so it looked half way decent, will see if I have any photo's and will try to post them

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, scottbott said:

I fitted one to my 4th gen, it was a GI Pro and was easy enough to fit the hardest part was figuring how to fit it so it looked half way decent, will see if I have any photo's and will try to post them

IMG_1354.thumb.jpg.8196d776c442d443390c928785982bda.jpg

• Member Contributer

forgot to mention that the LED light is a voltmeter normally it shows green so is nothing to do with the gear indicator!

• Member Contributer

No video I'm aware of.  It's simple enough, find where you want to mount it, run the wire to the speed sensor and plug it in.  Check wiring diagram for tach signal wire which is yellow or yellow/green.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, scottbott said:

IMG_1354.thumb.jpg.8196d776c442d443390c928785982bda.jpg

Your mounting bracket reminds me of the one TriumphTraitor made for 6th gens. I am curious about how you mounted that bracket.

• Member Contributer

it is taken off the top of a battery case off an large electric wheelchair, the outer 'lip' of the lid cut down after making a template with cardboard, so it was 'L' shaped looking side on to it, I epoxied it onto the top handlebar mount and then filled slight gap around it with a product called Sugru, it's been on for about 18 months and seems pretty solid, hope that makes sense

• Member Contributer

I don't know what you have on the 750, but the Gen5 has a removable cover on either side above the dash (hides windshield attachments).  I made an angle bracket, attached with one screw plus 3M tape, wire hidden in the hollow behind.  Mirror image the bracket and put a voltmeter on the other side.

20200917_115249.jpg

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, raYzerman said:

I don't know what you have on the 750, but the Gen5 has a removable cover on either side above the dash (hides windshield attachments).  I made an angle bracket, attached with one screw plus 3M tape, wire hidden in the hollow behind.  Mirror image the bracket and put a voltmeter on the other side.

20200917_115249.jpg

raYzerman, I see from your picture that you are using a tire pressure monitoring system. Could you elaborate on the model and your experience with it?

• Member Contributer

Sure... cheap Chinese (~$25 ebay), this one has solar panel and a hooded housing, made my own bracket, attached display with 3M tape.  My buddies and I have had 3 or 4 units, all decent, however accuracy (of sensors) may be off (low) 1-2 psi.  OK if you know that.  I had one display fail (my fault), cheap enough to buy two (pick the best set of sensors).  Sensor batteries replaceable, I put new ones in every year.  Charge on display unit lasts a fair while too, but may have to charge (USB) once in a while.

It beeps if you have gone beyond  your set limits, but best have the thing in view (will flash), as the beeping os OK but not all that loud.  Don't get the phone app type from China, it has tracking... go FOBO if you want that type.

• Member Contributer

Superbright LED bulb replacements.... #194 and #74.  Good in daytime, might be a tab bright at night, but I'm not intending to ride much at night.  I don't think it would be too bad though.... keep the stock blue for the high beam, I dislike bright high beam indicators.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/

• Member Contributer
On 1/21/2021 at 12:19 PM, raYzerman said:

20200917_115249.jpg

That's a nice full on cockpit you have there raYzerman. Does your Garmin GPS mount swivel to vertical? Interesting mount you have for the GPS holder, did you fabricate it yourself?

• Member Contributer

No video on changing out the light bulbs.  Simple enough, remove nose cowl and remove the bulb holders, the larger ones are for turn signal indicators and backlighting.  Those are 194 type, use correct colour for the lens it goes behind... amber for signal indicators, green for illumination.  The smaller ones are for warning lights, use appropriate colour for each, they are #74.

The GPS bracket is one I had from years ago.  TPMS bracket is similar but mirror image.  You can easily make one from 1/8 steel, 4 screws mount the GPS cradle, you can put yours vertical if you like, standard Garmin hole pattern.  Make one from sheet metal as a prototype first if you like.  I dislike RAM mounts as they are so bulky and heavy.

My voltmeter and gear indicator brackets were made from aluminum angle, but they are a little "fat", so I plan to re-do them in some 24 gauge stainless sheet I have.  Upcoming winter project.

• Member Contributer

I used KevCarver's post to convert my dash lights to LED:

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/93624-pre-refurb-questions/&tab=comments#comment-1107966

Here is the list that you need (Fifth Gen Only):

Bulb Size     Color            How Many     Where it Goes:

194               Amber               X2              Turn Signal Indicators

194               Blue                   X2              LCD Screen

194               White                X3               Dials

74                 Red                   X1                Oil Light

74                 Blue                  X1                High Beams

74                 Green               X1                Neutral

He also follows up with a short tutorial on accomplishing this task.

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/93624-pre-refurb-questions/&do=findComment&comment=1107970

• Member Contributer

I have a Healtech GiPro on my 3rd gen.  I started with a cheap knock-off, but the real thing (although expensive) is a solid piece of work and won't fall apart on you...

The 3rd gen VFR has a mechanical speedometer, so the easy plug-n-play the 4th-gen and up guys get is not happenin' for us 3rd gen guys.  Healtech, however, sells a mechanical speedo adapter kit (GPX-WSS), which is also robustly made, but is actually something you could make yourself if you're familiar with Hall-effect sensors (which are cheap as chips these days).  The adapter is usually installed at the front wheel, but in theory you could place it at the rear disc.  

It's a bit more complicated to install a gear position indicator on a 3rd gen, but it is possible, and can be done nicely.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

it was the HealTech Gi Pro that I fitted but I also fitted the Brake Light Pro at the same time, it can be programmed various ways for when you shut the throttle it will flash the brake lights various amounts so drivers can see that you are slowing down before you use your brakes, a handy bit of kit and seems to be nicely made

Archived