Replacement of Engine Right Crankcase Cover.

SSNOWDEN77

I will be replacing the right crankcase cover on my 2015 Honda VFR800. In the shop manual it reads to disconnect the CKP Sensor 2P connector. On the crankcase cover is where the CKP Sensor is located. I am trying to trace the wire up from the unit on the crankcase cover up to where it connects. Is it really necessary to disconnect the P2 Sensor connector in order to swap out the crankcase covers. Thanks in advance for any information or guidance.

IMG_4553.JPG

IMG_4559.JPG

• Member Contributer

Depending on how much lead length you have when removing the cover! You may be able to just remove the old, cover, unbolt the CKP sensor and sealing grommet and transfer this across to the new cover, worth a try I guess.

Thanks for the reply and information. I am attempting to back trace the harness to the connector without taking too many things apart. I changed the Right crankcase cover on my old 2002 Honda VFR800 a few years back. I have been considering the option mentioned though. I have a new gasket and Hondabond on hand for the replacement.

• Member Contributer

The FSM procedure likely assumes that the cover is being removed to service something else vs being itself replaced.  Disconnecting the connector allows the grommet and likely gasket to remain undisturbed.  Since you're replacing it anyway, there's nothing to lose by going with Grum's suggestion.  You may need a 2nd set of hands to hold the cover once it comes loose so that you can do surgery inside to remove the sensor.  Don't forget about the 2 dowels that locate the cover - Honda just loves those things. 

6 hours ago, SSNOWDEN77 said:

I will be replacing the right crankcase cover on my 2015 Honda VFR800. In the shop manual it reads to disconnect the CKP Sensor 2P connector. On the crankcase cover is where the CKP Sensor is located. I am trying to trace the wire up from the unit on the crankcase cover up to where it connects. Is it really necessary to disconnect the P2 Sensor connector in order to swap out the crankcase covers. Thanks in advance for any information or guidance.

IMG_4553.JPG

IMG_4559.JPG

You will need to disconnect the sensor, but only once you remove the crankcase cover.  There is a bracket that attaches it to the crankcase.  Be sure to use the correct sealant, and only in the indicated places.  Check your old gasket to see where it was applied on assembly.  The grommet for the CKP sensor requires a different sealant than the Threebond you use for the crankcase itself.

Thanks to all the replies. Great information and advise that will help guide me. I was able to trace the wire back and up to the P2 connector and of course it is buried and hard to access. If it were disconnected and pulled out it would take quite some time to feed it back and reconnect it. I will try the two person approach while swapping the unit over to the new crankcase cover. Does anyone know the type of sealant I should use when installing the grommet for the CKP Sensor to the new crankcase cover? I have the hondabond to install at the points shown in the shop manual. Yes, I remember those two dowels on the inside from changing the crankcase cover on my old 2002 VFR800. Plus the small one near the sensor on the engine side. Will Permatex Ultra Copper be sufficient to seal the CKP sensor to the new cover?

4 hours ago, SSNOWDEN77 said:

Thanks to all the replies. Great information and advise that will help guide me. I was able to trace the wire back and up to the P2 connector and of course it is buried and hard to access. If it were disconnected and pulled out it would take quite some time to feed it back and reconnect it. I will try the two person approach while swapping the unit over to the new crankcase cover. Does anyone know the type of sealant I should use when installing the grommet for the CKP Sensor to the new crankcase cover? I have the hondabond to install at the points shown in the shop manual. Yes, I remember those two dowels on the inside from changing the crankcase cover on my old 2002 VFR800. Plus the small one near the sensor on the engine side. Will Permatex Ultra Copper be sufficient to seal the CKP sensor to the new cover?

You definitely don't need copper.  These motorcycles are engineered very well, that's just not necessary.  You need to use an oil-resistant sealant that covers the temperature and pressure range of the crankcase and a silicone weatherproofing sealant for the CKP sensor grommet.  If you want to go with Permatex then this is all you need:

• Permatex Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant
  • Permatex Ultra Black Maximum Oil Resistance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

You could use the black for the grommet as well, it's just a bit of overkill.

• Member Contributer

I've used this product when I replaced 6gen alternator stators. A light smear of this around the gasket and IIRC used it around the rubber wire outlet grommet. Its a non hardening gasket seal that works great, an excellent product. High temperature, oil and fuel resistant,

80017.jpg

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Don't forget about the 2 dowels that locate the cover - Honda just loves those things. 

I was refitting one of those dowels and thinking to myself that dropping one would be a Very Bad Thing given the wide open crankcase full of oil and the bike on the sidestand. Guess what happened next?? I got very lucky with my magnet on a stick and found the dowel after a few minutes fishing in the sump...

Thanks for all the input. I will try the Aviation Sealant for the Sensor since the Ultra Black Permatex would be overkill. A local O'Reilly's has it in stock. My VFR800 will be on it's center stand when I replace the crankcase cover. Taking all precautions to not lose any of the internal dowels as well.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, SSNOWDEN77 said:

My VFR800 will be on it's center stand when I replace the crankcase cover.

You do plan to drain the oil in that case?  If not there will be a lake of it on the floor.  Note the sight glass and the oil level.  Terry mentions having the bike on the side stand.  It can be done that way without an oil drain and not lose much,  just have something to catch or absorb  a bit.  

Yes, I do plan to drain the oil case per the shop manual. Because of the internal dowels I prefer to replace the cover while using the center stand. Thanks for the information and input.

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, Grum said:

I've used this product when I replaced 6gen alternator stators. A light smear of this around the gasket and IIRC used it around the rubber wire outlet grommet. Its a non hardening gasket seal that works great, an excellent product. High temperature, oil and fuel resistant,

80017.jpg

Thanks, never came across this product before.

There will be one in my garage shortly though 🙂🍺

• Member Contributer

Why are you replacing the cover? Is it simply because it’s scratched up from a drop? Or are there other issues?

Mine looked much the same after a stationary drop (klutz) so I covered it with an R&G protector.

I decided to replace it because of a drop leaving from work and hitting loose gravel and sand on exit to parking lot. I should have gone slow with my feet dragging the ground out onto the main road and would have prevented all this repair maintenance. I was going to try and find the color paint for the cover, clean up the scratches and touch up the paint. Could not find any information on the paint for the crankcase covers.

Replacement was successful. I paid attention to the inner dowel pins and the two in the crankcase cover. Easy to swap over the CKP Sensor and seal it in the new crankcase cover, install new gasket, line it all up and slide cover on without resistance. Installed 14 bolts, tightened as specified in manual and torqued them, Letting the sealant dry for 24 hours, then going to fill up with oil and leak check it.

Thanks to everyone for your input and advice. It is GREATLY Appreciated!!

Thank you THUMBS for that information. I will look to purchase some, clean up the old crankcase cover and touch up the paint on it.

Took the VFR800 out for a long ride after checking for leaks. Ran and shifted as normal. No leaks, Runs or Errors. Glad to have the VFR800 looking New again.

Thanks to all who contributed and guided me in replacing the right crankcase cover.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, SSNOWDEN77 said:

Thank you THUMBS for that information. I will look to purchase some, clean up the old crankcase cover and touch up the paint on it.

Took the VFR800 out for a long ride after checking for leaks. Ran and shifted as normal. No leaks, Runs or Errors. Glad to have the VFR800 looking New again.

Thanks to all who contributed and guided me in replacing the right crankcase cover.

Glad its all sorted.

Just curious - Did you end up using the Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket? Did you find it easy to use? Did you apply it to both side of your gasket? And did you apply it to the wiring grommet surfaces? Keen to hear thoughts.

Cheers.:fing02:

I used the Permatex Aviation Form-A Gasket for the wiring grommet only. I used Hondabond 4 for the two spots on the gasket. The Grommet Sealed really well and is holding strong.
Cheers!!!

Archived