Flasher unit

Hi guys, I started with a single indicater fault bad earth  corrected it  few days later and full indicaters stoped i got a ticker transmitting with NO flash including non on screen. Ive been trying to check on multi meter but am new to it and not  sure about wiring etc any help is appreciated, thanks.

• Member Contributer

To make a bulb flash the following circuit is completed:

Battery positive ---> starter relay/main fuse -->Red wire --> Ignition switch --> Red/black wire  --> Fuse E --> white/green wire -->flasher relay --> grey wire --> indicator switch --> turn signal bulb ---> earth ---> battery negative

If you connect the negative of your MM to earth (or battery negative) then probe along the circuit above L --> R with ignition switched on,  you should see constant battery voltage (i.e. 12V and a bit) until you get to the flasher, then on/off batt voltage after that. You can also set the meter to continuity and look for continuity between any earth (green) wire (e.g. at the flasher or at the bulb sockets) and the battery negative to see if there are any bad earths present. 

• Member Contributer

Also very important to make sure ALL indicator globes are good and the correct type and wattage.

Make sure every globe socket Ground (Green wire) has continuity back to the battery Negative terminal. Select lowest Ohms scale clip your black lead to the battery Negative then probe each globe socket Green wire make sure you see 0 ohms.

A simple test is to unplug the Turn Relay and place a shorting link between the Gray wire and the White/Green wire. Turn your Ignition to On and select a turn. Whatever side you select the indicator lights should be FULLY On. If the test works correctly this will confirm your wiring, turn switch, and provided you have the correct globes and you've confirmed that the Green wire of the Turn Relay is properly Grounded then this will probably mean you have a faulty Turn Relay.

• Member Contributer

Here's how to use multimeter. Learn to measure voltage and resistance. Will help you with tests outlined above.

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/how-to-use-a-multimeter/all

20 minutes ago, Ridez said:

Thanks,  The test worked briefly as well as on screen but then stopped had to push a little harder than usual so will need to clean out controls also getting no headlight now but buzzing from  fuses box.. I changed top fuse n fuse melted on main in relay from batry change issue (think). Here's my unsure readings; (on volt)  relay: thin red yellow 0.4 thin red green 0.4 turn signal: grey 0.1 on continuity green 1. - 4. (Looks as if earth goes to stater side?) Rest wires in them areas good at 12.5

• Member Contributer

Buzzing relays is clue. What is battery voltage measured directly at battery terminals? 

On 1/14/2021 at 1:03 AM, Grum said:

Also very important to make sure ALL indicator globes are good and the correct type and wattage.

Make sure every globe socket Ground (Green wire) has continuity back to the battery Negative terminal. Select lowest Ohms scale clip your black lead to the battery Negative then probe each globe socket Green wire make sure you see 0 ohms.

A simple test is to unplug the Turn Relay and place a shorting link between the Gray wire and the White/Green wire. Turn your Ignition to On and select a turn. Whatever side you select the indicator lights should be FULLY On. If the test works correctly this will confirm your wiring, turn switch, and provided you have the correct globes and you've confirmed that the Green wire of the Turn Relay is properly Grounded then this will probably mean you have a faulty Turn Relay.

2 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

Buzzing relays is clue. What is battery voltage measured directly at battery terminals? 

Not at relay it's ticked at signal box wen put on indicater n wen replaced fuse for headlight tried putting light on and buzzed at fuse (at front were my 7 fuse box is located)

5 minutes ago, Ridez said:

Not at relay it's ticked at signal box wen put on indicater n wen replaced fuse for headlight tried putting light on and buzzed at fuse (at front were my 7 fuse box is located)

Im getting 12.65 at terminals

Archived