CENTRE STAND QUESTION

Careca

My Center stand is in rather poor condition .  I am considering replacing it. 

I am a YEAR 2000 , 5 th gen  VFR . 

My question is this .  Will a 6 th gen center stand fit a 5 th gen bike . They certainly look very alike. 

5 th gen part No 50500 MBG 000

6 th gen part No 50500 MCWD 000

Thanks,

Regards,

Nat.

• Member Contributer

Short answer is I don't know!  But I can tell you that if the stand had been directly swappable between the 5th and 6th gens, Honda probably wouldn't have given the latter one a new "MCW" part number.  The "50500" just means "main stand" and the middle three letters identify the model for which the part was originally designed.  Which means that parts that are truly interchangeable from earlier models carry the earlier model's part number.  That's just how Honda usually does things.

However, sometimes parts which are not identical can still be swapped--trial and error is the name of that game.  Be patient: someone will know the answer.

Ciao,

JZH

• 2 weeks later...

Not really, but spoke to 2 Honda dealers over here who both said they are NOT the same part. 

Personally I still doubt  them as they look absolutely identical and I also doubt Honda re-designed the center stand between the 5 th & 6 th gen  VFR's.

However , not having both part numbers in front of me to do an actual comparison I have to accept what they have told me and thus until someone tell me decisively otherwise that the answer is No , they are NOT interchangeable.

• Member Contributer

I have no actual knowledge of this one...but I do know the raised centrestand on the 5G is located by the bump-stop on the bottom of the muffler. The 6G of course has undertail mufflers so not sure what locates the position of the raised stand.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Terry said:

I have no actual knowledge of this one...but I do know the raised centrestand on the 5G is located by the bump-stop on the bottom of the muffler. The 6G of course has undertail mufflers so not sure what locates the position of the raised stand.

The 6th gen's is held in its retracted position by a tab with rubber bumper welded to the cat which contacts the lower crossbar.  There is no specific provision on the stand itself for that purpose.   I wish I had more  info - I have one of each,  but both are supporting their respective hosts, so all I could do is eyeball it vs a definitive determination.  I do know for a fact that the shock mount the stands bolt to will each bolt directly to the other's engine, but there are some differences in the mounts and there isn't an easy way to look to see if it affects the c stand.  

As an aside, to the OP, the dealer is never going to tell you about parts interchange - they would never tell you that 5 and 6g motors  share many cooling system fittings, or that a 3rd gen's 8 spoke fits a 4, 5 and 6th gen,  but they do.  There's liability in it for them to give that advice, so they won't.  You may have to be the forum's pioneer to find out - buy one on ebay and try it.  That's been going on with other swaps since the forum started. It is a financial risk, but at least a small one.

• Member Contributer

Heck, Honda gives different part# for same part that's different colour.

Can members with these stands post photos and we can compare?
Could be hardware underneath bike may be different, but stands will interchange?

5 th gen part No 50500 MBG 000

6 th gen part No 50500 MCWD 000

Then maybe ask some questions like:
- spacing between mounting eyes

- diameter of mounting holes

- etc.

• Member Contributer

Just deleting something like a stand bumper would be enough to earn an entirely new part number.  But, it might still fit if someone was willing to fabricate a different means of bumping said stand.  Only way to know for sure is to belly up and buy some parts... (I have experience with this--and several boxes of miscellaneous hard Honda parts in the shed to prove it!)

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

All right . . . since my 5th and 6th's are setting side by side, I got under each and used tape measure to find the distance between the mount plates the C-stands rotate on - in other words, the distance between the uprights that have the holes for the mounting bolts.  On both I got about 7 1/32 in. - both measured several times.  I could probably have been more accurate with a helper but did the best I could.  I used to do carpentry, so I'm instinctively picky about measuring.  The two sure look highly similar if not the same, but that does not speak to things such as possible offset differences, hole sizing for the mounting bolts / spacers, or possibly most important, the angle and height at which the top of the uprights are placed / oriented which sets the angle at which the C-stand rests when in use.   Aside from someone having two on a bench and directly comparing them for you, or that has actually done the swap, about all that's left is to do as suggested - buy one on ebay and see what happens.  If you do let us know how it comes out. 

I just completed this for my 99  GEN 5. I received all my Center Stand parts on Sunday 01/31  (Installed Monday / Tuesday)

I ordered the GEN 6 Stand (50500-MCW-D00). The other parts are the same (except one) so I used GEN 5 part numbers for bolts, washers, collars, springs, etc.

THE ONLY PART I noticed was different.

GEN 6 RIGHT SIDE FLANGE BOLT LEFT HAND THREAD (I used the GEN 5)

I recommend you verify to be sure, so no cross threading. You may know by now, I had to disconnect my header to get enough space to install the right side Flange Bolt.

I hope this helps. 

If this helps..... I removed panels, WD-40 the header nuts and removed, I pulled the front pipes out and to the right bike side (just enough), then pulled the rear pipes out to the right (just enough). This gave the space I needed without fully removing the header. I probably should have pulled the header and had it powder coated. I will save that for another weather day. Good Luck... Cheers.

GD VFR - 2021.jpeg

• Member Contributer

So it sounds like we have confirmation that the 5 and 6 c-stands are interchangeable - yes?  I can't understand why a 5th gen bolt is right hand and 6th left.  Id like to ask the Honda engineers what that accomplished.   :wacko:

As to header removal to get at the stand,  I've never found these bikes to be particularly user friendly to service. It seems their first priority was packing things in as tightly as possible  - no concern for the end user's experience servicing / repairing it.  

I ordered both Flange bolts to be sure. The threads were clearly opposite. 
 I would be curious if the GEN 6 Service manual notes the difference. “Lefty Tighty on the Righty sidey” LOL

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, GDNext said:

I ordered both Flange bolts to be sure. The threads were clearly opposite. 
 I would be curious if the GEN 6 Service manual notes the difference. “Lefty Tighty on the Righty sidey” LOL

I haven't looked in the service manual for it, but the 6th gen parts fiche clearly denotes "Left Hand Thread" for the clutch side bolt.  The joke is when you see used 6th gen shock mounts on ebay, almost invariably that bolt has been snapped off . . .

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, Cogswell said:

I haven't looked in the service manual for it, but the 6th gen parts fiche clearly denotes "Left Hand Thread" for the clutch side bolt.  The joke is when you see used 6th gen shock mounts on ebay, almost invariably that bolt has been snapped off . . .

They all do!  I bought the 6th gen "cushion" to use with some 6th gen rearsets on my 5th gen and--of course--there was a nice stub of a fastener in one of the holes...

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
On 2/5/2021 at 4:43 PM, JZH said:

They all do!  I bought the 6th gen "cushion" to use with some 6th gen rearsets on my 5th gen and--of course--there was a nice stub of a fastener in one of the holes...

Ciao,

JZH

Honda's nomenclature is sure strange sometimes.  A cast aluminum piece that bolts to the engine and attaches the shock to it is a "cushion".  Maybe the seat is a "mount" or a "plate".  Actually,  maybe that's fairly accurate  . . . :wacko:

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Note that the shock is actually what they call 'Cushion', which makes sense. The bottom casting that attaches the shock linkage is a 'Bracket, Cushion, Lower' just as the top shock mount is a 'Bracket, Cushion'.

Part numbers have to uniquely identify a part, different colour = different part number. In manufacturing you have to assume all the individuals in the chain from supply to assembly have no idea what anything is or does and the number has to capture it all, especially when you are ordering thousands or more at a time and expecting them to show up at the assembly line at the right time for what is being built. Parts are just a number and a barcode.

If the part number is different then the part is too, but that does not mean it doesn't interchange. The design side might have had to update something for another reason, styling, cost, functionality etc. which might not have changed it dimensionally but changed it none the less, therefore new number. Manufacturers don't care if parts swap between models because they don't do that. If they can carry over a part to control cost they will, but a minor change to a part from a supplier isn't a big deal either, they jam that onto the supplier if they want the business. Most parts on complex products are purchased in from outside suppliers, big companies only manufacture the parts that affect the key quality and performance factors, such as chassis and engine, and even then many simpler parts will be purchased. There is also nothing in it for them to make it easier to service unless it makes it cheaper to build.

This applies to all manufactured goods, a fractional cost savings per unit adds up when your production is into the 10's or 100's of thousands. The only thing that matters to manufacturers is that the thing they make is good enough for you to want to buy it, but not too good that you never buy another. 

Archived