Clutchin ain’t EZ

Hi, I have a 97 vfr750f that I’ve been rebuilding. The bike runs great, it’s in great shape.  The problem is that I’m having is the clutch is not working. Rear wheel is locked up when in gear and clutch in. The clutch will not disengage. With the clutch in, in gear the rear wheel is locked up when Rocking back forward. Rolls free in neutral. Put on center stand, which is bypassed started and still not response.  Put in gear on the stand,  clutch in and gave some gas and got on the rear brake to see if it would free up but nothing. Tried many times. I replaced the clutch, must have done it 10 times before install, just to make sure it was right I’m sure it’s correct  and rebuilt the slave with a rebuild kit, Bled correctly. Good movement on the rod and lever. If you open oil fill you can see discs move and separate when clutch is pulled. The clutch switch works because I can start in  gear with clutch pulled on stand. But still no response to the back wheel, locked up. It feels solid what ever it is making It not move . Wheel moves great just rolling or on under power but the clutch has no affect Have any ideas/help?

• Member Contributer

What happened when you had the clutch apart?

Could you rotate the wheel then?

• Member Contributer

9 hours ago, Dougwfresh said:

....The clutch switch works because I can start in  gear with clutch pulled on stand. But still no response to the back wheel, locked up. It feels solid what ever it is making It not move . Wheel moves great just rolling or on under power but the clutch has no affect Have any ideas/help?

You mean when in gear and you release clutch-lever, back wheel doesn't spin?

Could be tranmission problems

• Member Contributer

The outer clutch basket is driven by the engine and the inner clutch basket is connected to the transmission. With the clutch disks removed, the inner basket should spin freely when in neutral should spin with the rear tire when in gear. 

Archived