Kind of a weird one (wiring and lights)

Zacharmento

Question

07 vfr800

Now I’m not sure where they are normally but there are a handful of relays in the front of the bike, 2 of which are smashed, well the whole harness is pretty messy. A lot of the ends have been ripped off. Regardless I’m wiring in fire blade head and tail, as far as I have figured out, green is ground, orange is left and light blue is right, and I’ve isolated the hi low wires, now for my question, 

1. Can anyone list the relays with 4 prongs in the front, there are 2 that seem to be very similar they are the ones I need,  now to help narrow it down, the bike will start and run, with bulbs installed they won’t light with the key power on, I messed around with a jumper and got lights to light up on one of the relays, and this one says Mitsubishi on it, they are too smashed to get any more Info off them, one more thing is if someone can provide me with a wire Selma tic or at least a wire key card or something. I’m so close to finishing it now and I’ve hit a rock wall with this,

on a side note if anyone can help me know the function  of the relays in terms of how the circuits are wired, I know it’s a lot but I’m sure you guys can help thanks!

6 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

No need to supply a schematic! You can download the full Service Manual from this forum. Go to the home page and select downloads.

The relays up front grouped together as a threesome starting from left is the Low Beam Relay, middle is your Turn Relay and right is the Hi Beam Relay.

Directly below these relays and center mounted is the Bank Angle Sensor.

Your Hi and Lo beam Relays along with the Engine Stop Relay and Fuel Cut Relay are all the same type and interchangeable. 

The Engine Stop Relay is located at the front lower left. The Fuel Cut Relay is lower right.

:fing02:

6 hours ago, Grum said:

No need to supply a schematic! You can download the full Service Manual from this forum. Go to the home page and select downloads.

The relays up front grouped together as a threesome starting from left is the Low Beam Relay, middle is your Turn Relay and right is the Hi Beam Relay.

Directly below these relays and center mounted is the Bank Angle Sensor.

Your Hi and Lo beam Relays along with the Engine Stop Relay and Fuel Cut Relay are all the same type and interchangeable. 

The Engine Stop Relay is located at the front lower left. The Fuel Cut Relay is lower right.

:fing02:

I have no way to download it as I don’t own a computer can I pull it up on my phone

• Member Contributer

sure on phone, it's PDF. 

You'll want to trace every single wire and compare to diagram. Making sure both ends connect to where they should.

I find it's easier to print out schematic on larger sheets of paper (11x17). Then I can see entire diagram without endless scrolling and find endpoints easily. I'll also trace wires with coloured markers to make it easy to understand.

Then I'll measure with multimeter to confirm connections. Determining each and every wire is continuous is important. Even though both ends may be connected and it looks "ok", it may be corroded or broken internally. 

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, Zacharmento said:

I have no way to download it as I don’t own a computer can I pull it up on my phone

So was the info supplied what you wanted?

Attached is headlight wiring.

IMG_0994.PNG

Yes and it actually lead to me getting them working I deleted the dual relay for all the headlights and now have it functioning off of a single 5 prong, sadly I was hoping all my lights would work, I was getting no power to the hi/low switch. Now that’s tackled and my high low functions,  my integrated tail light doesn’t light up despite being wired right and also no flashers either, the bike got sandwiched at a light (front/back) and the wiring is pretty screwed. I wish I was more capable on forums! But yeah anything that has wiring circuits relating to lights in the rear

• Member Contributer

use diagram to test for voltage at various spots to see if wiring is working properly. With crash damage, there can be internal damage to wires even though they look fine externally. So measure resistance end-to-end of each wire in turn-signals to make sure they're ok.

For flashers, verify there's voltage leaving turn-signal switch. And that voltage makes it to flasher relay input. If it does, then flasher relay may be bad. Test by bypassing flasher relay with jimper-wire. Signals should at least turn on full time.

In cases like this, you get things fixed a lot faster by measuring rather than juggling wires.

Archived