map sensor light on

lawnmowerman

• Member Contributer

hello all while looking at my map sensor on my 1998 honda vfr 800 fi because the bike was blinking twice.the bike fell on the left side. when i went to start it  the bike started then stalled bike was running well before i was looking at it. now it wont start seems like it is not getting fuel it sputters once in a while anyone have any ideas. did the flooded procedure but still wont start. i put a hose on the map sensor and no lights are flashing

• Member Contributer

Given the bike started after the tip-over it is unlikely to be anything electrical. I wonder if the sideways excursion has kicked up debris in the tank that has now clogged the fuel pump. Might be worth running the pump into a container and verifying there is good flow. There's a procedure in the service manual (5-47) for this which is not too onerous. 

• Member Contributer
37 minutes ago, Terry said:

Given the bike started after the tip-over it is unlikely to be anything electrical. I wonder if the sideways excursion has kicked up debris in the tank that has now clogged the fuel pump. Might be worth running the pump into a container and verifying there is good flow. There's a procedure in the service manual (5-47) for this which is not too onerous. 

ill give that a try but i am smelling gas from cranking not really an overabundance of gas .is there any chance oil got into something ?  i does not seem to be firing on any cylinder . i am at work for the next 3 days then i have four days off . i will check the fuel and i  will pull the plugs  and see if i am getting spark . also if it landed on the coil could that of gone bad. this seems really odd to me considering nothing looks broken

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, lawnmowerman said:

hello all while looking at my map sensor on my 1998 honda vfr 800 fi because the bike was blinking twice.the bike fell on the left side. when i went to start it  the bike started then stalled bike was running well before i was looking at it. now it wont start seems like it is not getting fuel it sputters once in a while anyone have any ideas. did the flooded procedure but still wont start. i put a hose on the map sensor and no lights are flashing

Tell us more about this step.

What was before and after configuration-change of this operation?

• Member Contributer
18 minutes ago, DannoXYZ said:

Tell us more about this step.

What was before and after configuration-change of this operation?

so recently i pulled the fuel injectors out for the first time and changed the pressure regulator . bike was running good. put all the hoses back in the right place but i had one left over from under fuel rail . vacum hoses 1-4 went  on the air filter housing hoses 1-10-12- 15 went where they belong. as i was putting the bike back together i had found one last hose from under the throttle body that was connected to all four intakes ( i dont know the proper name ) i thought it was a overflow of some kind. when the error code came up two blinks. check map sensor hose. i thought of this hose it was the only one that knew was not connected. when i plugged it in the error code light went off. otherwise there are no hoses not connected and i made sure all other hoses are in the right place according to the manual

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear of your bike topple. You've had your fair share of issues with it.

Are you definitely hearing the fuel pump prime at every switch on?

Are you seeing any other Fi Fault Codes?

Bike in Neutral, raise the Side Stand, try starting, does your bike start?

Is there any damage to your clutch switch from the fall over?

Battery cables tight? Battery voltage and capacity good?

Failing all of the above and other suggestions, then confirming spark would be a good step.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Grum said:

Sorry to hear of your bike topple. You've had your fair share of issues with it.

Are you definitely hearing the fuel pump prime at every switch on?

Are you seeing any other Fi Fault Codes?

Bike in Neutral, raise the Side Stand, try starting, does your bike start?

Is there any damage to your clutch switch from the fall over?

Battery cables tight? Battery voltage and capacity good?

Failing all of the above and other suggestions, then confirming spark would be a good step.

thanks grum i will figure this out, this was my fault , i was putting my bike on my lift table and was on the opposite  side of the table and went to lean it toward the kick stand and the kick stand slid out from under it or off the table not sure i was too busy holding on to the bike. table was on the ground . can i send you a message when i get to it this next weekend with my facts and a short video of what is going on 

• Member Contributer
35 minutes ago, paulmeisterpk said:

Tip over sensor stuck?

Handlebar kill switch corroded?

Good idea! Time to break out multimeter and measure stuff. 

Saves tonnes of time!

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, paulmeisterpk said:

Tip over sensor stuck?

Handlebar kill switch corroded?

Tip over sensor = No EFI, No fuel pump prime and Fi Light fully ON.

Kill Switch faulty = No Cranking, and No EFI, No fuel pump prime and Fi Light fully ON.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Grum said:

Tip over sensor = No EFI, No fuel pump prime and Fi Light fully ON.

Kill Switch faulty = No Cranking, and No EFI, No fuel pump prime and Fi Light fully ON.

Yep; the bike ran badly then stopped hence my thought around poor fuel flow/pressure being a possibility. 

• Member Contributer

Just thought id let you guys know the bike did not want to fire for 12 hours. I work as a EMT so i was gone for my 3 day shift when i got back my bike ran great i think i just needed to sit  but seems like it is burning off oil in the exhaust now 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, lawnmowerman said:

Just thought id let you guys know the bike did not want to fire for 12 hours. I work as a EMT so i was gone for my 3 day shift when i got back my bike ran great i think i just needed to sit  but seems like it is burning off oil in the exhaust now 

Good news, take it for a good run, see how she goes, make sure you don't have the Fi light come on.

It may have just been burning off excess fuel or condensation.

• Member Contributer

You might also have lost some oil up into the airbox through the breather when the bike had its lie down. 

Archived