Starting problems

I bought a 1998 vfr800 couple days ago and it's my 1st bike and it started right up like nothing with no issues. 1 day ago I washed it top to bottom and ever since then it doesn't want to start. I can hear the fuel pump turn on and it cranks but I can smell gas coming from the muffler. I'm wondering if I chocked the engine becuase I had the choke open all the way and the weather wasn't that cold. 

Any tips to solve this?

• Member Contributer

Go to the downloads section here and grab the (free)factory service manual for it.  It has a step by step diagnostic section for a no-start condition.  It can be an error to draw a conclusion that the washing caused or contributed to the problem.  If you don't have a multi meter, grab one - they're not that expensive and are a must have for any tool box.  Post up as you go through the steps,  you'll get plenty of knowledgeable help here to walk you through it. 

• Member Contributer

The FI system has a smart way to clear a flooded engine, just wind the twist grip full open when you press the starter button, the system knows what you are doing and shuts off the fuel injectors when you do this. Then try to start the bike normally i.e. use "choke" and no throttle.

PS it's not really a choke, the lever operates starter valves which allow more air to enter the engine resulting in a fast idle. 

• Member Contributer

Do you also have the Owners Manual? If not you can also download this from the forum.

During the bike wash scenario. Did you at any stage start a cold engine, run it for a very short period, like to ride it back into the garage then switch it off still cold? This could explain a flooded engine the next day trying to start.

There is a Flooded Engine Start procedure in the Owners Manual, give that a go, as Terry mentioned. See attached.

You may need to repeat the procedure a few times to purge the excess fuel, but hopefully it will cough and splutter back to life. Make sure you have a well charged healthy battery.

Also, while in Neutral, just try raising the Side Stand, does this have any effect on the bike starting?

IMG_0992.png

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, VFR800RYDER4LIFE said:

Thanks for the help and also I took out the spark plug and it's burnt and no spark and the plug was wet with gas. So I'm going to replace all 4 plugs and see if that will fire up. 

And that's why I mentioned, raising the side stand to see if this helps. Did you try that????

Side stand and neutral switch are part of the Ignition Enable logic for the ECM.

• Member Contributer

Side stand switch can also be kicked by your heel when stabbing to put it down.

In which case, not only should you test starting with it up, but you might also need to get multimeter to test actual electrical operation of side stand switch.

• Member Contributer

Hmmm, spark-plugs have coating that allows them to be installed dry... one time only. If you re-use plug, then it's best to put some anti-seize on threads.

To get out:

1. spray PB-Blaster to loose threads and let sit overnight

2. use large screw-extractor to remove. 

PlugBrokenExtracted1.thumb.jpg.a2d528d001d12806c3ae8e346a892157.jpg

• Member Contributer

Glad you have it all sorted with the broken plug thread removed.

Seems highly unlikley that after washing your bike suddenly all 4 plugs go bad!

More likley you had a flooded situation and fitting dry, clean plugs would rectify that situation, as would drying the original plugs and purging the cylinders.

Nice new plugs always a good thing anyway.

Advice - whenever you start a cold engine, make sure you either head off for a ride or let it warm up a little. Shutting off a cold engine can cause a flooded engine situation for the next cold start.

Archived