Paint care Products.

Grum

• Member Contributer

After many years of using various high quality polish products on my VFR's I feel I've really struck gold with this one. All my motorcycle buddies know how fussy I am with my bike apperance!

Not sure if its available overseas and ok, it is an Australian product(no commercial gain to me). It's just the best and easiest I've found to date.

Bowden's Carnuba Body Wax.

This product goes on and off sooooo easily AND leaves no annoying white polish residue on your seat or any other black surface.

Bike photo, just given a quick once over polish with this stuff. She comes up nice having done 80,000kms.

Cheers.:fing02:

20210109_123819.jpg

SCA_323485_hi-res.jpg

• Like 5

• Member Contributer
On 1/8/2021 at 9:02 PM, Grum said:

After many years of using various high quality polish products on my VFR's I feel I've really struck gold with this one. All my motorcycle buddies know how fussy I am with my bike apperance!

Not sure if its available overseas and ok, it is an Australian product(no commercial gain to me). It's just the best and easiest I've found to date.

This product goes on and off sooooo easily AND leaves no annoying white polish residue on your seat or any other black surface.

Bike photo, just given a quick once over polish with this stuff.

SCA_323485_hi-res.jpg

I am probably just as crazy about my bike(s) appearance...(I get asked quite often on my 20 year old 5th, "Is that new?")... and I like to try darn near everything to test out how it goes... I admit I have gone down the Ceramic Rabbit hole of products, and they are quite nice. But I do like a good Carnauba product too, and I will have to try the Bowden's if I can get it. 

I also have an OCD stash/list of stuff for about any surface cleaning and polish and situation.  A big shout out to Autogeek in Florida for their huge selection of detail products. 

Cheers all.. :beer:

BTW -- looking AWESOME Grum!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 1/8/2021 at 7:02 PM, Grum said:

Bike photo, just given a quick once over polish with this stuff.

Thank you for bringing this up Grum! I know exactly what you're talking about when it comes to being really really fussy about the appearance of you motorcycle(s). I've used Mothers products for a long time and have had great results with a lot of their products. I've also been introduced to a product, and have recently used, that is from the aviation world called Plexus. The person that introduced it to me owns and uses it on his own aircraft. I have always used what was called Original Bike Spirits until now, but I do believe those days are over. I was somewhat skeptical, at first, about Plexus, but after using it on several of my motorcycles I'm hooked. I understand airplane pilots use it on their windshields to clean and maintain them and the man that told me about it can testify that he will not use anything else on his aircraft. Looks as though I won't be using anything else either. Now, the Plexus can be somewhat pricy. I purchased a can of it from my local Kawasaki dealer and it was $27 US. I'm sure you can get it cheaper online. I tried this on a couple windscreens on my other bikes and I couldn't believe what a difference it made. Not only can you use it on the windscreens of your motorcycle(s) but anything plastic on them as well i.e. fairings front and rear and any other ABS plastic body parts. It says it is static free as well, keeping dirt from attracting to it. Thus far I'm a big fan of Plexus and plan on using it from now on.

619IENaEJrL._AC_SL1000_.jpg09-29710.jpgBike Spirits Spray Cleaner Polish

I do have a question about tire dressing. What do you guys use to clean the road grim off the sidewalls of your tires to make them look nice?

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Kbear said:

I do have a question about tire dressing. What do you guys use to clean the road grim off the sidewalls of your tires to make them look nice?

Thanks for the heads up on Plexus, a buddy with a 5th gen has always raved about Plexus. I've never used it but after your experience with it I might track some down. Imagine it would be excellent for helmet visors.

A cheaper version I do use is VuPlex Plastic Cleaner and Anti-Static Polish, excellent on visors etc.

WARNING - Do not use any form of automotive spray on tire shine on Motorcycle Tires! A friend of mine did this to his Yamaha R6, he slid off at the first roundabout he went through! I have on the rare occasion used a rag with Kerosene on the sidewalls and then a dry rag to wipe it dry.

s-l400.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Kbear said:

For a nice black, non-shiny surface I always use a good dose of original Simple Green and a stiff bristle plastic brush on my tires. Spray a liberal amount on and then give them a good scrub. It seems to lift/release a lot more dirt/oil than soap or other cleaners and leaves the sidewalls looking nice and dark black - with no grease/oil/dressing involved. I don't top dress the rubber with anything. 

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Plexus is a little too waxy for my taste, used quite a few things, but one can keep it simple with good old Honda Polish, leaves no residue even on black plastics, windshields,etc.  Apply with a microfiber towel, then light buff with a clean microfiber towel.

If you have a scuff or light scratch somewhere, use Novus #2 and some elbow grease, Novus #1 will also clean/shine up windshields, visors, etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, raYzerman said:

Plexus is a little too waxy for my taste

Thank you for your input!! That's odd because I didn't have that experience. The man who recommended it to me uses it on a 38 year old motorcycle including the windscreen and it still looks new that's how I found out about it. I wanted to know how he kept it looking that new. That's when he told me he uses it on his Aircraft as well. Not sure if it's so respected in the Aviation Industry why they would want to use it if it left a waxy residue? Well, I've never tried Honda Polish and maybe I should. Next time I'm at the dealer I will look into getting some and trying it. 

11 hours ago, adkfinn said:

For a nice black, non-shiny surface I always use a good dose of original Simple Green and a stiff bristle plastic brush on my tires. Spray a liberal amount on and then give them a good scrub. It seems to lift/release a lot more dirt/oil than soap or other cleaners and leaves the sidewalls looking nice and dark black - with no grease/oil/dressing involved. I don't top dress the rubber with anything. 

Thank you, as well, for your input!! I have some Simple Green next to the shop sink think I'll give this a try! 

11 hours ago, Grum said:

Imagine it would be excellent for helmet visors.

To be honest I totally forgot about using it on helmet visors and the entire helmet all together. I'll be trying it on a couple helmets tonight for sure.

By the way Grum that's one cool lookin' VFR you have!!

• Like 3

• Member Contributer

May as well add to the thread on detailing....... technology marches on... 

I keep trying products as they come out, and in the last 6 months or so, Turtle Wax Hybrid Solution products - Shine and Seal, Ceramic Wet Wax, and then the  Graphene Flex wax

come out fantastic on paint  -gloss over the top........ 

I follow Apex Detail on YouTube, and Brian there does a great job on giving pro tips on detailing...... 

Cheerz :beer:

• Member Contributer
On 1/9/2021 at 12:02 PM, Grum said:

Bike photo, just given a quick once over polish with this stuff. She comes up nice having done 80,000kms.

20210109_123819.jpg

SCA_323485_hi-res.jpg

As I was nearly out of Carnuba wax ( Mother’s pure Brazilian) I went out and bought a bottle of this. Appearance of the product isn’t as rich looking as the mothers but you never said how good it smelled Grum. I could get addicted to this stuff. Used a little on the roof of my car, and it came up great. Will do the bike next week. It certainly is easy to apply and remove.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
34 minutes ago, Philois1984 said:

As I was nearly out of Carnuba wax ( Mother’s pure Brazilian) I went out and bought a bottle of this. Appearance of the product isn’t as rich looking as the mothers but you never said how good it smelled Grum. I could get addicted to this stuff. Used a little on the roof of my car, and it came up great. Will do the bike next week. It certainly is easy to apply and remove.

Hi mate. Yeah, have to admit it smells finger lickin good! Give your bike a wash down, dry it, then apply the stuff, your bike will love it. You can leave your "Mother's Brazillian" alone!

Cheers :beer:

• Haha 1

Did do some work on a couple helmets with the Plexus. Works really great. Took the VFR for a night ride last night, as well, and had to clean a bunch of bug carcasses off the frontend of the bike this morning. Thought since I was at it I would do a once over on the TRANSALP. You can't see from the cell phone images just how good it worked but trust me it's awesome. There's a place on the right side of the gas tank where your knee would be placed that I could never seem to buff out the dull area on the decals, but Plexus did it today.

1002578514_20210806_0955131.jpg

1510373646_20210806_0955351.jpg

20210806_095525[1].jpg

• Like 2