My journey so far with a rescued 2007 vfr800 (Frankenstein)

Zacharmento

So this is my first post so I’ll introduce, I’m 25 I live in Wilmington Nc and I’m a motorcycle tech at a local shop (new career change I was a diesel tech before) this bike showed up at a buddy’s tow company, it had been squished between two cars while waiting for a light to change. I ended up picking it up for 300$ as the owner abandon it at my buddy’s place.

This was the first time it was started by me after getting it.

9F3AB38E-1965-4476-85CF-3578C6A4C8A2.thumb.jpeg.3b870b95f364cab5c1d33e3b1be7a53b.jpeg202261E7-3D26-47F1-AFEA-CA4343806670.thumb.jpeg.83b16b4050c68f45d372841a823888c9.jpegSince then I’ve had plenty of opportunity to try other plastics off of a bunch of sport bikes, I’ve been lurking on this site for a while and from what I’ve found fire blade parts fit pretty good, so think of my surprise when I found a front cowl off of a 2003 in a dusty box in the back of our shop0DA33948-DC27-482E-9381-F825857FCBBA.thumb.jpeg.c5760c255e403b0f3033234252473a0f.jpegit started me thinking. So the parts on it now are 2003 sides and front cowl, headlights are from an 06 I think and the tail is an 07 with a matching rear seat and an 03 f4i front seat not sure about the windshield but I found it in a pile and it seems to fit pretty good,E6B1F996-789E-4615-9D50-B4E03555F956.thumb.jpeg.75a99ae9b5089f2971f86b1d0899adbf.jpegi also sourced an exhaust from a buddy for some old used tires, all and all I’m about 5 or 6 hundred total including the cost of the bike. D9A64077-EDA6-4A45-91D9-F5590662FE0D.thumb.jpeg.0ed2b9430e43f83d716a2c08534f2f7f.jpegF22B6961-EF63-46EC-8ACC-E78F86D94591.thumb.jpeg.767549522ae7eaf2dd2ba607a7aa38cc.jpegI’m all about doing everything with my own hands so any advice or tips or general feedback or ideas would be great! Anyway excited to see what you guys think.

I do have a couple questions, the charcoal canister mounted to the front bottom of the engine; mine has the plastic tabs broken off and I was wondering what it does and how it can be deleted I’m pretty sure it’s just some emissions crap, but I don’t want to throw a code,

I have access to some tuning software but not sure that I can tune a stock Honda computer or if it can be done.

Also I’m interested in the clear stator cover mod, but am not sure if it’s something you buy or if you have to fab one for this bike.

so far I’ve replaced the front end, unbent and rebuilt the factory rear subframe, minus all the brackets,(all got destroyed) 

Also would like some ideas on how to mount the seats(03f4i front and 2007 cbr1000rr rear seat  on 2007 vfr800 rear subframe) my tail plastic position is pretty flexible as I haven’t mounted it but it fits nicely at several distances from the tank.

lastly my oil cooler was mashed and not fixable so I’ve looped the oil lines and deleted it, Possiable side affects of this? Doesn’t seem like it needs it unless you where going a long distance at high rpms, or carrying a bunch of weight, I’m like 180 and my wife 105, with no saddlebags, doesn’t seem like I need it but I’m curious to hear what others think!

0F5D2BA2-E4A4-4478-88DD-5FA69EBD0B00.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Welcome!

Love the first post. Excellent project and media. Keep us posted.

Although, I gotta say, the story of how this bike came to you -- "squished while stopped at a light" -- will give any motorcyclist the heebie jeebies. Well, this motorcyclist anyway.

Regarding:

Also I’m interested in the clear stator cover mod, but am not sure if it’s something you buy or if you have to fab one for this bike.

The clutch cover mod is very trick-looking. The resident expert is SEBSPEED, who fabs them in his NY shop, given a cover you provide:

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/82289-my-sebspeed-custom-clear-clutch-cover-experience

I would message him and see if he is still doing these.

• Member Contributer

Looks like a great project and your moving along fine. :beer:

2 cents - dont delete the oil cooler, find a replacement! These bikes run hot..

A while you're at it... if it runs check the charging system. That's the weak spot on most VFRs...

Keep at it and keep posting.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond :beer:

Search for "flapper mod" to find how-to's on removing the EVAP stuff.  

You can also remove the PAIR stuff; if the hoses etc bother you. You'll need block of plates.  I never felt the need to remove it from my RC51.

And indeed, SEBSPEED the the man to to to for a clear clutch cover

• Member Contributer

What a great start to a VFR life, well done.

Lots of very competent tech advice on here so I'll shut up and let them speak. :beer:

4 hours ago, RobF said:

Welcome!

Love the first post. Excellent project and media. Keep us posted.

Although, I gotta say, the story of how this bike came to you -- "squished while stopped at a light" -- will give any motorcyclist the heebie jeebies.

Yeah I’m not superstitious, I actually rode it to my work like it was in the video with the bent forks, no likes and as the sun was going down, the last 1/4 mile before I arrived at the shop the makeshift oil cooler delete blew off and soaked me and the bike in hot oil, luckily I was able to shut her down before the oil got emptied but it sure got scare when the oil got to the back wheel, it was a bit scare but I’ve been on two wheel since I was little 

2 hours ago, Dutchy said:

And indeed, SEBSPEED the the man to to to for a clear clutch cover

How do I message him and Thankyou I’m formiller with flapper and pair  didn’t realize that they where part of that canister! Thanks friends

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Zacharmento said:

How do I message him and Thankyou I’m formiller with flapper and pair  didn’t realize that they where part of that canister! Thanks friends

image.png.02d4084aa98dd53a42a80aa2794e98fb.pngTop right of your screen has the messaging icon

Here's one he prepared earlier 

herfst2_zps8c5c12e1.thumb.jpg.f6f4cfc2267f72b29f79c2fc4fc53f34.jpg

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Zacharmento said:

Ohhh I like it!!! Do you know how much they go for?

Hi

I think you should check for "Sebspeed Customs" on FB if you are on there.  Google may get you there too. I think you have to provide a clutch cover for the work. 

Seb doesnt check this forum much anymore.... 

😎

Archived