98’ Charity project

jk0311

Good evening Ladies and Gents,

I haven’t posted in a hot minute, mostly cause COVID has reshaped my entire livelihood, but also cause there is not much progress to be posted on my build thread. I promise I’m working on the build but this thread is about something a bit different. Ok well, entirely different. I ran across an add on FB where a woman (widowed) was trying to sell her late husbands 98 VFR. I’ve been corresponding with her and I think we are close to an agreement for the bike, which is in parts bins, and I’ll be trying to collect it this month. This brings me to the point of this post. I would like to part the bike out and donate a portion of the proceeds to her and her family. Would you fine group of VFR enthusiasts be willing to donate to this cause and get some Viffer parts in return? 2020 was a wild ride and this woman and her young children have endured quite a bit. I would really like to help in any way I can and I hope you all will too. Please post here or in PM and express your interest. If there is enough I’ll start a classified add in the appropriate section. 

thanks all, and Happy New Year!

• Member Contributer

You might want to clarify what's for sale.   Is the build project the '98, or is the entire VFR for sale?  If the latter maybe give an idea of mileage,  condition and what's missing.  

14 hours ago, Fritzer said:

Are there any hard bags with it?

Not that I am aware of. A full inventory has not been completed. 

12 hours ago, Cogswell said:

You might want to clarify what's for sale.   Is the build project the '98, or is the entire VFR for sale?  If the latter maybe give an idea of mileage,  condition and what's missing.  

The whole bike is there from what I have seen and been told. If someone wants a whole bike in a box or the parts are sold individually makes no real difference to me. I am unaware of mileage as the title does not list it, but parts condition looks to be average to above average.

• 5 weeks later...

Good evening Viffer peeps. Finally made it up to frigid Minnesota and picked up the VFR. It is literally in a half dozen bins and boxes, all meticulously labeled and sorted. I haven't had time to really get into all of it yet but the frame and swingarm are in great shape, the tank has some scratches (my fault... stupid story) and the fairings look mostly good aside from some small scuffs, maybe from a very low speed drop or driveway drop. Ill be running all the engine parts through my ultrasonic cleaner and reassembling with new bearings but I have not decided weather I should part this one out or rebuild and sell. Remember the majority of funds received for the parts/ sale of the bike will go back to the widow of the previous owner, so what are your thoughts on which direction I should take? Ill see if I can power the gauge cluster up this weekend and pull the milage.

23 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

I say put it back together so someone can enjoy bike.

I gotta admit this idea is really appealing to me. Perhaps do a donations funded giveaway. Pay a donation and get your raffle ticket, funds go towards the build and the widow and her children. Thoughts?

• Member Contributer

Congrats!  At least you got everything labelled..... not like the project I brought home, complete basket case, no labels whatsoever, lol.  Yep, complete bike in there believe it or not.  Yes I did put it all back together with a replacement engine (no way to fix this one).  So, just passing along some incentive!!

20171220_115556 (Large).jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.96670a72295a5da2063c917a85a0432e.jpeg

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, jk0311 said:

I gotta admit this idea is really appealing to me. Perhaps do a donations funded giveaway. Pay a donation and get your raffle ticket, funds go towards the build and the widow and her children. Thoughts?

I don't like raffles personally. Then again, I don't like gambling.

Anyone who wants to donate can. Then person who wants bike can pay market price. Seems more fair that way.

• Member Contributer

I think you're going to have a hard time getting this off the ground until you post up some good photos of it.  Even for members that have the ability and motivation to do this, they still want to see what they're working with.  Personally I'd like to see it going down the road again - but from a financial standpoint, it's probably worth more as parts than as a unit.   I got some 5th gen components a couple of years ago from a '98 with 8,xxx miles on it - very clean except for a few mildly broken plastics.  But, the breaker dismantled it anyway as it was worth more that way vs after being repaired - even though it was in lovely condition.    Some of the components are getting difficult to find, particularly nice examples, so some of them might find good bids.   Just my $.02. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2021 at 7:38 PM, Cogswell said:

I think you're going to have a hard time getting this off the ground until you post up some good photos of it.  Even for members that have the ability and motivation to do this, they still want to see what they're working with.  Personally I'd like to see it going down the road again - but from a financial standpoint, it's probably worth more as parts than as a unit.   I got some 5th gen components a couple of years ago from a '98 with 8,xxx miles on it - very clean except for a few mildly broken plastics.  But, the breaker dismantled it anyway as it was worth more that way vs after being repaired - even though it was in lovely condition.    Some of the components are getting difficult to find, particularly nice examples, so some of them might find good bids.   Just my $.02. 

I like the romantic idea of reassembly and a new life for the bike, but I'll agree with all of this, Plenty of parts I'd be interested in..

15 hours ago, Crewwolfy said:

I like the romantic idea of reassembly and a new life for the bike, but I'll agree with all of this, Plenty of parts I'd be interested in..

Noted... Guess its off to the classified section!!

Archived