Help needed. Cant get oem exhaust off

Duck

Can anyone help.. pics if you have them.

I am removing the oem exhaust to replace it with stainless full exhaust.

I cannot get at the bolt/nut holding the cataltic convertor to the frame. I do now know how to get at it. Im am lay under the bike puzzled how to get enough force to remove these so the exhautst can be taken off. Any help would be greatly appreciated

16095156671208329373335946802848.jpg

• Member Contributer

That nut / bolt looks pretty crusty.  Some options mite be penatrating oil, possibly a small wire brush to get the crud off the exposed threads, heat it with a hand held torch, a small cutoff wheel from a Dremel if you can get access, or maybe as a last resort take it to a shop that has a plasma cutter and cut the nut off. You'll have to be creative and persistent. 

• Member Contributer

PB Blaster overnight and let it soak in.

use 6-sided socket with ratchet-wrench handle extension. Even a short 6-inch pipe can help increase torque sufficiently to break lots of things loose that seemed impossible before. On more exposed bolts (like front-sprocket), I'll use handle of floor-jack for 3-ft extension.

Duck , you are going to have to cut that nut off.  I used a dremel with a cutting disk. You can also use an angle grinder if you go carefully.

Failing that a large socket at both ends , and you will probably find the bold shears. 

On 1/3/2021 at 1:11 PM, Careca said:

Duck , you are going to have to cut that nut off.  I used a dremel with a cutting disk. You can also use an angle grinder if you go carefully.

Failing that a large socket at both ends , and you will probably find the bold shears. 

I am on with that. Its one hell of an awkward nut and bolt to get off. New ones ordered.

So cold lay on the floor of a non heated garage trying to cut the nut off... 😫🦆

I feel your shivers. Been there , done that. 

I invested in a motorcycle work table . Best £350 I ever spent , and one of those mechanic chairs on wheels.  Transformed my life. Little things, eh.

I  have old towels  to lie on if and when needed plus some old cushions.  Both work a treat.

If you are still struggling with it, where abouts are you . If you are close I don't mind helping and I have a dremel and angle grinder. 

Nat

56 minutes ago, Careca said:

I feel your shivers. Been there , done that. 

I invested in a motorcycle work table . Best £350 I ever spent , and one of those mechanic chairs on wheels.  Transformed my life. Little things, eh.

I  have old towels  to lie on if and when needed plus some old cushions.  Both work a treat.

If you are still struggling with it, where abouts are you . If you are close I don't mind helping and I have a dremel and angle grinder. 

Nat

Im north west uk.

Its the most awkward of positions to get at.

Im partish way through the nut at the minute with a dremel tool, But the cold has reduced me to waiting till the snow subsides.

I have so many things to do on this bike over the winter weeks ( swap oem shock for a vfr1200 shock with a shim, do the o2 sensor trick with 330 ohm resistors. Full stainless exhaust with develick end can. Pair valve block off..).

All slowed down because of a nut and bolt 🤣.

🦆

NORTH WEST........................way too far. Sadly you are on your own .

Can you get a small portable heater in ?

The dremel should make short work of that nut/bolt  with a cutting disk .  Persevere. 

Sounds to me you are doing what i did to my VFR when lockdown started back in March . Ive kept mine standard apart from a YSS rear shock, black widow stainless system , k&n air filter and a power commander V . Waiting for the weather to improve to go get a custom map.

1 minute ago, Careca said:

NORTH WEST........................way too far. Sadly you are on your own .

Can you get a small portable heater in ?

The dremel should make short work of that nut/bolt  with a cutting disk .  Persevere. 

Sounds to me you are doing what i did to my VFR when lockdown started back in March . Ive kept mine standard apart from a YSS rear shock, black widow stainless system , k&n air filter and a power commander V . Waiting for the weather to improve to go get a custom map.

Think a k&n filter and a power commander is next... the powercommanders expensive?

The cheapest I could find was £350 . Vanguard motorsport.

Glen there was really good and helpful .

https://www.vanguardmotorsport.com/

Did me a map which made a noticeable difference . The bikes run lean anyway, with changing the exhaust and a k&n it will lean out the fuel mixture even more. 

Between 70-80 mph on the motorway if I wanted to go faster, open the throttle all the way, it made more noise but didn't really get going. Now just a small movement of the wrist and she responds. 

I am gathering some exhaust pics for you . Give me a mo 

Here you go.

I would change the exhaust studs for new genuine Honda ones and the nuts as well . 

877306616_VFREXHAUST1.thumb.jpg.4734b947bd96440cf0af7caa51783e65.jpg

263206030_VFREXHAUST2.thumb.jpg.1771cf28666e61726b45cc2bb3c32751.jpg

107161666_VFREXHAUST3.thumb.jpg.098d81f6eb42ccbd2883eef621181050.jpg

1467661246_VFREXHAUST4.thumb.jpg.416ec0e5b2811ae87e2e57e6f06b7e88.jpg

1918191290_VFREXHAUST5.thumb.jpg.0cfb9e3cb1d4d7e3f6356349458cb092.jpg

2024886971_VFREXHAUST6.thumb.jpg.fc1419e7adf78dbaacfc2256c30932d0.jpg

971155102_VFREXHAUST7.thumb.jpg.b7ea343c7aa5c1a8e6bd7e975f3e4cac.jpg

1240035195_VFREXHAUST8.thumb.jpg.0215e3c9616b3ab08e77bf656b970d07.jpg

2043524363_VFREXHAUST9.thumb.jpg.b2046eef1ddf39252edd10b8e69dd895.jpg

That should keep you busy for 5 minutes.

The Power Commander V was very easy to fit. HOWEVER , making a neat and tidy installation of it was a pig if Im honest, but things like that really bother me.

I took lost of bits off, routed it all the way along the left hand side and positioned the unit behind the RR but ahead of it as the RR gets hot and needs air flow to cool.

I cut up an old bicycle inner tube that I had , made 2 pieces and I stretched a bit of inner tube over each side , just to protect the PC and it stops it rattling. 

10931269_PCV1.thumb.jpg.b009218e4334c2b2d64d4a51ec98886f.jpg

Thats you fuel injection plug. Separate this plug and the PC plugs in between these two. Very easy although there is almost no slack in the original loom . 

48141076_PCV2.thumb.jpg.ba5b06229b124a0d339105584bacbc1f.jpg

Routing the PC cable was a pig. I undid engine bolts to allow the cable to sit behind, in a neat position thats protected and not going to melt from engine heat.

597215946_PCV3.thumb.jpg.c75c902ab150effed4831fe9f4243727.jpg

You can just see the PC , tucked into a little recess in the subframe with its wiring cable tied to the rear subframe. Its nicely tucked away but still easy to access should you need it . 

Hope that helps,

Nat

27 minutes ago, Careca said:

Did me a map which made a noticeable difference . The bikes run lean anyway, with changing the exhaust and a k&n it will lean out the fuel mixture even more. 

Between 70-80 mph on the motorway if I wanted to go faster, open the throttle all the way, it made more noise but didn't really get going. Now just a small movement of the wrist and she responds. 

Wow.. the pics are awesome.. damn that bikes clean and neat.

Have you done the O2 sensor thing or left your o2 sensors in?

30 minutes ago, Careca said:

IMG_20201023_163815_optimized_optimized.jpg

Originally I left my O2 sensors in , but with a power commander you will have to take them off, or at least disconnect them .  The power commander changes the fuel map which the standard ecu wont be able to cope with and will throw a Fi light . The PC kit comes with two  O2 eliminators. You find the O2 plug, disconnect the plug and a little block goes into the loom where you unplugged the O2 sensors from the loom . 2 minute job .

Then you can either leave the O2 sensors in place and tuck the wires away or if your new exhaust comes with blanking plugs you take them out and fit the blanking plugs. The black widow system comes with blanking plugs, which I fitted . I took off the O2 sensors and kept everything , that way if you ever decide to sell the bike you can take everything off and put it back to standard.

34 minutes ago, Careca said:

IMG_20200926_171058_optimized_optimized_optimized.jpg

1 minute ago, Duck said:

IMG_20201023_163815_optimized_optimized.jpg

Thats a Delkevic system if im not mistaken .

Before you fit it, get some Harpic X10 on those pipes. It will clean them right up and they will look great. 

Get a bucket, smear Harpic X10 on a pipe with a brush. Leave for 10 minutes. Then put on some rubber gloves and get a scotch brite pad and give the pipe a scrub with it. Then rinse with clean water. Should come out like new.

The Harpic X10 works on the engine cases but go carefully with it , its got hydrochloric acid in it so only brush it on the bits you want cleaned. Cheap, easy , quck and no scrubbing. Thats how i cleaned my engine.  However make sure you rinse it all off. 

I know its sounds like a lot of work but it isn't and youll have a great looking bike at the end of it. 

26 minutes ago, Careca said:

Thats a Delkevic system if im not mistaken .

Before you fit it, get some Harpic X10 on those pipes. It will clean them right up and they will look great. 

Get a bucket, smear Harpic X10 on a pipe with a brush. Leave for 10 minutes. Then put on some rubber gloves and get a scotch brite pad and give the pipe a scrub with it. Then rinse with clean water. Should come out like new.

The Harpic X10 works on the engine cases but go carefully with it , its got hydrochloric acid in it so only brush it on the bits you want cleaned. Cheap, easy , quck and no scrubbing. Thats how i cleaned my engine.  However make sure you rinse it all off. 

I know its sounds like a lot of work but it isn't and youll have a great looking bike at the end of it. 

Does it work? Will give it a go.

The swap over of the rear shock is also my plan. Seen a post on this forum to pop one in replacing the oem one 😊

IMG_20201111_114221.jpg

33 minutes ago, Careca said:

A bit of Autosol on that end can and link pipe will get it gleaming.

I have pair plates to fit as well... any advice on them? They have a thread on here describing what to do.

12 hours ago, Duck said:

I have pair plates to fit as well... any advice on them? They have a thread on here describing what to do.

Thats one area I can't help with . I never bothered with that myself. Sorry.

12 hours ago, Duck said:

Does it work? Will give it a go.

The swap over of the rear shock is also my plan. Seen a post on this forum to pop one in replacing the oem one 😊

IMG_20201111_114221.jpg

That should be a straight forward swap and its not a difficult job .

I think your biggest issue will be where to fit the remote adjuster . I am sure someone else who has done this mod can chip in and guide you on that point.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, daved said:

Re exhaust bolt: Mine was in bad shape too, I was surprised it came off with a 6 sided socket, felt like it was going to snap.

exhaust_bolt.jpg

Good job... for best results replace stock steel bolts with stainless steel that will not rust...

Archived