97 vfr750 spark mystery.

Grum, You were correct on the starter clutch. One of the bumps was damaged. I replaced it and it fired right up. Runs amazing, it’s pretty much brand new. Haha Thank you. But now I have another problem I can’t figure out. The clutch will not disengage. With the clutch in, in gear the rear wheel is locked up. Rocking back forward.  Put on center stand, started and still not response.  Put in gear on the stand clutch in and gave some gas and got on the rear brake to see if it would free up but nothing. I replaced the clutch must have done it 10 times before install, just to make sure it was right and rebuilt the slave before with a rebuild kit Bled correctly. Good movement on the rod and lever. If you open oil fill you can see discs move and separate when clutch is pulled. But still no response to the back wheel, locked up. Have any ideas?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Dougwfresh said:

Grum, You were correct on the starter clutch. One of the bumps was damaged. I replaced it and it fired right up. Runs amazing, it’s pretty much brand new. Haha Thank you.

Well that is good news, glad you finally got around to checking it! Good to hear the engine is running.

As for your clutch that's strange. If your're confident you've properly bled the system, I'd be pulling the discs out and making sure the clutch inner and outer are not somehow binding or locked together.

Yeah, that’s my next move. Is to take it back apart. I also noticed a sound from the clutch area with the clutch is pulled. Like the pressure plate is rubbing the inside of the case. Only when I pull the clutch. I turned it off right then. Got to get back into it and see what’s going on.

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, Dougwfresh said:

Grum, You were correct on the starter clutch. One of the bumps was damaged. I replaced it and it fired right up. Runs amazing, it’s pretty much brand new. Haha Thank you.

Good job on repair!!! Can you post photos of damaged trigger bumps? Thx

Awesome!  Glad it was figured out!  Thanks to Grum and his suspicion of the clutch bumps!  First 

time I heard of it.   Good info to keep in mind now.

Weird issue on the clutch tho.  Especially if you see the clutch plates separate.  Only taking it all apart will the mystery be solved.

Archived