3rd Gen Staintune? Help Identifying

• Member Contributer

I bought this for pretty cheap from a seller who told me it was for a 3rd gen. I had my doubts because I know 3rd gens take those flange-style slip ons. I figured I'd take a chance on it given how rare Staintune seems to be for 3rd gen. I used to have a 3rd gen but sold it a long time ago, so I can't test it out. I plan on getting another when one pops up around me, but until then, I could really use your guys' help. Thanks.

PXL_20201224_175115799.jpg

PXL_20201224_175215008.jpg

PXL_20201229_175919089.jpg

• Member Contributer

Looked to me more like a 5th gen, but a quick look in the garage tells me conclusively that it is not.  It's also not for a 3rd gen (because it lacks the swivel assembly), unless there is an adapter or something (or you're meant to cut the OEM pipe).  So...4th gen?

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

The mounting bracket on the pipe looks a lot like this one.  This was the cover photo a week or two ago.  Can't tell here if the can has the same bracket yours does.  If you had an OEM 3rd gen can a bit of surgery could likely be done to adapt the connector to your pipe.  There are probably plenty of used 3rd gen OEM cans no one wants.  Who knows - maybe yours was not even made for a Honda.  What's the saying - you can customize anything - all it takes is time and money! 

\

• Member Contributer

Look a couple of posts down - "Rescuing a 91 VFR750" - he goes through repacking a Yosh pipe for it about half way down page 3.   If you look closely at the connector it doesn't look anything like yours.  Tho it may say VFR750 on it,  there's still some mystery to it.

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/96244-rescuing-a-91-vfr750f/page/3/&tab=comments#comment-1119781

• Member Contributer

I've got a 3rd gen Staintune on my 90 model and with Staintune you have to cut the swivel off an old OEM muffler and reuse it with the Staintune pipe.  That does look like the one on my bike.  If you ever decide to sell it please let me know.  I wouldnt mind a spare and I also have a friend with a 90 who is looking for one.  

NIck

IMG_0290.jpg

• Member Contributer

@RC51Nick thanks for the info. Normally I would say contact Adam at Staintune for a new pipe, previously he's made pipes to order.

Though yesterday while researching this issue, I came across the following:

https://staintune.com.au/blogs/news/staintune-site-auction

News
Dec 19, 2020
STAINTUNE SITE AUCTION
STAINTUNE is having a Huge Auction Sale in Early 2021.

All Plant, Equipment and Materials will be available for Auction.

Dates, information and full lot list will be available in January 2021.

Thank you.

I know he's been trying to sell the business and last month he closed the business for "relocation."

Great pipe, unique sound along with motor's gear driven whine.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Tirso said:

News
Dec 19, 2020
STAINTUNE SITE AUCTION

Thank you.

I know he's been trying to sell the business and last month he closed the business for "relocation."

Sad to see that.  Great product - sorry to see it pass in to history.  :sad:

• Member Contributer

Thank you for the help everyone. 

On 12/29/2020 at 11:02 PM, Tirso said:

Model number is here

I can make out "VFR750 H |"

Does the rest say "90-93"?

I didn't notice this before, thanks for pointing it out. It says "VFR750 HI 90-93" like you guessed.

22 hours ago, RC51Nick said:

I've got a 3rd gen Staintune on my 90 model and with Staintune you have to cut the swivel off an old OEM muffler and reuse it with the Staintune pipe.  That does look like the one on my bike.  If you ever decide to sell it please let me know.  I wouldnt mind a spare and I also have a friend with a 90 who is looking for one.  

NIck

Your post was a big help. I'll keep this in mind. I'm located in Maryland but I'm actually from NW Indiana and I usually (barring COVID this year) get back often.

• Member Contributer
On 12/30/2020 at 11:56 AM, Tirso said:

@RC51Nick thanks for the info. Normally I would say contact Adam at Staintune for a new pipe, previously he's made pipes to order.

Though yesterday while researching this issue, I came across the following:

News
Dec 19, 2020
STAINTUNE SITE AUCTION

Thank you.

I think it may have something to do with a change in Australian law regarding aftermarket pipes.  I remember seeing something about a year or so ago right before they closed their online store down.

Archived