For those who have a Sargent seat...

VFRXX

This is my 4th VFR, but my first Sargent for one. It looks great, but am I missing something? What keeps the front seat in place when not using the rear? It fits perfectly, but seems it can slide back fairly easily. I never installed the cowl. Does that hold it somehow? Thanks..

• Member Contributer

Perhaps a picture or two would help. I assume you have a two-piece Sargent. My first Sargent Seat was a one-piece; they are no longer available. In order to lock the seat down for the two-piece layout, the rear pillion seat is required. It has been a while since I've tried the arrangement without the pillion seat and the seat cowl in place. It may hold it but not as securely.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, the seat is made to be used without the rear seat.  It is even advertised on their site.  The front is bolted down in the rear.  The rear section has tangs that go under the front seat then locks in place by the normal locking tab.    I use mine without the rear section but with the cowl.  But it is not easily accessible since I also use a Givi Rack.  Without the Givi rack, you can use either bolts or quick releases to remove the cowl.

On 1/4/2021 at 8:01 PM, eyrwbvfr said:

Actually, the seat is made to be used without the rear seat.  It is even advertised on their site.  The front is bolted down in the rear.  The rear section has tangs that go under the front seat then locks in place by the normal locking tab.    I use mine without the rear section but with the cowl.  But it is not easily accessible since I also use a Givi Rack.  Without the Givi rack, you can use either bolts or quick releases to remove the cowl.

The front is bolted down in the rear? Unless I missed something, it looks like the rear just has tabs that fit under the crossbar. I gotta look again

On 1/7/2021 at 1:44 PM, VFRXX said:

The front is bolted down in the rear? Unless I missed something, it looks like the rear just has tabs that fit under the crossbar. I gotta look again

I stand corrected.  It has reverse hooks on the rear part of the front section.   Still, it is secure enough to not slide back as long as the cowl is mounted, which rests on part of the seat.  

• Member Contributer

I have a two piece on my 5th. I have never used the rear section. My seat stays in place just fine, never noticed any movement worth worrying about. Feels solid to me and I am a big guy, >200lb.

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Same.  I use the cowl and it's never moved and I'm 245 lbs.  I too, wondered how it was going to stay on when I first bought it but it works just fine.

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2021 at 4:52 PM, ducnut said:

Same as the others; I use just the rider seat and seat cowl. No issues. 

879F292E-CB5C-48C0-B112-6492953943B2.png

Umm, that is a well done set of mods on this VFR.  What exhaust headers are those?  I got rid of my passenger pegs also, but that rearset is very nice.  Where is it from?

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, indianagenius said:

Umm, that is a well done set of mods on this VFR.  What exhaust headers are those?  I got rid of my passenger pegs also, but that rearset is very nice.  Where is it from?

The header is a polished VFRD header, found elsewhere in this forum. 

The rearsets are Chinesium specials off eBay for a 929/954. They’re mounted to adapters from Sebastian Seebacher, of Sebspeed Customs, who can be found on FB. 

8AA0129E-ECFF-408D-8955-C1695087B1F9.jpeg

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, ducnut said:

Chinesium

Ah yes. Chinesium. The strongest material on Earth.

• 1 month later...

I'll share a word of warning on the Sargent seat, from my own experience. It's a great seat. But if you take the seat off for maintenance, set it down flat. I leaned it mostly vertical, and it fell on the bottom side, snapping the plastic securing bits. Of course the seat was probably ~10 years old. It works, but I'm shopping for a new seat. Not at all a knock against Sargent, just an unfortunate experience..

Archived